Hacking (vWii) - Tri-Core Linux

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really hate to burst the bubble here. But the values you're showing in 'top' have nothing to do with the actual cores. As you probably guessed. They are displaying different parameters for the ACTIVE cores.

cat /proc/cpuinfo ..... how many CPU's does it see... If all three cores are there you will see CPU 0, CPU 1, CPU 2.

As I think we've discussed before, SMP will not be available in Trinux without some serious kernel hacks. And that is my own 2 cents.
Lscpu doesnt give enough info under trinux for whatever reason so i used top instead. Top is perfectly capable of displaying core usages. See here:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3342889/how-to-measure-separate-cpu-core-usage-for-a-process

The espresso in the wii u is simply a suped up ppc 750 with 3 cores and a higher clock speed.

There is already support for ppc smp built into the existing kernel we're using. All i had to do was install the appropriate pacjages to add support for the powerpc 750.

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CPU instruction is driven by the Linux kernel. Not any packages you install. I'm genuinely just trying to understand how you can claim you are using added cores when I see no evidence of that...

if you run 'top' and press '1'. It will list individual cores, as follows:

top - 13:25:01 up 20 days, 6:35, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.02, 0.00
Tasks: 292 total, 1 running, 291 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu0 : 0.1%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.9%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu1 : 0.4%us, 0.1%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.5%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu2 : 0.1%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.9%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu3 : 0.1%us, 0.1%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.8%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu4 : 0.1%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.9%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu5 : 0.2%us, 0.1%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.7%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu6 : 0.1%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.9%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu7 : 0.4%us, 0.1%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.5%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Mem: 3924032k total, 1496160k used, 2427872k free, 331848k buffers
Swap: 10289144k total, 0k used, 10289144k free, 699296k cached
I only see Cpu0 in your images...

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CPU instruction is driven by the Linux kernel. Not any packages you install. I'm genuinely just trying to understand how you can claim you are using added cores when I see no evidence of that...

if you run 'top' and press '1'. It will list individual cores, as follows:

top - 13:25:01 up 20 days, 6:35, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.02, 0.00
Tasks: 292 total, 1 running, 291 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu0 : 0.1%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.9%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu1 : 0.4%us, 0.1%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.5%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu2 : 0.1%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.9%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu3 : 0.1%us, 0.1%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.8%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu4 : 0.1%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.9%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu5 : 0.2%us, 0.1%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.7%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu6 : 0.1%us, 0.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.9%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu7 : 0.4%us, 0.1%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.5%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Mem: 3924032k total, 1496160k used, 2427872k free, 331848k buffers
Swap: 10289144k total, 0k used, 10289144k free, 699296k cached
I only see Cpu0 in your images...

I can understand your skepticism, but how would you explain the huge jump in performance since i did this?

Something has definitely changed for the better once i added the appropriate packages.

Like i said, the support for ppc smp was already built into the current kernel we're using. I just need to install tl some additional packages to utilize smp on the ppc 750. That was ultimately the only thing that needed to be done.

I will play around with more benchmarking tools when i get a chance and post the results here.

Have you seen my youtube videos of 1.5b running yet? Its not the same sluggish trinux we used to know. Perhaps top is just buggy in trinux. Ill figure something out.

I will admit however that i was wrong in interpreting yops results. Your knowledge of linux far surpasses mine, but something is definitely going on that gave us a big performance boost.

CORRECTION: As much as I hate to say it guys, but Ninja_Carver is right. I just did a side by side comparison running top on both my laptop and trinux and now I see what he's talking about. My laptop is tri-core as well and top is reporting 3 cpu's like it should be, but on the Wii U its only reporting 1 cpu. Sorry for getting everyone's hopes up :(. But hey, what I did still managed to boost performance by quite a large margin. I'm honestly not entirely sure why that happened, but it did and that's a plus, so not all is lost :). We're going to have to keep at it for true Tri-core SMP! We will get it we just need to be persistent and its going to take a lot of trial and error. Again sorry for misinforming people :(

Reactions: the_randomizer

2haloes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well at least performance got better :lol:, by the way, has any one got a download link for 1.5b or has it just been taken down?

And if a swap space increase is still needed (the post was edited nearly a month ago), open GParted (Linux partition editor) and edit the swap space size on the SD card (It should work ;))

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well at least performance got better :lol:, by the way, has any one got a download link for 1.5b or has it just been taken down?

And if a swap space increase is still needed (the post was edited nearly a month ago), open GParted (Linux partition editor) and edit the swap space size on the SD card (It should work ;))
Thanks for the tip!
As for the torrent link yes i removed it from the wii u hax article because i was wrong about the smp support lol. I can still upload it to 4shared though when i get a chance for people to try out

2haloes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the tip!
As for the torrent link yes i removed it from the wii u hax article because i was wrong about the smp support lol. I can still upload it to 4shared though when i get a chance for people to try out
No problem, and (Some comment about not wanting to wait for upload because uploads take forever or something like that :download: --> :yayu: )

Update: Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays, I'm going to get myself a server very soon so I could host multiple versions of Trinux (things like more Swap space and a 2gb, 4gb etc. versions) if that would be ok :lol:

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

As many of you already know, Ninja_Carver and I had a falling out (thanks to my own stupidity and arrogance), and I'm no longer a member of Team Trinux. Carver doesn't seem to want to talk to me at all, so it looks like my time with this team is dead and buried. It was fun while it lasted and I learned A LOT. Carver is a very smart man, and despite our severed ties, I still admire him and all he knows :).

That being said, I'm working on my own unofficial fork of Trinux (again many of you are already aware of this). I've codenamed it "WiiUOS," for the time being. I've been hinting at an alpha release lately, but unfortunately, I've hit an unforeseen roadblock. I'm running Ubuntu 14.04lts on my laptop which I'm using to do the vast majority of the work on this and that particular version is buggy as all heck (google it). I thought I could work around it, but evidently, my installation is now so far gone, that its almost unusable XD.

I need to reformat my linux partition (laptop) and revert back to ubuntu 12.04lts (s*** never breaks XD) to finish the job. I will do this as soon as I get a chance.

Perhaps, I should be making a separate thread for this, I'm really not sure. I don't want to derail the official trinux thread, but I also don't want to clutter up gbatemp with another Trinux thread, so if a mod/admin could chime in, it would be much appreciated :).

Stay tuned for updates, that alpha release IS coming soon. It will definitely be out before winter break is up for me and I head back to classes (january 21st). I'm hoping within the next week or so, but we'll see (no promises).

TSK/Team WiiUOS out :)

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I must have missed that (I don't really lurk the Wii U boards, since there isn't much of anything here)! Hopefully it will end up better than Trinux, I'm quite excited.

Well I don't want to discredit everything Team Trinux has done. I'm not doing this to compete. I'm doing it as a tribute and for the fact that I love modding and linux <3. Even though, i'm no longer a member of the Team, doesn't mean I can't still make my own version. That's the beauty of open source :). The more "flavors" of trinux out there, the better off the scene will be :). More options so everyone can find and use exactly what works for them :D

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good idea. Also, on the topic of ubuntu 14.04 being broken, i know what you mean. I had to spend AN HOUR AND A HALF on the fourms just to get BASIC WI-FI working...

I have customers come in to staples all the time and complain about 14.04 lol. And surprisingly YES some of our customers are in fact linux users :P. Granted its super user friendly linux (ubuntu), but still. Its a sign that people are finally smartening up and ditching windows....

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That last comment.... I use windows 7, the ubuntu thing was on a secondary computer. Windows is fine, Linux is too. I just primarily use Windows.
I dual boot linux and win7 but only bc im forced to in order to use windows only software. Wine doesnt work properly with a huge slew of windows software so i really have no choice.

Windows is a security nightmare, thats why i dislike it. Linux is much more secure by nature, not to mention its not as widely usedbas windows so black hat hackers are less likely to write viruses for it.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Ubuntu is crap...
Instead of using Ubuntu, I use Debian jessie, and I run that in a virtual machine.
On the host side (Mac OS X), I use ssh (with X server), and man, it's like Linux on my Mac (without recompiling for Mac!)

Also, Wine 1.7.33 works with vc2013 applications now. (no additional installation)

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want a secure OS, well too bad, there will NEVER be one that's "totally" secure.
Of course nothing is totally secure lol. Anyone who thinks that possible knows nothing about computer science lol!

Its just that linux is a safer bet is all :P.

Anything electronic can and will be hacked in due time

Reactions: Kelton2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill