Hacking (vWii) - Tri-Core Linux

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, well I do have videos of it actually running both in this thread and on my website (trinuxtowinit in sig), but sure I don't mind, give me a few mins. I'm gonna have to take the screenshots with my phone so bear with me lol

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMG_20140701_162242.jpgIMG_20140701_162155.jpgIMG_20140701_162118.jpgIMG_20140701_162031.jpgIMG_20140701_162023.jpgIMG_20140701_162001.jpgIMG_20140701_161933.jpgIMG_20140701_161907.jpg Here you go Gruntzer:). I chose to do most of the screenshots right off Wii U gamepad itself, so you know, I'm not pulling a fast one. Take a close look at the Terminal pic, I think you'll like what I wrote haha

Reactions: Gruntzer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't find the spoiler button option so I put them as thumbnails. You can just click each one to make them full size

Spoiler code is pretty easy, you simply can type [ spoiler ] the video URL [ /spoiler ] but whatever floats your boat :P

(Had to make spaces between the brackets, so make sure there are no spaces in the code)

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious, what are some of things you can do in Linux on the (v)Wii that you can't do in other apps and homebrew on the Wii (U)?

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spoiler code is pretty easy, you simply can type [ spoiler ] the video URL [ /spoiler ] but whatever floats your boat :P

(Had to make spaces between the brackets, so make sure there are no spaces in the code)

ssssshhhhhhhhhhh, don't expose the truth! nobody is supposed to know i'm secretly stupid :P

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious, what are some of things you can do in Linux on the (v)Wii that you can't do in other apps and homebrew on the Wii (U)?

Unfortunately, not much as of right now. I mean while running Linux on the Wii U using the Trinux exploit does technically give us access to all 3 cores of the Espresso processor, we have yet to fully utilize them. The idea behind this exploit is to give us more "horsepower" if you will for running linux and various linux apps on the Wii U itself. I believe this exploit (correct me if I'm wrong) was also originallypu developed as a means to eventually develop a Wii U mode exploit (bringing Wii U homebrew to the masses). Sadly, this has yet to happen. It doesn't seem likely that it will happen using this exploit due to the fact that the Wii U OS is bypassed entirely in order to use it. I mean if someone manages to develop a linux app that will allow us to dump the remaining private keys that are still needed to access all of the Wii U hardware, this exploit could certainly help in that respect. Ultimately leading to a "real" Wii U mode exploit.

Right now, the best Wii U mode exploit we have (that's publicly available) is the Webkit/Browser exploit which is very limited in its current state. However this could potentially be tweaked further to lead to a far better exploit.

Team Fail0verflow (f0f) claims to have a "real" Wii U Mode exploit but they refuse release it at this time. For good reason, I'm sure, whether its the reason they state or not. If anybody has a full Wii U mode exploit right now, I would be willing to bet, it would be Team Fail0verflow. That team seems to have incredible knowledge about the Wii U and its security flaws.

We may just have to wait it out for f0f to release the real deal, unless of course somebody else is able to develop one of their own. I just hope that if they really do have a true exploit, that it doesn't get leaked early like the Webkit/Browser exploit. Let's get a proper release out there, when its actually ready to be released into the wild blue yonder :P

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, not much as of right now. I mean while running Linux on the Wii U using the Trinux exploit does technically give us access to all 3 cores of the Espresso processor, we have yet to fully utilize them. The idea behind this exploit is to give us more "horsepower" if you will for running linux and various linux apps on the Wii U itself. I believe this exploit (correct me if I'm wrong) was also originallypu developed as a means to eventually develop a Wii U mode exploit (bringing Wii U homebrew to the masses). Sadly, this has yet to happen. It doesn't seem likely that it will happen using this exploit due to the fact that the Wii U OS is bypassed entirely in order to use it.

The ultimate purpose of Trinux was to convince fail0verflow to release their Wii U mode exploit. If Linux was successfully ported to vWii mode with tri-core support, fail0verflow would consider making the Linux port work in Wii U mode. Linux would then be used as the homebrew platform for the Wii U. However, since Trinux has been going on for about a year with little progress made, it's likely that fail0verflow no longer considers doing so.

I mean if someone manages to develop a linux app that will allow us to dump the remaining private keys that are still needed to access all of the Wii U hardware, this exploit could certainly help in that respect. Ultimately leading to a "real" Wii U mode exploit.

The remaining keys can't be dumped from vWii mode. In order to dump them, we need code running on the Starbuck in kernel-mode. The Espresso keys were able to be dumped from vWii mode, but this is only because Nintendo couldn't sandbox the Boot ROM.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can you afford a Wii U, but not a shirt? :P

Edit: Or light bulbs?

Priorities man Gaming>clothes and light bulbs lol

No but seriously, I have no AC in my bedroom so it gets super hot in here in the summer time :(, which is why I'm always shirtless lol. As for the light bulbs, I keep forgetting to put those on the shopping list lol, I'll go do that now...... hahahahahaha

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ultimate purpose of Trinux was to convince fail0verflow to release their Wii U mode exploit. If Linux was successfully ported to vWii mode with tri-core support, fail0verflow would consider making the Linux port work in Wii U mode. Linux would then be used as the homebrew platform for the Wii U. However, since Trinux has been going on for about a year with little progress made, it's likely that fail0verflow no longer considers doing so.

The remaining keys can't be dumped from vWii mode. In order to dump them, we need code running on the Starbuck in kernel-mode. The Espresso keys were able to be dumped from vWii mode, but this is only because Nintendo couldn't sandbox the Boot ROM.

Ah okay makes sense. That would've been pretty awesome using linux for Wii U homebrew, go figure. But at least we have "almost Wii U homebrew, kinda sorta" running on the 3 Espresso cores haha. We just need to figure out how to fully utilize all three cores to their full potential and we'd have a suped up vWii lol. Hey, every little upgrade counts

Marionumber1 as for not being able to dump those additional keys in vWii mode, I wonder if it would be possible to execute a large enough buffer overflow in vWii mode, to actually access Wii U mode and boot it up in some sort of altered state so that we could ultimately dump those keys.

It may seem a bit far fetched, but in rare cases, viruses are able to do this. For example, it used to be thought that if you have a virtual machine set up on your computer and that virtual machine got infected with viruses, you could just wipe it and reinstall without having to worry about any of that "spilling over" into your physical machine. A new phenomenon has been occurring (again in rare cases) where viruses are actually able to create a buffer overflow so large within the virtual machine, that it can gain access to the physical machine as well.

A bit of a long shot, but I wonder if a similar tactic could be possible to compromise Wii U mode and dump those much needed keys......

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So....what further purpose does this thread serve then....I mean sure, people will still work on Trinux but since f0f is way past releasing said exploit or a Wii U port of Linux, where do we go from here?

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So....what further purpose does this thread serve then....I mean sure, people will still work on Trinux but since f0f is way past releasing said exploit or a Wii U port of Linux, where do we go from here?

We make our own exploit and port of Wii U Linux duh! The scene doesn't die out just because f0f doesn't want to release "their" exploit :P. We persevere like any good hackers/devs would :)

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah okay makes sense. That would've been pretty awesome using linux for Wii U homebrew, go figure. But at least we have "almost Wii U homebrew, kinda sorta" running on the 3 Espresso cores haha. We just need to figure out how to fully utilize all three cores to their full potential and we'd have a suped up vWii lol. Hey, every little upgrade counts

Marionumber1 as for not being able to dump those additional keys in vWii mode, I wonder if it would be possible to execute a large enough buffer overflow in vWii mode, to actually access Wii U mode and boot it up in some sort of altered state so that we could ultimately dump those keys.

It may seem a bit far fetched, but in rare cases, viruses are able to do this. For example, it used to be thought that if you have a virtual machine set up on your computer and that virtual machine got infected with viruses, you could just wipe it and reinstall without having to worry about any of that "spilling over" into your physical machine. A new phenomenon has been occurring (again in rare cases) where viruses are actually able to create a buffer overflow so large within the virtual machine, that it can gain access to the physical machine as well.

A bit of a long shot, but I wonder if a similar tactic could be possible to compromise Wii U mode and dump those much needed keys......

A virtual machine is software meant to isolate an operating system within a sandbox, to ensure that it won't have any effect on the host. Of course, since it's software-based, a virtual machine is vulnerable to buffer overflows and other vulnerabilities that allow code execution outside of the sandbox. But vWii mode is not sandboxed using software, it's done using hardware. cafe2wii, a Wii U mode Starbuck binary responsible for the mode switch, permanently disables all Wii U hardware and then starts running vWii software. There is no way to break out of the sandbox, because the sandbox is all that's left.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A virtual machine is software meant to isolate an operating system within a sandbox, to ensure that it won't have any effect on the host. Of course, since it's software-based, a virtual machine is vulnerable to buffer overflows and other vulnerabilities that allow code execution outside of the sandbox. But vWii mode is not sandboxed using software, it's done using hardware. cafe2wii, a Wii U mode Starbuck binary responsible for the mode switch, permanently disables all Wii U hardware and then starts running vWii software. There is no way to break out of the sandbox, because the sandbox is all that's left.

Damn, that blows

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In essence, nothing has changed. This Trinux "exploit" (not sure how you can call this an exploit), means nothing without some serious dev work to the Linux Kernel source to even spin-up or "see" the other cores. THEN, you have to build the framework (libraries?) for homebrew apps to leverage the additional cores, THEN, you need devs to actually code the applications that will utilize the added hardware.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing has changed with Trinux since I originally started the thread.

PS, you wouldn't be able to write a Linux program to dump the rest of the keys because you haven't broken out of the sandbox :). So not to discourage you, but you are no better off now than you were before.

The only value this project has, is that once there is a FULL WIIU MODE EXPLOIT (lol), most of the current linux work can be ported very easily, since we obviously have a Live linux distribution on the Wii's PPC.

Reactions: KiiWii

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
ninja carver. whats the crack with the triicore and yourself? as you created/started this thread i was just curiouse to no if you are still participating with it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users