Wall Street Journal reports Nintendo will release a revised model of the Nintendo Switch in 2019

Switch-WSJ_10-04-18.jpg

The Wall Street Journal is claiming that Nintendo is planning on developing a new hardware revision of the Nintendo Switch. Thanks to the highly successful sales of the console, Nintendo is potentially in talks to create a newer, better version of their hybrid system. These upgrades are still being considered internally, but the Wall Street Journal reports that there's a chance of this revision having a better display, one that's higher quality than the current LCD the Switch uses, but not one as sophisticated as an OLED screen. Earlier this year, WSJ believed that Nintendo would not be planning on hardware revisions, but instead would focus on peripherals, which only held true in regards to Nintendo Labo.

The source of this information comes from insider knowledge at the Wall Street Journal, along with suppliers and manufacturers that work with Nintendo. WSJ Japan's article claims that shareholders in the company confirmed this information, too. If they're correct, then the new Switch model would likely hit the market sometime in Summer 2019.

TOKYO— Nintendo Co. NTDOY -1.78% plans to release a new version of its Switch videogame console next year to maintain the sales momentum of the device, according to suppliers and others with direct knowledge of the plan.

Sales of the Switch, introduced in March 2017, are still solid but are no longer delivering the favorable surprises that marked the machine’s first year on the market. Nintendo shares, which rose sharply last year, have trailed the broader stock market this year. The move to update the Switch suggests the Kyoto, Japan, company is moving quickly to ensure its flagship product doesn’t lose competitiveness.

Nintendo is still debating what new hardware and software features to include in the upgrade and weighing the cost of the features, people with knowledge of the discussions said.

One option is improving the display, they said. The current Switch uses a lower-end liquid-crystal display without some technologies that are standard in more recent smartphone LCDs.

Updating the display with these technologies would make it brighter, thinner and more energy-efficient. The updated Switch isn’t expected to adopt the organic light-emitting diode or OLED panels used in Apple Inc.’s AAPL 1.22%iPhone X series.

Nintendo is looking to release the new Switch in the latter half of 2019, perhaps as soon as summer, the people said.

A Nintendo spokesman declined to comment.

Between its introduction last year and June 30 of this year, Nintendo sold 19.7 million units of the Switch, a pace that compares favorably with Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 4, the most popular console among the current generation of videogame players. The Switch can be used both as a living-room console and as a portable game machine.

Nintendo has said it wants to sell 20 million units in the year through March 2019, and analysts say they expect sales roughly to match that goal assuming some popular software titles planned for late this year arrive on schedule. Nintendo has said it plans to introduce “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate” on Dec. 7.

Videogame makers generally come out with new consoles every five to six years, and it is common for them to update the devices in the middle of their life cycles to keep the momentum going. Sony introduced the PlayStation 4 in November 2013 and updated it with a less-expensive version in September 2016 and a high-end model two months later.

A new Switch would follow that pattern. Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto, who created many of its top games and now holds the title of creative fellow, said in February he wanted the Switch’s life cycle to be longer than usual, suggesting next year’s update of the hardware may not be the last.

The upgraded Switch would likely share many features with the current version and be compatible with existing Switch game software.

Software makers and others in the industry are watching whether Nintendo will clarify the future of its hand-held 3DS videogame device when it decides on the next Switch.

Nintendo has said it would keep selling 3DS machines because they are a safe and affordable option for children. But new game releases for the platform have been declining and some popular franchises, including Nintendo’s own “Pokémon,” moved to the Switch this year.

An executive at one software maker said the 3DS was increasingly overshadowed by smartphones that are well-suited to portable games. He said he was waiting for a “clear message” from Nintendo about what it would do with the 3DS series when it puts out a new Switch.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Source [Untranslated]

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
No way they are going to make a stronger model just 1 year after launch. Its probably just going to be a model that fixes some small issues. We had consoles do this before so I dont think this is a reason to think that our consoles are all going to be outdated soon

But it is not 1 year though. If this is released in 2019, it will be 2 years + and Nintendo is not some consumer friendly company that cares about it's customers but a company that has excelled in milking all their consoles after the gamecube with countless iterations, many of them very minor.

Having said that, obviously the then previous (now current) switches will still be fine, it's just a better model at least or a more powerful one at best, depending on what they want to do. Something tells me better hardware is coming though. Pressure from the industry and the new looming gen coming up in a year or 2 will not allow the switch much room to breathe, at least for ports, which are already only a few.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
more like WSJ predicts or suspects.
or even more like WSJ wanna be a bitch and sabotage nintendos christmas business.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You linked to a hodge podge of 3rd party ports, indie tripe and mobile shovelware, not to mention a sizeable amount are either unreleased, TBA, or region specific.

So right off the bat, NO, there are not "1,199 games available on Switch".

When I say nintendo needs to revise it's software, I'm talking 1st party IP's.

But you already knew that,

because all the other consoles have hundreds of 1st party games

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Rumour has it that the new revision is actually powered by the Tegra X2 and features a host of spec improvements (faster memory bus etc.) which would make it 50% faster than the original SKU. It's supposed to be sold concurrently with the standard Switch which is supposed to be relegated to the "family console" tier while the "New" Switch is designed for prosumers and all-around gamers. Software developers *are* allowed to develop New Switch exclusives, however Nintendo is committed to only releasing software that works on both platforms. That's everything I found in the rumour mill, I take most of it with a pinch of salt though until I see the hardware itself.

kingfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
more like WSJ predicts or suspects.
or even more like WSJ wanna be a bitch and sabotage nintendos christmas business.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

because all the other consoles have hundreds of 1st party games

Nintendo is kind of in a different spot than other consoles though because a lot of Nintendo's fanbase buys their console for their first party games and because of their consoles being underpowered, that fanbase sacrifices third party games for that. I'd also point out that other than a Zelda and a Mario game the offerings haven't been that great, to me personally, either.

As for the thread, I don't know to feel about this but I hope it's not a performance increase because that will be a waster for either the new owners or me an old owner.

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This'll probably be something like GBA SP model AGS-001 to model AGS-101. A better screen. Well, maybe even a bit more RAM, since it's easily replaceable, but I doubt it.
That beeing said, I'm hoping for Joy Cons with actual d-pads, because, you know... d-pads are pretty nice. But: "You can't use it as a single controller", is probably the reason why this won't happen.

Kallus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please have dual screen support like the Wii U.

Impossible, and not practical as the switch is in it's current state.

I wonder if the screen resolution upgrade could pave way for Switch VR. It'd be interesting to see Nintendo VR titles.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I see no problem with my switch
If it just gives us a new screen, or a better battery, well...
Not interrested
However, if there are games that will be exclusive to "New Switch"
Then, maybe I'll sell my whole switch pack for like 250$ (CAD)
and get a "New Switch"

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4 me they could even make it 99999...Tflops and run 4 a year on battery nothing matters if they don't bring some god damn new games.

I kinda lost interest in my Switch and just see all upcoming games I always kinda like 1 in a hundred or so :whip:...

I guess I will keep playing only on PC and totally forget about playing outside my house just like my 3DS I barely played a game in it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Impossible, and not practical as the switch is in it's current state.

I wonder if the screen resolution upgrade could pave way for Switch VR. It'd be interesting to see Nintendo VR titles.
The Switch doesn't have the horsepower for VR, the PS4 just barely supports it. Even if they upgrade to the X2, that's still only 750GFLOPS full throttle, and they're likely to downclock it by +/-20% for the sake of cooling and battery life, so the final machine won't be more than +/-600GFLOPS FP32. That's significantly more than the base SKU, but not nearly enough, unless you're interested in mobile-level VR.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They should focus on Nintendo Switch 2 due that newer XBOX and PS5 are coming around 2020 or 2021. I don't think Nintendo will release newer console at all because Nintendo Switch is brand new. At least a year old now. Oh well.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, Tegra X2 is not that much of a big upgrade... Only the Tegra Volta probably still upcoming is in a whole new league but nintendo would never invest in it as they are always cheap on hardware compared to Sony and M$ in consoles.

VR is a joke lol, even a 1080P around 5 inch screen looks like crap and kills your eyes in VR, then LCD totally sucks for VR with its super low contrast and no perfect blacks its like watching something on a painted wall, it specially needs Oled and something 4k+ in resolution.

Then I agree with Foxi even PS4 Pro is kinda a VR wannabe no matter how much millions they can sell, I can't even stand PS VR any god damn minute, it looks like playing a PS3\Xbox360 game in a HUGE wall size TV at like 1 meter from it, all lines are all distorted and even full of color distortion on what was supposed to be just a god damn white line, low quality full of aliasing, you can see just painted pixels and totally kills my eyes...

Switch VR would be a thing just maybe for a kid to see it and be like wow this is amazing and crap like that, nothing more and would specially need a new equipment connected to the console because its screen is big and very low resolution that you would be counting pixels after using magnifying lenses above it, then the console is also way too heavy to be used on a VR headset, so to work they would have to make a new separated full VR accessory with its own built-in screen and forget using Switch it self as VR.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, krustday krab