GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks.
It's a problem with memory allocation.

The only memory references I changed is with the NTFS library.
Are you using NTFS partition? I will try too.

I recently (r1210) updated the libNTFS, but I didn't move all memory allocation to MEM2. Dimok told me it could be a problem with some users having blackscreen when launching a game if they don't have enough Mem1 left.
So, in r1212 I fixed all Mem1 to Mem2, but maybe I did something wrong (again!).

fish & chips

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No, I'm using a FAT32 partition.

And it works fine on r1211 so that's the one I'm using. However, it doesn't happen when launching a game, it happens right when the loader is initializing.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Alright I tried modmii (through HBC) and it didn't seem to do the trick, I was getting 1100 errors, got past those and updated all the wads, then the iOS with the guide on the google code site, and it didn't owrk. Thinking I messed up on that I downloaded d2x cios installe v6 from the google code site and installed both of those as directed base 56 to 249 and base 57 to 250. Now it doesn't even load USB Loader GX anymore (or Configurable USB Loader). I assume this is an issue with my downloads not being the most recent so I'm going to look for a v7 or v8 now and will try and follow from there, but in case I missed something else I'm just posting here an update.

Also my SNES emulator worked fine with my HDD before and it's not now, if that is any indicator as to what it is as well.

As always, thanks for the help :)
Are you being honest?
Modmii is a PC app, lol!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
No, I'm using a FAT32 partition.

And it works fine on r1211 so that's the one I'm using. However, it doesn't happen when launching a game, it happens right when the loader is initializing.
The only memory I changed was on libntfs, so maybe it's not a librairy problem but just the compilation which is wrong?

I recompiled it, I don't have a lot of hope but here it is: r1213 IOS249.
I tried it and it boots fine. You seem to be the only one with this problem, so maybe it's something on your side.

If it doesn't work, could you try to change the displayed sources (Wii / GameCube / Channel / EmuNAND) with 1211 then load 1213. See if it fix it, it could be one of the game you have which is making it hang (maybe a bad cover? or a bad animated banner? etc.) It's just some idea to check what's wrong with your Wii.
I tried

fish & chips

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Everything works perfectly in that r1213 version. Loader initializes fine, Wii games, Gamecube games (using DM, not Lite), real nand and emunand games boot and work without any issues.

Didn't have to change the displayed sources, though, as everything worked.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you being honest?
Modmii is a PC app, lol!
Obviously it's a PC app, and obviously I set it up using the PC and was referencing the portion of it that you do on the Wii.

Since obviously that's how it works.

I also got it working fine, I had my friend plugging in the HDD and at some point (the first part wasn't working though either way), it got unplugged and that was the issue requiring a second install (also having the USB cable unplugged while doing the install).

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Everything works perfectly in that r1213 version. Loader initializes fine, Wii games, Gamecube games (using DM, not Lite), real nand and emunand games boot and work without any issues.

Didn't have to change the displayed sources, though, as everything worked.
Here it's working perfectly also!

sctracey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me try to explain it this way and see if it helps explain my issue: The Homebrew Channel is installed on my NAND. When I display NAND channels, the homebrew channel shows, but choosing it dumps me out to the hackmii scam screen without the press 1 to continue option ever appearing. Do I have to just make a mental note (and try to convince the family) to not use the displayed NAND channel for homebrew channel and access it only by exiting? If so, is there a way to force USBLoaderGX to selectively not display channels?

I haven't even gotten to loading the forwarder dol in priiloader yet because of this issue. I am currently still booting directly to System Menu and then launching USBLoaderGX forwarder channel.

Thanks for the help

you launch the homebrew channel from the two installed channel in the NAND/EmuNAND mode?
Try to use "Home button" -> "Exit" -> "to homebrew channel" instead. (You can set the Home menu to "full" in the GUI settings).

If exiting to HBC doesn't work either, I guess you are loading the loader's boot.dol directly in priiloader. You should load the forwarder's boot.dol instead, and place the loader's boot.dol on your SD card.
The forwarder boot.dol for priiloader is in the "all-in-one" package, in the Wad/dol/ folder.

@fish & chips:
This is the boot.dol from the r1213 package I created which is available on googlecode?
Could you provide a screenshot of your Code dump? It will help me to find the problem and possibly fix it.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If booting the HBC channel from the NAND mode doesn't work (really, in never tried it), then you can hide it.
There's a way to hide channels selectively. You should do it for other unused channels (such as channels without banner, USBLoaderGX channel etc.)

Go to the Category filtering menu (the Desk icon in the menu).
Create a category that you want to be excluded from the view (for example call it "Hidden").
Click multiple time on this category to set a Cross checkbox type. It means "forbidden category". (Hidden [X])
At the top of the category, set the "All" category to a "Cross checkbox" too (All [X]), this one means "show everything, except the forbidden categories".
Now, go into the HBC channels > settings > Category : Enable the Hidden category (Hidden [√]).
That's all.

Resume to the Category filtering:
In the game's setting, set the categories you want that game to be part of, as many as you want.

in the Main Category menu:
All [√] = Show all categories/games/titles.
All [ ] = Do not display all games, instead only display games which are part of one of the checked [√] categories.
All [X] = Display all Categories/games/titles, except the one with a Forbidden [X] categories.

Category name [ ] : If All is not checked, a game containing this category will not be added to the display list.
Category name [√] : If "All" is not checked, a game containing this category will be displayed
Category name [X] : if "All" is not checked, a game containing this category will never be displayed (not the same as [ ])
Category name [X] : if "All" is set to [X], a game containing this category will not be displayed
Category name [+] ; if "All" is not checked, the games NOT containing this category will not be displayed. The [+] means "required category".

If you set Adventure[+] and Plateform[+], both categories are required so only games containing both Adventure AND plateform will be displayed (for example, La Mulana or Metroid)
but, if you set Adventure[√] and Plateform[√], then it will display ALL games with adventures, and ALL games with Plateform.

Note: mixed filtering Category1[√] and Category2[+] at the same time is not working. If you set at least a Category to [+], then only categories with [+] will be used and the [√] categories will be ignored.

It might seems a little hard to understand, but you should play a little with the settings to see how it works :)
check some examples: http://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-778#post-4251265

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
some codes require a different hooktype.
it's not the case for this game?

I got report that ocarina doesn't work on all games when using GX, I didn't check what's wrong yet.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
some codes require a different hooktype.
it's not the case for this game?

I got report that ocarina doesn't work on all games when using GX, I didn't check what's wrong yet.

Yeah the hooktype is something I've always found confusing...I rarely use it but it can be frustrating when I just want to use it - instead of worrying what a hooktype is or did I select the correct one.

Would there be a way to implement an automatic selector based off of a text list to ensure that when we "enable" Ocarina cheats, that it is actually enabled? (Instead of having the game load and realize that the hooktype was wrong and reload, test, reload, etc.)

sctracey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything worked great! Hiding unwanted channels and the rediscovery of the "Launch Homebrew" button on USBLoaderGX homescreen satisfied all of my needs. Thanks for all the help.

If booting the HBC channel from the NAND mode doesn't work (really, in never tried it), then you can hide it.
There's a way to hide channels selectively. You should do it for other unused channels (such as channels without banner, USBLoaderGX channel etc.)

Go to the Category filtering menu (the Desk icon in the menu).
Create a category that you want to be excluded from the view (for example call it "Hidden").
Click multiple time on this category to set a Cross checkbox type. It means "forbidden category". (Hidden [X])
At the top of the category, set the "All" category to a "Cross checkbox" too (All [X]), this one means "show everything, except the forbidden categories".
Now, go into the HBC channels > settings > Category : Enable the Hidden category (Hidden [√]).
That's all.

Resume to the Category filtering:
In the game's setting, set the categories you want that game to be part of, as many as you want.

in the Main Category menu:
All [√] = Show all categories/games/titles.
All [ ] = Do not display all games, instead only display games which are part of one of the checked [√] categories.
All [X] = Display all Categories/games/titles, except the one with a Forbidden [X] categories.

Category name [ ] : If All is not checked, a game containing this category will not be added to the display list.
Category name [√] : If "All" is not checked, a game containing this category will be displayed
Category name [X] : if "All" is not checked, a game containing this category will never be displayed (not the same as [ ])
Category name [X] : if "All" is set to [X], a game containing this category will not be displayed
Category name [+] ; if "All" is not checked, the games NOT containing this category will not be displayed. The [+] means "required category".

If you set Adventure[+] and Plateform[+], both categories are required so only games containing both Adventure AND plateform will be displayed (for example, La Mulana or Metroid)
but, if you set Adventure[√] and Plateform[√], then it will display ALL games with adventures, and ALL games with Plateform.

Note: mixed filtering Category1[√] and Category2[+] at the same time is not working. If you set at least a Category to [+], then only categories with [+] will be used and the [√] categories will be ignored.

It might seems a little hard to understand, but you should play a little with the settings to see how it works :)
check some examples: http://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-778#post-4251265

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland

just done a quick test with r1211 and r1213
downloaded codes for Pirates of the Caribbean (with GX) and turned Inf health on -works fine
so at least one game with one code works
could be just a false report or the the user simply don't know how to use codes correctly

Yeah the hooktype is something I've always found confusing...I rarely use it but it can be frustrating when I just want to use it - instead of worrying what a hooktype is or did I select the correct one.

Would there be a way to implement an automatic selector based off of a text list to ensure that when we "enable" Ocarina cheats, that it is actually enabled? (Instead of having the game load and realize that the hooktype was wrong and reload, test, reload, etc.)

First thing first, the text list should exist before the dev can do anything - you don't expect the dev to create the list themselves.
But then if the list exist, it won't be hard to look it up and store as a a per game setting. IMHO, its not worth the dev's precious time for it and would be on very low priority.

Even without the list, you can use the default hook type VBI and if that doesn't work, try a diferent hook. There is only a handful of different hook types. When you find a working hook type for a particular game, you can save them as a per game setting

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
just done a quick test with r1211 and r1213
downloaded codes for Pirates of the Caribbean (with GX) and turned Inf health on -works fine
so at least one game with one code works
could be just a false report or the the user simply don't know how to use codes correctly

First thing first, the text list should exist before the dev can do anything - you don't expect the dev to create the list themselves.
But then if the list exist, it won't be hard to look it up and store as a a per game setting. IMHO, its not worth the dev's precious time for it and would be on very low priority.

Even without the list, you can use the default hook type VBI and if that doesn't work, try a diferent hook. There is only a handful of different hook types. When you find a working hook type for a particular game, you can save them as a per game setting

Yes, I know all that.
Seems these cheats are unusable no matter what hooktype is applied.
Might be this game only by the fact that the NTSC-J version is also not accepting the cheats.

This is not a false report and I know how to use something simple like applying a cheat.
BTW you tested a totally different game.

I think this is game specific.
I'll try with CFG loader to see if there's a difference.
About the devs priority in managing the USBL GX project:
I know that Cyan is the only one making mods at this point in time.
He's doing an AWESOME job IMHO, getting a better coder everyday.
USBLGX is as good as it will get AT THIS MOMENT.
Investing in these "little bugs"is time well spent if you asked me.
It a bout the only thing left working on.
And that says alot about the quality of this loader.
It's awesome, complete, fast and very stable.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
@Hielkenator

Sorry, my post is not directing at you but the the statement that Cyan said:

if the report is true, then its a serious bug.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
maybe I phrased it wrong. (a la french :P)
I didn't meant that it doesn't work on any games, but that "not all of them" are working, but most do.

About the hooktype, it's usually written in the .txt file (and visible in geckocode website) if a specific hooktype is required.
If nothing is specified, then VBI is good.
For exemple : http://geckocodes.org/?c=RBHE08 (at the top, it says AXNextFrame is required).

Tatsunoko doesn't have any mention about hooktype, so VBI should work.
http://geckocodes.org/index.php?c=STKE08

If a code doesn't work, maybe it's because it's one with "XX" or "??" in the code?
You need to edit the .txt file in a text editor to set your own value, based on the information located in it.

I would like to implement a Code editor inside GX, but you know me, I'm sooo slow and I don't work on it every day.
The editor could display additional information located in the file:
Hooktype, comments, predefined values, etc.

Currently, the loader is working like that:
If a user has "Hooktype : Disable" in the setting, it's automatically set to VBI at game-launch if ocarina is enabled. I could rename Disabled to Auto.
I could make a hooktype detection too, if "AXNextFrame" is detected for example, force the hooktype to that one instead of VBI is "Disabled" is selected. (if the user set it to VBI, then force VBI)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/rMHTo4sAYKA?si=UTMogWR09JOPIPF_