Hacking Waninkoko prepares Firmware Updater 4.2

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lightyear said:
Ohhh...ok....so if you've got homebrew then why are still using the shop channel anyway? lol @ anyone still paying for games after installing homebrew
tongue.gif
Having Homebrew does not make you a pirate. If you like a game BUY IT!

rolleyes.gif

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mysticwaterfall said:
TiMeBoMb4u2: You assume I want to upgrade 4.1, I have no need since I don't do much with WiiWare/VC. I was talking 3.4--->3.2 which I'm not bothering with.
Why don't you want to upgrade??

blink.gif

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
TiMeBoMb4u2 said:
mysticwaterfall said:
TiMeBoMb4u2: You assume I want to upgrade 4.1, I have no need since I don't do much with WiiWare/VC. I was talking 3.4--->3.2 which I'm not bothering with.

blink.gif
Perhaps because there is absolutely no need to if you don't play VC games and even if you did you could always use Triiforce. I have yet to find any compelling reason to go beyond 3.2 either - especially as I have not downgraded to get to 3.2, so there is no future risk of bricking.

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ocdetective said:
TiMeBoMb4u2 said:
mysticwaterfall said:
blink.gif
Perhaps because there is absolutely no need to if you don't play VC games and even if you did you could always use Triiforce. I have yet to find any compelling reason to go beyond 3.2 either - especially as I have not downgraded to get to 3.2, so there is no future risk of bricking.

Sure... I like Windows 98 too!

biggrin.gif

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
TiMeBoMb4u2 said:
ocdetective said:
TiMeBoMb4u2 said:
mysticwaterfall said:
blink.gif

biggrin.gif
Well that analogy falls flat as 98 loads way faster than Vista so the only difference is the features and I have already covered that angle. Unless you think 4.0 or 4.1 are perceivably faster?
rolleyes.gif

mverason

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mysticwaterfall said:
I highly doubt that NSMB Wii will require 4.2, because it would have to be on the disk to ensure everybody had it. The latest games coming out still only have 3.4, when 4.0 has been out for a bit now... Plus it would seem easy to bypass the check the game would make.

I'm sticking with 3.4. I actually wish I was still on 3.2, but oh wells.... I'm not going to hassle with downgrading. Installing IOSes hasn't been that big a deal.

EDIT: Looking at WiiBrew, 4.0 came out on March 25th. Wii Sports Resort came out 3 months later, still only had 3.4 on it.

I second that, NSMB won't require 4.2. Lets all place bets.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ocdetective said:
TiMeBoMb4u2 said:
ocdetective said:
TiMeBoMb4u2 said:
mysticwaterfall said:
blink.gif

biggrin.gif
Well that analogy falls flat as 98 loads way faster than Vista so the only difference is the features and I have already covered that angle. Unless you think 4.0 or 4.1 are perceivably faster?
rolleyes.gif

That analogy also has problems in that xp for instance was a major architectural change over 98 and had a slew of new features, when 4.0 really only has one major new feature a lot of people have no need for... updating for the sheer point of upgrading is a little silly.... but hey more power to ya.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic...

Looking over at the 4.2 release thread, it would seem that there are numerous ways to not even need wani's updater anymore while preserving everything except maybe bootmii.... not very elegant right now (hex editing, hbc wads etc), but bushing is upgrading hackmii so after that, no worries.

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ocdetective said:
TiMeBoMb4u2 said:
ocdetective said:
TiMeBoMb4u2 said:
mysticwaterfall said:
blink.gif
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

What technology planet are you living on? You take a fresh 98 machine, boot it and a fresh Vista machine at the same time, and Vista will win most of the time!
I think you should update to 4.2.

rolleyes.gif

lightyear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TiMeBoMb4u2 said:
lightyear said:
Ohhh...ok....so if you've got homebrew then why are still using the shop channel anyway? lol @ anyone still paying for games after installing homebrew
tongue.gif
Having Homebrew does not make you a pirate. If you like a game BUY IT!

rolleyes.gif
I didn't say you 'had to be a pirate' I just meant why not?
tongue.gif
I wasn't trying to insult anyone, I just believe in playing all the games before buying them...and I haven't found a single game from wii shop (vc or ww) in a very long time I personally find good enough to buy. While I can't honestly say I've bought every game I play consistently, I do have intentions of doing so once my financial situation evens out....I'm in a large bind at the moment, and HBC has helped me through this time by being able to play now, buy later
smile.gif

I can understand how you thought that, though...I hear it all the time....'you shouldn't hack your console because that makes you a thief' and it annoys me as well. But that's far from what I meant by my statement, bro
smile.gif

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
Ok, since all of you want to talk about windows versions in comparison wii SM version, first off that is just a bad analogy.

But lets look at it this way. No matter what version of the wii SM you have, you still have the same exact hardware. It is not upgrading the hardware at all.

So lets take for instance a PC and load a vanilla Win 98 on it, then go and load on a vanilla of 2000, XP, Vista, and 7 on that same exact hardware, Win 98 will boot up the fastest.

Not always. Windows 98 is ancient software, and running it on a modern computer would result in nothing but problems. Most computers have no drivers, and you'd get a million device install windows failing to find drivers before you'd even hit the start screen.

And you're also ignoring all of the advances in boot time. Windows 7, for example, boots faster than Vista. (Actually, 7 is faster than Vista at everything, or almost everything at least.) And Vista can often boot faster than XP.

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
Ok, since all of you want to talk about windows versions in comparison wii SM version, first off that is just a bad analogy.
But lets look at it this way. No matter what version of the wii SM you have, you still have the same exact hardware. It is not upgrading the hardware at all.
So lets take for instance a PC and load a vanilla Win 98 on it, then go and load on a vanilla of 2000, XP, Vista, and 7 on that same exact hardware, Win 98 will boot up the fastest.
No. I wish you knew me, so I could prove you wrong. But...If you want to think that, go right ahead. You win.

rolleyes.gif

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh...BTW...

"marcan" says using the hacked TitleID version of The Homebrew Channel is bad!

"Oh, and to those GBATemp failures that think we don’t know what we’re doing (too lazy to remake an account there): HBC with the new TitleID will work fine. Your retarded hacks didn’t, because HBC’s title ID is hardcoded in multiple places inside the binary. “Return to HBC” will work fine. The only thing that will break is DVDX, but there’s already a future-proof fix for that (won’t break again if the ID has to be changed again)."

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
TiMeBoMb4u2 said:
What technology planet are you living on? You take a fresh 98 machine, boot it and a fresh Vista machine at the same time, and Vista will win most of the time!
I think you should update to 4.2.

rolleyes.gif
On the same machine configuration? In your dreams it would! Vista is the epitome of bloatware - thats why the recommended RAM required is 24 times higher than that of 98.
Closer to topic, personally I am not wetting my pants about the features of 4.2 as I have no desire to update (I am loathe to say upgrade lol).

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marcan_troll said:
So you finally made me re-register. BTW: The rules are hilarious, especially the "I will not ask for warez" bit. Hint: asking for or providing hexedited HBC is, technically speaking, warez.

But anyway, I really don't care what people do with their own Wii, I just think it is extremely stupid and dangerous when people provide stupid, broken, dangerous hacks for newbies to use. Want to fuck up every IOS beyond recognition, mod every last bitmap pixel in your Wii, hexedit every title ID to read LULZ, and make the System Menu say "oh shit" when you brick your Wii, just because you think it's funny? Go ahead! Just don't go around publishing that kind of crap, and certainly not without at least 10 pages of red text explaining why it's a really really REALLY stupid idea to install. And for fuck's sake, don't go around offering WAD versions of HBC, hacked or not. It's unsupported and illegal (and against forum rules, not that I'd ever expect the admins to give a shit), but moreso, it's very insulting.

It's not the people who fuck up their consoles that annoy me, it's those that pretend they know what they're doing and then go around publishing crap as if it were the awesomest schtuff in the universe, only to cause grief to users. And this goes for everything from system menu mods to wanky's updaters and patchers. I've gotten several dozen e-mails asking whether you can fix a brick caused by his crappy, untested, unchecked, poorly coded updaters with a SaveMii. The answer is, of course, no you can't.

So, if you screw up your Wii with stupid stuff I'll laugh a little inside, but if you go around publishing crap for the world to use, you'll annoy me and there's a chance I'll publicly flame you. You know, because I hope at least some clueless folk who doesn't know what he's doing who might think twice about touching the stuff after reading my flame. As much as you guys love to flame me, I think the track record of the software I used to help with for the Wii is good enough that at least I must somewhat know what I'm talking about.

Also, hint: there will be no issues caused by the Title ID change for HBC. Just because someone's stupid hexedit didn't work doesn't mean the real release won't. The HAXX title is hardcoded into the return stub left in memory by HBC, not into any apps (we're not monopolistic like that: if you use your own stub, you can make your own loader with a working return to it from apps). In fact, the "return to" stuff existed since the Twilight Hack, and it hasn't changed significantly since then. It predates even knowing how to launch channels or title IDs.

Pre-emptive reply to the whole "but you left the Wii scene" business: I haven't touched a line of Wii code in months. I rarely even test stuff that the rest of the team release now. I've updated to 4.2 (and lost homebrew) to make an exception, so I can test the final release of the new installer (I don't really care about homebrew myself anyway: except for a few Brawl matches, my Wii is gathering dust). I don't follow forums or anything else, and I only hang around on #wiidev and company to help with administration (no, no one has asked me to leave, kthx). I made an exception for this update because I'll admit it got me slightly excited, and because I was again reminded of just how completely stupid some people are when it comes to these things. These days I spend my time on other, less stressful, projects. I'm even about to contribute something that might be used by many more people than all the Wii homebrew business, and yet no one will find out, there will be no flame wars, no idiots messing stuff up. It's so much better that way. I already got a taste of the whole "popular hacky software for consoles which warezors inevitably abuse to warez" business (which is slowly fading away and not quite gone yet), and I don't have any intention of trying it again (don't expect any DSi stuff from me).

litobro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a completely unrelated note, yes, you can run Win 98 on new hardware. You know how i know? I triple booted it with Windows XP for a while. And DOS. (FreeDOS btw, if anyone was wondering.)

On Topic: This is why i prefer my wiikey legacy. It has always worked, always will. I'm just holding off so i can run my VBAGx for pokemon red
biggrin.gif
. And of course, mplayer-ce for my lovely star trek videos.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In regards to marcan's comments, it was always going to better to wait for a hackmii update anyways. They've never let us down yet. I personally would never mess with the core system menu for the reasons marcan says in the 4.2 thread... too much brick potential. But, people are insanely impatient these days....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Glad that the Diddler got caught once again.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Iran ran out of options
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought I saw my ex on that new kingdom of the Apes poster
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I thought I saw a puttie snatch...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm so pumped, NCAA football video game is back after a 10 year hiatus, coming to SeriesS/X, PS5 in July.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love and own on disc still, that is not back compatible, bs.
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @BigOnYa My dad recently bought a spare Series X off of me, got game pass, and saw Madden '24 on Game Pass, decided to try it out.

...He was a bit taken aback by the 60GB download size. Poor guy's still living in the 90s!
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AdenTheThird, Bro's still in the PS2 age.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol charging your dad's classic unless he's the type that doesn't like taking things like that
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @K3Nv2 He was looking into consoles for his house anyway (for my younger siblings and himself) and I had a spare XSX and Switch I ended up selling him at pretty steep cuts. I would just give them to him, but I did buy them with the intent to sell them... and college is super expensive.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A little yeah...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, [insert wut here]
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm a little hi, but bout to fix that.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now I'm low, i was upstairs in my wifeys kitchen, now I'm downstairs in my dungeon.(My basement)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    do you mind? i snuck in with amiibo and jars, and am trying to do my thing brony style
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    have you ever regretted saying something immediately after saying it?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah what i was doing was trying to cure my ever-so-apparent crabs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    my younger brother is forcing me to play with him and my cousins are here *sigh*
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ that Hack a hacked 360 vid was neat, never knew it existed.
    +1
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @SylverReZ that Hack a hacked 360 vid was neat, never knew it existed. +1