Hacking USB Loader GX Crash

WARlord1903

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so after buying another hard drive to use with USB Loaders GX, it finally recognizes my hard drive. However, when I set it to load multiple partitions, it crashes. I unplugged it and turned on multiple partitions, and then plugged in the hard drive again, but it crashes when trying to install games. The hard drive has 2 2tb partitions formatted to fat32. Any advice?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
is your drive formatted as GPT ?
There's a bug in current version of the loader which can't load multiple partition if they are not identical. (or maybe if partition numbers on the disc are odd instead of even)
GPT FAT32 + NTFS = crash
GPT FAT32 + FAT32 = works fine

But you said it has 2 FAT32 ?
Maybe your drive has a hidden partition which makes odd partition count?
you can use MBR to fix the problem, or format both (or more) partition using the same format. or format a single 4TB FAT32 partition.

Just a thing I want to know :
Why do you want to use the "multiple partition" option ?
Do you know its purpose ? because I'm pretty sure almost nobody knows.
hint : NO, it's not used to enable support for more than one partition, or have Wii + gamecube on different partitions, that option is rarely needed unless you already filled 2TB of wii games on the first partition and you start adding Wii games to the second one, in that case it's normal it crashes if you set the first partition as "install partition" because it's full, you need to set the install partition to the second one (where you have free space).
the "multiple partition" is used for Wii games only, to list multiple /wbfs/ folder at the same time.

Last edited by Cyan,

WARlord1903

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is your drive formatted as GPT ?
There's a bug in current version of the loader which can't load multiple partition if they are not identical. (or maybe if partition numbers on the disc are odd instead of even)
GPT FAT32 + NTFS = crash
GPT FAT32 + FAT32 = works fine

But you said it has 2 FAT32 ?
Maybe your drive has a hidden partition which makes odd partition count?
you can use MBR to fix the problem, or format both (or more) partition using the same format. or format a single 4TB FAT32 partition.

Just a thing I want to know :
Why do you want to use the "multiple partition" option ?
Do you know its purpose ? because I'm pretty sure almost nobody knows.
hint : NO, it's not used to enable support for more than one partition, or have Wii + gamecube on different partitions, that option is rarely needed unless you already filled 2TB of wii games on the first partition and you start adding Wii games to the second one, in that case it's normal it crashes if you set the first partition as "install partition" because it's full, you need to set the install partition to the second one (where you have free space).
the "multiple partition" is used for Wii games only, to list multiple /wbfs/ folder at the same time.

Oh, I was not aware of this being the use for the multiple partition option. Anyways, I tried to format the whole thing using GUI/fat32 Formatter, but it said that the drive was too large for fat32.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's a common issue, and there's a solution with seagate and western digital HDDs.
if you have another brand, you'll have to check the manufacturer's website.

you need to format the drive using the manufacturer tool and choose "Windows XP compatibility", but it can have different name.

If you don't want to do that you can verify your drive has 2 partitions only (not 3, no hidden partitions etc.)

WARlord1903

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a common issue, and there's a solution with seagate and western digital HDDs.
if you have another brand, you'll have to check the manufacturer's website.

you need to format the drive using the manufacturer tool and choose "Windows XP compatibility", but it can have different name.

If you don't want to do that you can verify your drive has 2 partitions only (not 3, no hidden partitions etc.)
Okay, so I downloaded the fat32 formatter from Western Digital, but it still says that the drive is too small, even in compatibility mode.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it's probably not the right tool you used, because you didn't see the "XP compatibility" option, did you?

there's a thread explaining all the details and linking to the correct tool.
I don't have the link right now, but the thread's title looks like this "2T 3T 4T HDD how to make them work on USB Loader" .... or something like that.
it has been active few days ago, so it's not hard to find.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you have a WD, you want to grab WD Qick Formatter.
What I did was use EaseUs to first wipe the disk of all partitions then convert it to MBR as it’ll be GPT out of the box and to covert to MBR you’ll need to delete all partitions first so that’s the first step. Can’t remember if I then assigned a drive letter at this stage, if I did then I chose Unformatted option.
Then use the WD quick format tool from the WD website and if the option appears (it didn’t for me but still works fine) check XP compatibility.
Now you can use guiformat to format the whole thing to fat32.
Note, anything up to 4TB you can choose 32k clusters. Anything larger you’ll need to select 64K clusters.

Reactions: KhenemetHeru

WARlord1903

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's probably not the right tool you used, because you didn't see the "XP compatibility" option, did you?

there's a thread explaining all the details and linking to the correct tool.
I don't have the link right now, but the thread's title looks like this "2T 3T 4T HDD how to make them work on USB Loader" .... or something like that.
it has been active few days ago, so it's not hard to find.
Okay, for some reason Aomei Partition Manager let me format the entire thing to fat32, so I guess I'm good now? I'll try it out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol