louki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

I'm trying to repair a console (not a professional) as mostly an experiment (would be happy to fix it though). The board is a edm-020 with SAMSUNG K4ZAF325BM-SC14 GDDR6.

There's no OS on the ps5 anymore, so it either tells me to update the ps5 when i boot it, or i can go to recovery and update from there.

However, i can't update or reinstall the system from a USB and i keep getting the error SU-101265-5 "The update file is corrupted". The update will go through the "Resetting to factory defaults" (going up to 26% or so, then to 100% really fast), then goes to "Preparing to update system software". In this last phase, it goes to 4% slowly more or less, then starts going faster and quickly shows "The update file is corrupted".

I've tried a lot of things but none of them worked :
  • changed the partitioning of the USB key : i tried MS-DOS/GPT partition tables, and both exFAT and FAT32
  • tried to install recovery update files and regular update files, even tried older versions but none changed anything (still the same error). I verified the checksum of the update file on the usb key each time, and properly removed it from my PC to account for write cache
  • tried to update from both the regular boot (i get the recovery menu at this point, but everything is greyed out except from the full reset), i also tried to update/reinstall from the recovery mode (there i get all the options)
  • tried all the options of the recovery mode (Change video output (did not work), Repair console storage, Update system software, restore default settings, clear cache and rebuild database, reset ps5, reset ps5 (reinstall system software)). Some options might not even make sense since there seems to be no OS installed anymore, but i still tried
  • tried to update from the front and back USB ports (i did not try USB-C though)
  • tried updating using ethernet

I still get the same error.

I then dismounted the ps5 but it looked in good shape inside (i mean the overall state), and soldered wires to get the UART error codes. I then used this nice tutorial from stetofix to use ps5-wee-tool, i also tried Console-Service-Tool. As i said i'm not a professional, so i can't pay a lot for software since i'm already losing money for this project.

The sofwares seem to work great, however i don't get any errors (here i chose to keep the error of the force reboot, just to show i've got error codes):

Code:
[Slot #]    [Date Time]        [Error Code]    [Priority]        [Error Message]

00    26/03/2024 21:32:34    80C00140    Low        APU Halt (No Response) - Forced Power Off Via Power Button

|-(OK 00000000 80C00140 17038E11 81000005 00010000 217B 001E 2C1C 192C:0D)

Click for TSB Information

01    07/02/2148 07:31:44    FFFFFFFF    Low        No Errors

|-(OK 00000000 FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF:5A)

Click for TSB Information
-

Before this, i cleaned the errorlog but i remember seeing GDDR6 errors (i did not take a snapshot ...). I guess i deleted runtime errors from when the ps5 was still running.

So now I'm lost, as there seemingly is no error ...

I have some ideas of what i could do, but it would be a shot in the dark :
  • check if other components might be shorted or broken
  • reflashing the onboard firmware (read something about NOR, i have access to rom flashing tools so i could try that but i would need the right firmware dump). my theory is that the bios/uefi/something on the ps5 that is handling the update might be broken (but i would expect it to crash maybe rather than showing an error)
  • resolder some of the memory chips : i read this error could come from a broken SSD controller, it would also make sense if some other storage chip is broken.
  • replace some of the memory chips : too expensive to do blindly

Did any of you ever had this issue ? What could i do next to try and fix this ?

Thanks

Last edited by louki,

Johnny_debt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt you have any shorts on the board since it boots. Have you tried another usb stick?

Bad memory can cause this issue.

louki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have tried with another usb stick but i get the same error.

I remember having UART errors linked to GDDR6 but i cleaned the errorlog without taking a snapshot ... Now i don't have any errors, but i watched a video called "#99 Repair of PS5 Corrupt Update" from ToltecMerc on youtube where he replaces all GDDR6 chips because of the same error (Micron to Samsung ram apparently).

I have SAMSUNG K4ZAF325BM-SC14, do you know where i could buy these ? i'm also wondering if i could swap the SAMSUNG ram for another brand.

The board is a edm-020 btw.
Post automatically merged:

Small update : I tried updating using ethernet but still the same error.

And i can't get the GDDR6 errors i had before i cleaned the error log, i've tried all the recovery options + updating again.

Last edited by louki,

ToltecMerc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would guess bad RAM. I believe the update file is de-compressed in RAM before being applied to storage. I have fixed by replacing the RAM before.

Reactions: louki

louki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would guess bad RAM. I believe the update file is de-compressed in RAM before being applied to storage. I have fixed by replacing the RAM before.
I've seen your video, really interesting stuff ! The issue i have now is finding 8 SAMSUNG K4ZAF325BM-SC14 chips ... On Aliexpress, this specific chip costs like 15 to 20 euros and they are probably garbage. I might try the Micron ram, but the price is similar (23 dollars on Mouser, it's even listed as end-of-life which is crazy).

Any ideas how i could buy these ?

ToltecMerc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen your video, really interesting stuff ! The issue i have now is finding 8 SAMSUNG K4ZAF325BM-SC14 chips ... On Aliexpress, this specific chip costs like 15 to 20 euros and they are probably garbage. I might try the Micron ram, but the price is similar (23 dollars on Mouser, it's even listed as end-of-life which is crazy).

Any ideas how i could buy these ?
I have ordered from AliExpress before and gotten good parts. Not cheap though. I can't post a link unfortunately.

Reactions: louki

louki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have ordered from AliExpress before and gotten good parts. Not cheap though. I can't post a link unfortunately.

I was going to ask you to send me a private message, but links are also disabled there (you need to have written 5 messages i think before being granted permission).

Can you maybe give the name of the store or the end of the url ?

If you had success with Aliexpress GDDR6 I could give it a shot !

I was also wondering if you had tried SAMSUNG K4ZAF325BM-HC14 instead of SAMSUNG K4ZAF325BM-SC14 ?

Thanks

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
I don't see any reason SC14 would not compatible with HC14. From Samsung site, SC14 should be the EOL(end of life) HC14 replacement.

1713462269219.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto