• Views 7,189,993
  • Replies 29,369
  • Likes 48

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having options would be the best option. The amount of options available in this loader is amazing, and a little overwhelming.

I was originally just going to modify the source for myself and remove most options that I don't use, I never even thought to make the changes selectable and try to get them in the main source.
By all means, just do whatever you intend to do. I'm not trying to goad you into doing more - I understand how time consuming this hobby can be, just keeping up with all the developments, let along contributing. I'll just be happy to sample your final product and use it if I like it. However, I confess I might not keep it for long as GX continues to progress. If it ends up being a skin or theme, then it would have more lasting power.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think about a memorized states. like allowing 3 completely different settings, one per tab, and allow quick switch. For example it would be one tab for adults, one for the kids, one for the brother, each of the tabs with different game path/settings/categories/origins. user can select the icon for the tab in an icon-list (wii, wiiware, gc, ♀, ♂, or place one on the SD, or use a title, etc.)

that's a lot of work to rewrite ALL the sources where the settings are used...
(edit: or just creating different sub-folder to store the different tab-settings on the SD, but you need a master-setting file to set the parental settings, tabs infos, etc.)
Those are good ideas. In the end, however, I agree that having options is the best alternative. I still would like to be able to show all games in a single tab. I'm thinking something like tabs for Wii, GCN, WiiWare, VC, Homebrew, All, etc.
But all in due time, of course. Right now I would be content with support for the GCReEx extracted format which improves game loading times dramatically.
Having options would be the best option. The amount of options available in this loader is amazing, and a little overwhelming.

I was originally just going to modify the source for myself and remove most options that I don't use, I never even thought to make the changes selectable and try to get them in the main source.

if creating and submitting a patch is too much, you could always start a thread for your mod..im sure it will attract a few users ;)

PJM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if creating and submitting a patch is too much, you could always start a thread for your mod..im sure it will attract a few users ;)
It's not that it's too much, I'm just shy about posting code. I've been programming since 2002, but never actually landing a job in my specific field (I've had other IT jobs though), I have no way to judge how good I actually am. I've been doing this mainly as a hobby for my own purposes, like making changes to XBMC so it would run better on my AppleTV (pre-Eden).

I haven't even looked at the source yet to be honest, I'm still skinning, I just wanted to know what was possible with skins. I will create a new topic when the time comes :)

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
There's an argument that having too many options is not always useful. http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000059.html is a good read.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not that it's too much, I'm just shy about posting code. I've been programming since 2002, but never actually landing a job in my specific field (I've had other IT jobs though), I have no way to judge how good I actually am. I've been doing this mainly as a hobby for my own purposes, like making changes to XBMC so it would run better on my AppleTV (pre-Eden).

I haven't even looked at the source yet to be honest, I'm still skinning, I just wanted to know what was possible with skins. I will create a new topic when the time comes :)

come join us on irc. if you're good dimok might even let you join the staff channel. dont be shy..there's lots of good programmers/coders on there :)

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've been trying to compare the new format to the old.
I for one have not noticed any improvement in loading times.

I'm using an 8 gb class4 fat32/64kb sd card
Can you describe what test you have been doing to compare?
Just like I stated.
Old vs new extraction.
For me there was no difference in loading times.

I DID notice a speed boost in dml58 vs dml1.3 though.
In my case this had nothing to do with the extraction form.
Both methods were just as fast.

Tested the usual suspects;
mariokart
sunshine
windwaker
f-zero
latest dml booter

Could it be your sd card is faster? so it would make more of a difference?

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just like I stated.
Old vs new extraction.

mariokart
sunshine
windwaker
f-zero
latest dml booter

Well, I tested back to back extracted vs. DiscEx compressed and did measure the difference I mentioned. With the ISO format I would not see a difference in every game, just in some and under specific circumstances. If you are casually loading games, you may not see any difference, especially if you are not very familiar with how these games played with the retail disc.
In my case, I had played F-Zero GX to death, so I was able to notice the slower loading from cup to track selection screens and verified it with the real disc. To make sure we are making the same comparison, if you are willing, please prepare an ISO and an extracted version of F-Zero GX. With each of these, go into Practice mode. This will bring you to the cup selection screen. If you haven't played through the cups yet, you'll have three available to choose from. Measure the time it takes from when you choose one until the track selection screen loads with each file system.
Another game where I would get slowdowns was Eternal Darkness, at the very beginning when the Nintendo comes up. There the audio would stutter a bit for me.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just like I stated.
Old vs new extraction.

mariokart
sunshine
windwaker
f-zero
latest dml booter

Well, I tested back to back extracted vs. DiscEx compressed and did measure the difference I mentioned. With the ISO format I would not see a difference in every game, just in some and under specific circumstances. If you are casually loading games, you may not see any difference, especially if you are not very familiar with how these games played with the retail disc.
In my case, I had played F-Zero GX to death, so I was able to notice the slower loading from cup to track selection screens and verified it with the real disc. To make sure we are making the same comparison, if you are willing, please prepare an ISO and an extracted version of F-Zero GX. With each of these, go into Practice mode. This will bring you to the cup selection screen. If you haven't played through the cups yet, you'll have three available to choose from. Measure the time it takes from when you choose one until the track selection screen loads with each file system.
Another game where I would get slowdowns was Eternal Darkness, at the very beginning when the Nintendo comes up. There the audio would stutter a bit for me.

Hmm you seem to be right...
F-zero gx seems to load faster in the new format.
Not by much though, roughly a second or so, but it's faster.

Seems Dimok would be wise to update USBL GX!

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine now loads in a bit less than a second (vs. 2.5 with the ISO). It's not that the additional second bothered me that much but it was an indicator that there was a performance impact, which may prevent stutters in other games. I can't wait to move to this format. The only problem is that the the tool does not convert all games properly. I posted an issue about it in the DML google code page.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Mine now loads in a bit less than a second (vs. 2.5 with the ISO). It's not that the additional second bothered me that much but it was an indicator that there was a performance impact, which may prevent stutters in other games. I can't wait to move to this format. The only problem is that the the tool does not convert all games properly. I posted an issue about it in the DML google code page.
I know, some games get underdumped....

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, it has always been (2) on wiimote to see the game details.

We only added a link on the game window recently, but you always accessed it with the 2 button.

Like for downloading cover, it's 1 button OR clicking on the cover in list mode. but the main method is 1 button :P

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Howdy.

So I'm trying to get Wiiware games working on EmuNAND with USB Loader GX R1156 MOD15.
When I start any Wiiware game (I'll use Cave Story as an example), it'll just sit at a black screen and I can see my USB HDD light flashing every 10 seconds or so.

I used a NAND dumped by USB Loader GX and installed the Wiiware WADs using USB Loader GX.

I've tried NAND Chan. Emulation Full and Partial, and NAND save emulation Full, Partial, and Off.

Here's my sysCheck info.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me to get these to work!

sysCheck v2.1.0b18 by Double_A and R2-D2199
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6175).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.2U (v481)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: Unknown
Homebrew Channel 1.1.0 running on IOS58
Hollywood v0x11
Boot2 v2
Found 149 titles.
Found 39 IOS on this console. 2 of them are stub.

IOS4 (rev 3): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS11 (rev 257): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS12 (rev 525): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1031): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1031): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 523): No Patches
IOS17 (rev 1031): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 257): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS21 (rev 1038): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1293): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1806): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2817): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS31 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3351): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS37 (rev 3869): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 3867): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 5121): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5661): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6175): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 6401): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS61 (rev 5661): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6913): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS202[57] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v5.0): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS222[38] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v5.0): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS223[38] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4.0): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS224[57] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v5.0): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS236 (rev 1): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS247[57] (rev 21006, Info: d2x-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS248[56] (rev 21006, Info: d2x-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS249[56] (rev 21006, Info: d2x-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v4
MIOS v10

Report generated on 2012/04/05.

edit: Well I went ahead and installed d2x-v8-final and it made Cave Story work. However LIT, Megaman 9, and Space Invaders Get Even all simply reboot the Wii. I've tried full and partial NAND Chan. Emulation. But at least it's a change and it doesn't just sit at a black screen.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country

flashmanx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for some reason usb loader won't dl the cover for my games anymore
it worked just fine the other day
I uninstalled and reinstalled usb loader gx, i read somewhere manually put the .png files on a sd card i got the files off wbfs manager ut them in the cover folder on the root of my sd card made sure they were the proper size that I read they had to be and that didn't work. I even went on the settings and updated where it downloads the covers from. what do I do to get the art work to show up properly?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you know these are not for the public yet as they are still in beta, posting links will only add to the mass confusion if noobs report false problems, by all means post links to the google code page but not the download links directly.

I just wish they'd update the svn and go back to the beta's being the ones you build yourself.
I kinda understood all the time they were working on the banner code, but they've released that now anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: :(