Hacking USBLoader GX - d2x cIOS error

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've recently updated USBLoader GX to Rev.1231 and now when I try to play N64 VC games from my emuNAND it says....

"Error:
Launching emulated nand channels only works on d2x cIOS! Change game IOS to a d2x cIOS first."

I load cIOS 251 for my N64 VC games because I patched it with Waninkoko's v-19 for increased compatibility. It's never been a problem until now.

Why am I being forced to use d2x cIOS's?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
USBLoaderGX detects your HDD (or SD) setup, and tells you to use d2x if it's not compatible with waninkoko's rev17-19.

The loader is checking:
- partition location : it works only on the first FAT32 MBR partition
- Sector size : it works only with 512 bytes/sector
- nand Path : it works only on the root, not in subfolders.

I based these checks on the informations I gathered in cIOS changelog.
rev18: adds Partial EmuNAND mode
rev21: adds EmuNAND paths
rev21 d2x beta: adds partition selection. officially supported in d2x v3
d2x v4: adds 4096 bytes/sector support

You are saying that before updating the loader it worked fine with your setup.
Could you tell me what you are using as emuNAND path?
SD or USB?
root or subfolder?
if using USB : which partition? (please detail your drive's partition table, one or multi partitions, the format, sector size, etc.)

I'll remove the unneeded checks.
Thank you.

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank You, Cyan. :)

I see now that the problem I was having was because of the location of my emuNAND. I've been recently testing out another emuNAND, and instead of moving my original, I decided to just place this new one on my SD card (in a sub folder). -- When I tried to start up the N64 games, they didn't work. I figured maybe it was because of the SD card so I moved the nand over to my USB drive. But, my original emuNAND was already on the root of my USB drive, so I figured I'd just place this new nand in a sub folder too.

It was like a perfect storm of events. Because I just recently updated to rev1231. And before now, have never tested VC games that were specifically using waninkoko's v19, on an emuNAND that WASN'T in the root of my drive. So when I started experiencing the problem I just assumed that it was because of some unknown change to USBLoader. I didn't know that USBLoaderGX performed all those checks.

*My USB drive only has one partition, and it's FAT32 with 32kb sectors.

Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ahah, updating and changing a lot of things at once can be confusing.
I'm glad you found the issue (and that it's not something I have to fix :lol: )

I'll probably have to change that message to explain old cIOS rev can be used, but it was forced to update to d2x.
I only added support for older rev as a hidden feature for few users who asked it. that's why it kept the message that you need d2x.

Reactions: portugeek

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok.. there's a new problem.

**I'll be referring to these two cIOS's.**
- 249 = [56] d2x-v10beta53-alt (rev 21010)
- 251 = [57] waninkoko-v19 (rev 65535)

I placed my emuNAND in the root of the SD card. Then I changed the individual game settings for all my N64 VC games, making it so that they would load using cIOS251. But when I start the game my Wiimote turns off and loses sync.​
If I wait a moment a message will pop up that says "You will need the Classic Controller." (I have one plugged in, but the Wiimote is off so it doesn't recognize it) -- At this point I can hold down 1 and 2 to resync the wiimote but then I receive a NEW error message that says....​
"There is not enough available space in the Wii system memory.
Create 1 block(s) of free space by either moving files to an SD Card or deleting files in the Data Management Screen.
Press the A Button to return to the Wii Menu."​
I started noticing that this only happened to the N64 games that I had never loaded up before (or never loaded up while using that particular emuNAND). And I knew that it wasn't a space issue. So I started to assume that what's REALLY happening is that these games are trying to create save slots in the emuNAND when they boot up for the first time. (apparently cIOS251 isn't allowing that to happen.)​
So my quick fix for that was to load up the unplayed game using cIOS249. This allowed the emuNAND to generate a save slot for that game and then continue on to the game's title screen. Now I figured that since I had got passed that block, that I should go back and try to load the game using cIOS251 again. The Wiimote is still turning off and losing sync, but once I resync it, the game actually starts up.​
I know that the emuNAND isn't to blame for why it's losing sync because my emuNAND is a build of my Wii's own NAND dump. Also, if I run any other VC games using cIOS249 (instead of cIOS251), the Wiimote doesn't lose sync.​
***​
I just now recreated all the steps, except this time I have a copy of my emuNAND in the root of my USB drive instead of my SD Card. All of the same things are happening, except NOW the Wiimote doesn't lose sync while loading from 251..... That doesn't make any sense!!! I'm still getting the memory error, while using 251. But the Wiimote no longer loses sync if I'm loading from the USB drive instead of the SD card. What could be causing that???​
The games boot up a whole lot faster using 249. -- I remember (in the past) changing my 251 to waninkoko's v19 because it offered increased compatibility with N64 VC games. But I think at that time I was running d2x-v8-final on cIOS249.​
Is this an issue with waninkoko's v19? And is there any reason why I would still need to use waninkoko's v19 over d2x-v10beta53-alt?​

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
wiimote losing synch can be caused by incorrectly installed cIOS. Reinstalling it fix the issue (but you need to re-synch the wiimote at least once after that. The issue is that incorrectly installed cIOS corrupts/deletes the wiimote registration file).

Maybe you should try with rev19[38] instead of [57].
base 36/37/38 might have better result.

I think launching a channel from emuNAND with rev17/18/19 has some issue with USBLoaderGX + a specific device.
I don't remember if the issue is SD or USB, but one of them randomly freeze on blackscreen at launch.
This is an issue of USBLoaderGX, but I couldn't find a fix yet.

The only reason you want rev19 is for EmuNAND (don't use it for anything else! don't install rev19 base57 only because guide said you need base57 in slot 250 ! that's wrong).
You need a d2x v10 base57 for some wii games, but you can install it anywhere (above slot 230).
You need a rev19 base38 for some N64 VC, but you can install it anywhere (above slot 230).

You don't need beta53-alt if you don't need USB Port1 !
Beta53 has less EmuNAND compatibility, prefer beta52 instead, and use USB Port0.

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently I have...
249 [56] d2x-v10beta53-alt (rev 21010)
250 [57] d2x-v10beta53-alt (rev 21010)
251 [57] waninkoko-v19 (rev 65535)

Maybe you should try with rev19[38] instead of [57].
base 36/37/38 might have better result.
Where can I find out what the different bases are responsible for?

The only reason you want rev19 is for EmuNAND (don't use it for anything else! don't install rev19 base57 only because guide said you need base57 in slot 250 ! that's wrong).
You need a d2x v10 base57 for some wii games, but you can install it anywhere (above slot 230).
You need a rev19 base38 for some N64 VC, but you can install it anywhere (above slot 230).

You don't need beta53-alt if you don't need USB Port1 !
Beta53 has less EmuNAND compatibility, prefer beta52 instead, and use USB Port0.
I'm not sure why rev19 has base57. I do know that I have rev19 because you suggested it a while back for increased N64 VC compatibility with emuNAND. But I don't know why I chose base 57.

I need beta53-alt for compatibility with USB Music peripherals that plug into USB Port1.

I'm thinking of leaving 250 the way it is... changing 249 to [56] d2x-v10beta52... and changing the base on 251.

UPDATE:
wiimote losing synch can be caused by incorrectly installed cIOS. Reinstalling it fix the issue (but you need to re-synch the wiimote at least once after that. The issue is that incorrectly installed cIOS corrupts/deletes the wiimote registration file).
Perfect! I just reinstalled cIOS251 (but this time it's [38]v19) and the Wiimote stays synced! So now it's working for both the SD and USB! :)

I'm still getting the memory issue though. For some reason v19 doesn't want to let the games create an initial save slot to the emuNAND.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak past the light and kill that giant mosquito.