PS1/2 How do I back up my memory card saves with FreeDVDBoot?

CheeseMan13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just recently heard about FreeDVDBoot and have some DVD-Rs lying around and I want to backup my saves from my childhood memory card to my USB and I'm not sure what format my USB should be or how to use FreeDVDBoot to backup my saves. I also heard you have to format your PS2 memory card before installing the FreeMCBoot program so I want to get all the saves off of it so I can move em back to it after I install FMCB. Basically I have no idea how to go about this aside from burning "All PS2 Slims - English language.iso" to a DVD-R and slapping it in my PS2, any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Last edited by CheeseMan13,

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the video. Is that program included in FreeDVDBoot? And I'm still not sure if installing FMCB wipes the memory card first
FMCB gives you the option to format your memory card but it's not required. You just need to have enough free space to install it. Also be aware that some third-party cards don't work with FMCB work for some reason, but this is mostly the super cheap ones from China. I use an official Sony memory card in slot 1 and then one of the cheap 32 MB cards in the second slot for extra space and apps.

I don't know if ulaunchelf is included with FreeDVDBoot but it is included with FMCB.

Reactions: CheeseMan13

CheeseMan13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FMCB gives you the option to format your memory card but it's not required. You just need to have enough free space to install it. Also be aware that some third-party cards don't work with FMCB work for some reason, but this is mostly the super cheap ones from China. I use an official Sony memory card in slot 1 and then one of the cheap 32 MB cards in the second slot for extra space and apps.

I don't know if ulaunchelf is included with FreeDVDBoot but it is included with FMCB.

Thank you! Luckily I still have my old official Sony memcard. How much space do FMCB and OPL (in case I wanna load backups off a USB) take up on the memcard?

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you! Luckily I still have my old official Sony memcard. How much space do FMCB and OPL (in case I wanna load backups off a USB) take up on the memcard?
To be honest I don't remember but I think it was around half of an 8 MB card. It should tell you if there's not enough space, though.

You don't actually need to have your apps on the memory card. You can put them on USB or HDD instead. The FMCB menu lets you add custom entries with those or even multiple locations (ie, look on USB if it's not found on the memory card).

Reactions: CheeseMan13

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Taco Bell is about as Mexican as Pizza Hut
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco bell is authentic Mexican food what are you talking about
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    California is Mexico
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    oled gbasp pl0x
    +1
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    touchscreen?????
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    is there any gba homebrew that would offer use for that?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Touchscreen makes using system menu options for brightness and filter adjustments easier
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @ColdBlitz, who said anything about touchscreen?
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    the video title is
    "We Now Have A Touch Screen And OLED Modded Game Boy Color"
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On screen keys would be cool if the rubber ever fails
    I feel like at that point might as well go emulation lol
    One of those RG things
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some people just like using original hardware for the hobby point of it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can easily buy replacement buttons but it's a good fall back
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    on screen keys would be cool but the gba screen is pretty tiny though :(
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd rather use emulation but it's cool regardless again the main point of the Touchscreen isn't just for buttons but for menu options
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    would be way better for menu options
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    although I have huge doubts anyone would be able to make homebrew that would give support for the touch screen
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    then again theres still people who develop games on systems as old as the nes for fun
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    (
    micromages is amazing btw)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I doubted 360 emulation would be possible
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    yet here we are seeing ps4 and even some (very experimental
    ) ps5 emulation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps5 emulation? Why
    I always thought Saturn emulation would straight up be impossible
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I always thought Saturn emulation would straight up be impossible