• Views 7,165,126
  • Replies 29,363
  • Likes 48

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
It could be the IPL. It sounds like something is setting the console to an invalid video mode for your area.
NTSC, with purely NTSC games. The ONLY thing that might have something to do with it is that I changed video mode from auto to system default? But ive always used it like that... And besides, shouldnt it fail 100% of the times instead of VERY, VERY rarely? For instance, So far I haven't been able to trigger the issue again... But it itches me knowing that it could occur whenever it wants to...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's strange that even the system menu is black too.
the loader doesn't do anything new, and still uses the same video mode it always had.
the only recent changes are only the nintendont settings passed into the argument config/data. Then nintendont is responsible for modifying the video mode again (if needed).

Maybe nintendont does something new? but it's strange it happens only on the second game, not the first one.

you could try to revert your "updates" :
revert USBLoaderGX version to the one you had previously.
if it still happen, revert also nintendont. if it's fixed, it's a nintendont issue. try to update usbgx but not nintendont, etc.
narrow the possibilities ! :D

skarmachild

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope someone can help here, bit of a weird one.

I use USB Loader GX for Wii/GC games - usually I can launch Wii and GC games directly from that. The Wii games work fine, but when I play Gamecube games it just opens up Nintendont, from thereR I can select the game to play and load and it works.

It's just before this when I selected a GC game in USB Loader it would do all the setup and loading and jump straight into the GC game, but now it just jumps to Nintendont - where I can choose the game of course but its just a few extra steps and im not sure why theyve started doing this. Wonder if its the settings, hope someone can help! Thanks (:

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope someone can help here, bit of a weird one.

I use USB Loader GX for Wii/GC games - usually I can launch Wii and GC games directly from that. The Wii games work fine, but when I play Gamecube games it just opens up Nintendont, from thereR I can select the game to play and load and it works.

It's just before this when I selected a GC game in USB Loader it would do all the setup and loading and jump straight into the GC game, but now it just jumps to Nintendont - where I can choose the game of course but its just a few extra steps and im not sure why theyve started doing this. Wonder if its the settings, hope someone can help! Thanks (:

Either one or both of your loaders are out of date.

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
It's strange that even the system menu is black too.
the loader doesn't do anything new, and still uses the same video mode it always had.
the only recent changes are only the nintendont settings passed into the argument config/data. Then nintendont is responsible for modifying the video mode again (if needed).

Maybe nintendont does something new? but it's strange it happens only on the second game, not the first one.

you could try to revert your "updates" :
revert USBLoaderGX version to the one you had previously.
if it still happen, revert also nintendont. if it's fixed, it's a nintendont issue. try to update usbgx but not nintendont, etc.
narrow the possibilities ! :D
Couldn't get it to black screen again (tried every possible combination of video modes, settings and whatnot. Even things I know for a fact I never touched before) and nothing.
So I'll just chug it to bad luck (twice)
And it was not an HDMI connection issue or anything like that since the gamepad didn't display any image either.

So thats that for that "issue for now.
And now I remembered why I asked @GreyWolf if he could implement a Wii U widescreen toggle on a per game basis (for other systems like emunand, wii etc. besides nintendont)
It was because none of the VC titles launch in their correct aspect ratio, and a couple of Wii titles fail as well... So it would be a very welcome addition indeed. (What was it that made you refuse that @Cyan .Was it because you didn't want Wii users to be "confused"?)
Anyway, that would be awesome.
Also, on a different note. Regarding deflicker for nintendont. Are the arguments being passed on correctly? Is deflicker still an option in Nintendont? Reason I ask is because to be honest I can't tell the difference... And I've tried. On or OFF, games look exactly the same to me. Only melee shows a difference and thats by toggling the in-game switch. Which brings me to my next question: Say I turn off deflicker at the loader level (assuming the option is actually doing something) what happens with the in-game toggle? (ie: melee) does it work? What I mean is, it can't "turn off more" of the deflickering. Right? (Thats pure curiosity by the way)
Thanks, as always.

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I also never notice any difference with that option.
I might not be visually demanding or I have issue noticing.
Right? I wonder if it even does anything... Like I said, the only game in which I notice is in melee. And that's because its in the code of the game.
I asked on NINTENDONTs thread. I hope someone (specially FIX) gives me an answer cause to be honest, having an option that does nothing at all is kinda stupid. (if it indeed does nothing)

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I thought the per-game widescreen settings were fixed?
You mean, forcing aspect ratio (4:3/16:9) or wiiu widescreen (which is... The same? I guess??)
Really, whats the difference between those 2 options?
Anyway. No. Aspect ratio doesnt work (at least not for VC/WII games) and "wiiu widescreen" is not even an option.

Garflesaur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,
I want to play some n64 games, so I'm trying to install some n64 virtual console wads to the emuNAND through USBLGX. I'm pretty sure I'm using the correct menu option (settings>features>emuNAND Wad Manager>file>select wad>install) but I keep getting an error message. It gets almost immediately covered up by a box with a loading bar at 100%, no title, and 0 k/b of data listed. There's a cancel button but pressing it won't do anything and I have to reset the system. Since the error box gets covered up so fast, I can't tell exactly what the error is, but it looks like it's saying "Error: can't read" and then a filepath with the word 'content' in it.

I've tried and gotten the same result with 3 wads now. Using v3.0 rev1262. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
do you have a full NAND dump ? (features > NAND dump > Full)
installing wad require a full dump first.

then, N64 games are known to have a lot of incompatibilities with the somple cIOS emuNAND mode, you'll need Neek method for most of them.

you might need to read this guide to help you generate and use emuNAND with neek method :
https://gbatemp.net/posts/6592730

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I thought the per-game widescreen settings were fixed?
Uhmmm... Not trying to passive aggressively pressure you. Just wondering if you're looking into it or asked "just because".? Maybe @Cyan
You mean, forcing aspect ratio (4:3/16:9) or wiiu widescreen (which is... The same? I guess??)
Really, whats the difference between those 2 options?
Anyway. No. Aspect ratio doesnt work (at least not for VC/WII games) and "wiiu widescreen" is not even an option.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the difference between both options :

Aspect Ratio option affects the video buffer used by the game. (determines which area or the game is calculated and stored on the picture)
WiiU widescreen affect the TV out width, but works only on a WiiU. (determines the size and position of the picture which appears on your TV screen)

On gamecube and Wii, the TV picture width are always identical (usually 640*480px). There's no widescreen resolution setting in games(*1), and in early 2000's when widescreen TV started to be popular, nintendo decided to let the game fake the widescreen ratio by skewing the picture before sending it to the TV so the TV will stretch (unskew) it to fill the full widescreen area and look proportional.
the "aspect ratio" option tells the game to fake the widescreen and skew the picture before sending it to the TV. you lose some information on screen as the resolution is the same for more data to display.

If you want a good resolution/perfect ratio, you have to set the game to 4:3 AND set the TV settings to render the picture only on a 4:3 centered area, with black bars on the sides.
You need to use your TV settings, using your TV telecommand!

The WiiU has a native and real widescreen output.
If you select Aspect ratio 4:3 in the loader's settings, you need to either :
- Set your TV settings to 4:3 output (like before)
or
- let the console render in real 4:3 by adding black bar, without the need to modify your TV settings. (it's the "WiiU Widescreen" feature)

Some games don't have the option to skew the picture to look proportional on a widescreen TV, so you need to change your TV settings on both Wii or WiiU, or toggle the WiiU widescreen option on wiiU only (to prevent editing the TV setting).
What sidescroll asks is a per-game option to set the WiiU Widescreen setting(*2). Of course, it would be useful only on a WiiU, on Wii that option shouldn't even be displayed because it has no visual effect.

Some games have issues with the Aspect Ratio option and works only in 4:3 (some VC and wiiware, like neogeo)
That "WiiU Widescreen" option doesn't affect the game compatibility, it's a TV output setting only. the games work fine on Wii without that option, and are designed to be played without that option. It's just a nice trick to not use your TV telecommand by using a WiiU feature.
I added it to the settings>features as I thought it could be useful to "manually fix" the LULZ's aspect ratio problem if needed. The loader is correctly detecting the video mode and should fix it automatically.
I never intended to add it as game setting for wii games, because games were not designed to use it on Wii as they had their own setting (aspect ratio) to fix the widescreen TV problem. (gamecube on the contrary were rarely coded for widescreen and nintendont having that feature is a nice thing for the majority of games look better in 4:3)
Some Wii games were released with no option to skew the game's picture and look bad on a widescreen TV (Resident Evil 4?), too bad if you are on Wii as there's no software fix. if you are on WiiU, see it like a bonus : you can toggle the TV displayed area before launching the game instead of going into your TV settings. It's not like you play resident Evil every day and need to switch that option 20 times per day.

Few gamecube and Wii games have internal widescreen settings, which for most of the game, is doing the same skew+unskew effect without changing the output width on TV.
very few games have a pseudo real widescreen output, using 720*480 instead of 640*480

Nintendont has an option to force games to output on TV at 720pixels width (the "video width" option, 600+ 40 to 120)
This only affect the area displayed on TV, not the picture size rendered from the game.

Sometime, I feel like a picture to explain all this would be easier to understand, but I'm not good at doing charts and schematics.
And, I re-explain this every 3 months, for years now. a lot of users want to understand what the nintendont settings are really doing. making a guide out of that info could benefit a lot of users.

Nintendont already has that option as individual game settings sent to nintendont's config. obviously for gamecube games only.

Last edited by Cyan,

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
the difference between both options :

Aspect Ratio option affects the video buffer used by the game. (determines which area or the game is calculated and stored on the picture)
WiiU widescreen affect the TV out width, but works only on a WiiU. (determines the size and position of the picture which appears on your TV screen)

On gamecube and Wii, the TV picture width are always identical (usually 640*480px). There's no widescreen resolution setting in games(*1), and in early 2000's when widescreen TV started to be popular, nintendo decided to let the game fake the widescreen ratio by skewing the picture before sending it to the TV so the TV will stretch (unskew) it to fill the full widescreen area and look proportional.
the "aspect ratio" option tells the game to fake the widescreen and skew the picture before sending it to the TV. you lose some information on screen as the resolution is the same for more data to display.
I know. That's anamorphic widescreen. I wouldn't go as far as to call it "fake widescreen" cause even though you lose "pixel density" by stretching the image, it does display more information.

If you want a good resolution/perfect ratio, you have to set the game to 4:3 AND set the TV settings to render the picture only on a 4:3 centered area, with black bars on the sides.
You need to use your TV settings, using your TV telecommand!
Or, let Wii U widescreen take care of it for me. Since HDMI is capable of transmitting digital flags that tell the display what and how to display it.

The WiiU has a native and real widescreen output.
If you select Aspect ratio 4:3 in the loader's settings, you need to either :
- Set your TV settings to 4:3 output (like before)
or
- let the console render in real 4:3 by adding black bar, without the need to modify your TV settings. (it's the "WiiU Widescreen" feature)
This.

Some games don't have the option to skew the picture to look proportional on a widescreen TV, so you need to change your TV settings on both Wii or WiiU, or toggle the WiiU widescreen option on wiiU only (to prevent editing the TV setting).
What sidescroll asks is a per-game option to set the WiiU Widescreen setting(*2). Of course, it would be useful only on a WiiU, on Wii that option shouldn't even be displayed because it has no visual effect.

Some games have issues with the Aspect Ratio option and works only in 4:3 (some VC and wiiware, like neogeo)
That "WiiU Widescreen" option doesn't affect the game compatibility, it's a TV output setting only. the games work fine on Wii without that option, and are designed to be played without that option. It's just a nice trick to not use your TV telecommand by using a WiiU feature.
I added it to the settings>features as I thought it could be useful to "manually fix" the LULZ's aspect ratio problem if needed. The loader is correctly detecting the video mode and should fix it automatically.
I never intended to add it as game setting for wii games, because games were not designed to use it on Wii as they had their own setting (aspect ratio) to fix the widescreen TV problem. (gamecube on the contrary were rarely coded for widescreen and nintendont having that feature is a nice thing for the majority of games look better in 4:3)
Some Wii games were released with no option to skew the game's picture and look bad on a widescreen TV (Resident Evil 4?), too bad if you are on Wii as there's no software fix. if you are on WiiU, see it like a bonus : you can toggle the TV displayed area before launching the game instead of going into your TV settings. It's not like you play resident Evil every day and need to switch that option 20 times per day.
I am on Wii U. That's the whole point of me asking for the feature to be implemented on a per game basis man! :rofl2:
I agree on not playing RE 20 times a day, but it's not only RE which has the issue. Is the Wario game and ALL of the VC titles.
I know I could just use the Wii U widescreen feature in the loader before launching one of those games but if Nintendo wasn't able/didn't want to implement the feature and we can do things even better than Nintendo sometimes with the work of the amazing homebrew devs such as yourself. Then why the hell wouldn't we? You can't look me in the face and say that it isn't better to have things setup correctly from the get-go than to have to use a "hack" every time we want to use certain titles AND remember which were the ones with the issue so we don't end up having to go back to the loader, change the setting, launch the title again etc...
I KNOW we both like to keep things simple, to the point and functional...
And most importantly, if it's not a hard feature to implement (which it isn't since you have it at loader level) then why not?

Few gamecube and Wii games have internal widescreen settings, which for most of the game, is doing the same skew+unskew effect without changing the output width on TV.
very few games have a pseudo real widescreen output, using 720*480 instead of 640*480

Nintendont has an option to force games to output on TV at 720pixels width (the "video width" option, 600+ 40 to 120)
This only affect the area displayed on TV, not the picture size rendered from the game.

Sometime, I feel like a picture to explain all this would be easier to understand, but I'm not good at doing charts and schematics.
And, I re-explain this every 3 months, for years now. a lot of users want to understand what the nintendont settings are really doing. making a guide out of that info could benefit a lot of users.

Nintendont already has that option as individual game settings sent to nintendont's config. obviously for gamecube games only.
I (personally at least) don't need any picture to understand this. In fact, I'm all too familiar with aspect ratios and display settings.
As a matter of fact... I don't remember ASKING for the explanation. I only asked for the feature to be implemented :D
So you must be referring to all thos "other users" you speak of.

Don't take this the wrong way man, You know I've always tried to help you with testing and by helping other users. But I just don't see the reason for your refusal to implement such a simple feature. It's like you don't want to, "just because".
If you told me it was impossible, or too time consuming or whatever I would understand. But refusing something just because... I dunno... That's why I @GreyWolf . Maybe he is willing to put in the work so all you'd have to do would be to put in the main branch.
Thanks for eveything anyway @Cyan

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I said I thought that option was fixed because I thought I remembered fixing it. If there's an option to set Wii U widescreen then it should absolutely be saving it in the individual game setting profile. I don't have any way to tell if it's actually working though as I don't have a Wii U. I'll put it back on my list to look at it again.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So you must be referring to all thos "other users" you speak of.
yes, I spoke about the other users often asking that info.

what I find strange is the VC, they were released on Wii and the Wii didn't have the option to force the the TV out to 4:3, but there were an option to set the aspect ratio (WHICH BUGS on this loader !! it works fine on wiiflow). It never bothered nintendo to do that.
so I wonder why they didn't make the display with black bars on the side automatically to look proportional instead of having to edit the TV settings.

I know I always refuse, but I don't remember the reason (yeah, that's right).
I know one day I looked into it and said why, but I don't remember the reasons. I think it was mixed with :
- it was only one game (RE), but now you says it would benefit VC too, so I don't know anymore. but I'm sure that's because the aspect ratio option is currently not working that you need a way to "work around" instead of actually fix that option for good.
- not sure how to implement it (there were a reason it wasn't simple).
- I'd better work on fixing channel's settings existing aspect ration patching first and see if more aspect ratio option are still needed next.

I'll look into it and try to find my first post about it.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: lordelan

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi, I wanted to make a, maybe kind of weird, question:

I thought of giving Monster Hunter Tri a spin again, but with Capcom having closed the servers, a lot of content from the online part of the game is unable to be accessed.

Fortunately, there is a modification floating around the internet that changes the Single Player Content to simulate content from the Online part, by editing a few files on the disc file.

Now, here's my question: Can I have two copies of the same game (one original, one modified) in the same USB device, and would USB Loader GX have any problem with it? Both versions would have the same GameID (after all, you want the save file to be compatible with both), could that cause any issue? Also, what is the best way currently to rename games to differenciate them in USB Loader GX?

I could put them in different devices, but I personally would like having both together for convenience.

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I said I thought that option was fixed because I thought I remembered fixing it. If there's an option to set Wii U widescreen then it should absolutely be saving it in the individual game setting profile. I don't have any way to tell if it's actually working though as I don't have a Wii U. I'll put it back on my list to look at it again.
No. There's currently no Wii U widescreen option under "game settings". Only in the loaders settings and/or for GCN games.

yes, I spoke about the other users often asking that info.

what I find strange is the VC, they were released on Wii and the Wii didn't have the option to force the the TV out to 4:3, but there were an option to set the aspect ratio (WHICH BUGS on this loader !! it works fine on wiiflow). It never bothered nintendo to do that.
so I wonder why they didn't make the display with black bars on the side automatically to look proportional instead of having to edit the TV settings.

I know I always refuse, but I don't remember the reason (yeah, that's right).
I know one day I looked into it and said why, but I don't remember the reasons. I think it was mixed with :
- it was only one game (RE), but now you says it would benefit VC too, so I don't know anymore. but I'm sure that's because the aspect ratio option is currently not working that you need a way to "work around" instead of actually fix that option for good.
- not sure how to implement it (there were a reason it wasn't simple).
- I'd better work on fixing channel's settings existing aspect ration patching first and see if more aspect ratio option are still needed next.

I'll look into it and try to find my first post about it.
If I understand you correctly, you're wondering why Nintendo didn't "force" the VC AR to 4:3 by placing black bars on the sides? Well, I'd say that there are probably MANY users that actually prefer to have an image stretched all over their HDTVs and looking like crap instead of maintaining proportions (although I can't even begin to comprehend that) but it's a CHOICE nevertheless. And with baked in black bars there would be no way for people to stretch the image beyond the confines of their TVs.
IF that's what you meant...

Hi, I wanted to make a, maybe kind of weird, question:

I thought of giving Monster Hunter Tri a spin again, but with Capcom having closed the servers, a lot of content from the online part of the game is unable to be accessed.

Fortunately, there is a modification floating around the internet that changes the Single Player Content to simulate content from the Online part, by editing a few files on the disc file.

Now, here's my question: Can I have two copies of the same game (one original, one modified) in the same USB device, and would USB Loader GX have any problem with it? Both versions would have the same GameID (after all, you want the save file to be compatible with both), could that cause any issue? Also, what is the best way currently to rename games to differenciate them in USB Loader GX?

I could put them in different devices, but I personally would like having both together for convenience.
Don't quote me on this, but I think you can't have 2 copies of the same game without modifying it's header (which is pretty easy with a tool like "WiiBackupManager" if you're interested in that)
Or maybe you can, why don't you try? Although it would be hard to tell them apart since you wouldn't be able to rename it (even manually in the titles.txt file)since they're both using the same info.

Reactions: Maeson

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Wii U Widescreen is a GC setting. I don't know if there is a way to apply that to Wii/VC games.
Well, the loader as a WHOLE has the same option. Meaning that, if for instance I flip the switch on the settings EVERYTHING (VC, WW, Wii and even the loader itself) EVERYTHING becomes 4:3.
It's an option exclusive to Wii U because the system has the option to set AR flags (I'm guessing because it's a digital interface instead of analog composite/component)
They actually added that capability in a system update. A long, long time ago....

Last edited by sideskroll,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1