PS1/2 Wasn't there some sort of memory/usb mod-chip a long time ago?

Majorami

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I mentioned it in my previous post but i didn't do it clearly: Swap magic
It's the only "software" method of loading back-up on newer ps2 and it's possible to use ulaunch and home-brew in conjunction with swap magic on a non softmoded ps2.

http://www.swapmagic3.com/

there's a way to boot elf directly from the swap magic boot screen from a flash drive, you simply need a folder named SWAPMAGIC (case sensitive) with a file in it renamed SWAPMAGIC.ELF
http://bootleg.sksap...b/swapmagic.php
Doesn't that require a custom flip top?

Not against them, just need to know if I need to get one.
it can be either that:
http://www.modchip.c...&cat=269&page=1
or you can block the sensors yourself with plastic tape and other stuff, plenty of tutorial on the web exist for each version of ps2.
I'll definately do a flip top if thats the case.

Have you personally run into any compatibility problems? Obviously I'll need to use a good DVD-R, but do you know of any games that just don't play at all?

Lastly, you linked me 3.6 Swap MAgic, but the stores have 3.8, and they're called coder... Care to elaborate?

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'll definately do a flip top if thats the case.
I've never seen a flip top for 9000 ps2, what you need is the swap tool pro, like I indicated in my previous post

Have you personally run into any compatibility problems? Obviously I'll need to use a good DVD-R, but do you know of any games that just don't play at all?
none, but i haven't tried to load a dvd9, the original SM shouldn't be able to load a dvd9 anyway, but I think there's a way to force SM.elf to load dvd9 through freemcboot. If you want to play dvd9 games there are several work-around like splited or ripped disc, esr or open ps2 loader.(the web is your best friend)

Lastly, you linked me 3.6 Swap MAgic, but the stores have 3.8, and they're called coder... Care to elaborate?

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the site you showed me, has news only regarding swap magic up to 3.6. Doesnt mention 3.8 so I'm not sure if its an official product.

swapmagic3.com is the official website, and mentions swap magic coder version a few times. The coder disc have Version 3.8 written on the bottom right area.

3.8 had a added cheat support, as well as supported the very few dual layer games without needing a high TOC retail game and a extra disc change.

alphaspunk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Looking to buy a new PS2 Slim and a whole lot of DVD-Rs. Not looking for the cheapest method, but the easiest method.

Wasn't there some sort of plug-n-play option for USB memory card/usb slot that allowed the PS2 to run any burned copy? just wondering.
If u r thinkin bout buyin a new ps2 then consider the model no and the datecode of the ps2...MCBoot does not run some of the on PS2's havin model no. SCPH90004... I had a ps2 scph90004 with datecode 0D and after housr of vigourous searchin i finally decided to hard mod it...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...