Wall Street Journal reports Nintendo will release a revised model of the Nintendo Switch in 2019

Switch-WSJ_10-04-18.jpg

The Wall Street Journal is claiming that Nintendo is planning on developing a new hardware revision of the Nintendo Switch. Thanks to the highly successful sales of the console, Nintendo is potentially in talks to create a newer, better version of their hybrid system. These upgrades are still being considered internally, but the Wall Street Journal reports that there's a chance of this revision having a better display, one that's higher quality than the current LCD the Switch uses, but not one as sophisticated as an OLED screen. Earlier this year, WSJ believed that Nintendo would not be planning on hardware revisions, but instead would focus on peripherals, which only held true in regards to Nintendo Labo.

The source of this information comes from insider knowledge at the Wall Street Journal, along with suppliers and manufacturers that work with Nintendo. WSJ Japan's article claims that shareholders in the company confirmed this information, too. If they're correct, then the new Switch model would likely hit the market sometime in Summer 2019.

TOKYO— Nintendo Co. NTDOY -1.78% plans to release a new version of its Switch videogame console next year to maintain the sales momentum of the device, according to suppliers and others with direct knowledge of the plan.

Sales of the Switch, introduced in March 2017, are still solid but are no longer delivering the favorable surprises that marked the machine’s first year on the market. Nintendo shares, which rose sharply last year, have trailed the broader stock market this year. The move to update the Switch suggests the Kyoto, Japan, company is moving quickly to ensure its flagship product doesn’t lose competitiveness.

Nintendo is still debating what new hardware and software features to include in the upgrade and weighing the cost of the features, people with knowledge of the discussions said.

One option is improving the display, they said. The current Switch uses a lower-end liquid-crystal display without some technologies that are standard in more recent smartphone LCDs.

Updating the display with these technologies would make it brighter, thinner and more energy-efficient. The updated Switch isn’t expected to adopt the organic light-emitting diode or OLED panels used in Apple Inc.’s AAPL 1.22%iPhone X series.

Nintendo is looking to release the new Switch in the latter half of 2019, perhaps as soon as summer, the people said.

A Nintendo spokesman declined to comment.

Between its introduction last year and June 30 of this year, Nintendo sold 19.7 million units of the Switch, a pace that compares favorably with Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 4, the most popular console among the current generation of videogame players. The Switch can be used both as a living-room console and as a portable game machine.

Nintendo has said it wants to sell 20 million units in the year through March 2019, and analysts say they expect sales roughly to match that goal assuming some popular software titles planned for late this year arrive on schedule. Nintendo has said it plans to introduce “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate” on Dec. 7.

Videogame makers generally come out with new consoles every five to six years, and it is common for them to update the devices in the middle of their life cycles to keep the momentum going. Sony introduced the PlayStation 4 in November 2013 and updated it with a less-expensive version in September 2016 and a high-end model two months later.

A new Switch would follow that pattern. Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto, who created many of its top games and now holds the title of creative fellow, said in February he wanted the Switch’s life cycle to be longer than usual, suggesting next year’s update of the hardware may not be the last.

The upgraded Switch would likely share many features with the current version and be compatible with existing Switch game software.

Software makers and others in the industry are watching whether Nintendo will clarify the future of its hand-held 3DS videogame device when it decides on the next Switch.

Nintendo has said it would keep selling 3DS machines because they are a safe and affordable option for children. But new game releases for the platform have been declining and some popular franchises, including Nintendo’s own “Pokémon,” moved to the Switch this year.

An executive at one software maker said the 3DS was increasingly overshadowed by smartphones that are well-suited to portable games. He said he was waiting for a “clear message” from Nintendo about what it would do with the 3DS series when it puts out a new Switch.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Source [Untranslated]

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
No way they are going to make a stronger model just 1 year after launch. Its probably just going to be a model that fixes some small issues. We had consoles do this before so I dont think this is a reason to think that our consoles are all going to be outdated soon
more than 2 years, the switch released March 3, 2017
the release date for the new unit is the second half of 2019, so it's normal
maybe this time it will come with 6GB RAM to support some games and better screen (still 720p) but maybe now with less bezels, enhanced joycon grips and larger battery.

edit: oh i see, someone already mentioned that.

Last edited by aos10,
Reactions: NoNAND

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't know why people expect symmetrical joycons, or any adjustment to the joycons at all - they need to retain compatibility with the previous system, they're not going to change the controllers. I suspect the system will be very similar in form factor.

Kallus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch doesn't have the horsepower for VR, the PS4 just barely supports it. Even if they upgrade to the X2, that's still only 750GFLOPS full throttle, and they're likely to downclock it by +/-20% for the sake of cooling and battery life, so the final machine won't be more than +/-600GFLOPS FP32. That's significantly more than the base SKU, but not nearly enough, unless you're interested in mobile-level VR.

I'd think VR on this would be in-between Mobile and PSVR. Nintendo is always the middle grounds in this sort of stuff. Nothing new here.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
You linked to a hodge podge of 3rd party ports, indie tripe and mobile shovelware, not to mention a sizeable amount are either unreleased, TBA, or region specific.

So right off the bat, NO, there are not "1,199 games available on Switch".

When I say nintendo needs to revise it's software, I'm talking 1st party IP's.

But you already knew that,
"I don't like what it has to offer, so it has no gaemz" Some weak ass logic.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I almost came dangerously close to actually believing Nintendo this time when they said no notable hardware revisions. Might have to work on my cynicism.

Equally I would have to +1 the call for some games. I am not talking just about first party either (all their unarguably successful consoles had more than just that) but... I usually phrase it as "if I get one of these will I be able to play games enough to say I played games of the time" -- if I had a 360 then every gameplay style popular at the time was covered there, the GBA, DS, SNES and NES would all be able to say similar things. Switch not so much and it is not showing any signs of getting better.

No way they are going to make a stronger model just 1 year after launch. Its probably just going to be a model that fixes some small issues. We had consoles do this before so I dont think this is a reason to think that our consoles are all going to be outdated soon
In basically every way that matters from a technical perspective the DS lite was an original DS. How many people then wanted an original DS after it dropped?

Nintendo does like their revisions. ds got 3 revisions, advance got three, 3ds got quite a few, snes got one, colour and original got a few, and wii got a few as well. The rest not so much. It'll be interesting to see what they do.
Are you counting the DSi as a revision?
Also the GBA got 4 -- GBA, GBA SP, GB Micro and the AGS101 revision of the SP. You might also count the gb player and the official in car version of the GBA ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visteon_Dockable_Entertainment ) if you wanted to get hazy or technical.

digipimp75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm hoping for better battery, higher internal storage, and redesigned screen. That ridiculously large black bezel on the current one takes up so much screen real estate!

Last edited by digipimp75,
Reactions: Kioku

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you counting the DSi as a revision?
Also the GBA got 4 -- GBA, GBA SP, GB Micro and the AGS101 revision of the SP. You might also count the gb player and the official in car version of the GBA ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visteon_Dockable_Entertainment ) if you wanted to get hazy or technical.
I suppose I should count the dsiXL as well, eh? I had forgotten about the much discussed ags101 revision. I'm assuming the switch revision will be more like that than the dslite to dsi revision.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah because we all know what a reliable source the wall street journal is
still it is almost certain they will though

Closet Nerd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"I don't like what it has to offer, so it has no gaemz" Some weak ass logic.

Your paraphasing is poor. I'm straight up saying they're offering nothing.

If you enjoy endless ports for full price and titles originally released when Russia was still the USSR, knock yourself out.

Some of you suffer this strange battered fan syndrome. You've learned to accept keeping expectations low, even embrace being let down. In which case Sushi Striker® was probably a game-changer for you.

"The switch has sold eleventy billion units!!" Congrats, now make some games!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

yeah because we all know what a reliable source the wall street journal is
still it is almost certain they will though
It's the WSJ, it's a rumor, doesn't mean a bloody thing.

The WSJ has, despite shilling for pro-war policies, has managed to keep it's reputation as a reliable mainstream publication in America.

Like most mainstream publications, they're reporting on non-politcal things, IE business, usually checks out.

Reactions: hurrz

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well who didn't see this coming? Here's what I envision: a better screen (not that I honestly have any complaints about the current LCD one), a stronger battery, the screen going edge to edge without the large black border, and a better dock meant to hold a Switch with such a screen so that the edges don't potentially scratch where that black area can (frankly just removing the front of the dock should work just fine).

That is of course if all they're doing is cosmetic improvements. Could this be a mid-generation refresh like the New 3DS, PS4 Pro, Xbone X, etc? I feel like 2019 would be too soon for that, this feels like a good time for the equivalent of the original 3DS XL upgrade. Of course I'd welcome better processing power to output games at 1080p portably that currently only output at 720p, or 60fps on games that currently run 30fps, etc. etc. I just don't think that's yet the point Nintendo is at with the Switch, but don't get me wrong, I do think that will eventually come.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not surprised. Before he died he did talk about how he liked Apple’s upgrade path. How he envisioned Nintendo doing an update cycle every two years or so.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'd think VR on this would be in-between Mobile and PSVR. Nintendo is always the middle grounds in this sort of stuff. Nothing new here.
PSVR is already bottom-of-the-barrel cheapest way to play VR games as it is, mobile VR is mostly just a gimmick. I don't think it makes any sense to introduce VR to a system that doesn't have at least +/-2GFLOPS under the hood, otherwise you're dooming yourself to PS2-level graphics. And I know, "graphics don't matter", but they do in this case - the bare minimum for playable (not comfortable) VR is 720p x 2 at around 60FPS and the X2 just won't push it.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Meh, bet it's gonna be mostly the same with a different internal software or what to try stop them pirates.
Ninty doesn't really care about their customers, they just want money like all the other companies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdMSPaHhmbI +1