Unified account system confirmed for the 3DS!

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
This has one flaw: the account is region locked (very very likely it will).

Two worse things:
Wii U will be region locked (expected though)
Likely many future Nintendo systems will be RL.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Two worse things:

If the Wii U was region locked I wouldn't mind, now the games themselves having a region lock on them in this day and age is daft yes

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
While I didn't know if it is possible or not,I didn't know why,but this argument doesn't seem quite valid.
It's two different platforms, simple as that. titles can be ported/re-coded to work on a different platform, but then that'd be a specific version then. somehow, i think people think you can just copy Wii VC and it would magically work on a 3DS. no, it wouldn't (unless for some reason, the Wii and 3DS VC are coded exactly the same-- but no, they're not). Wii VC are coded to work on Wii hardware/framework and 3DS VC are coded to work on 3DS hardware/framework.

Two worse things:
The software (games) is region-locked, not the console/system. Or at least, that's how I remember it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. If one can remove the region-lock from games, you can play it on any region's console (JP, US, EU).

Reactions: 1 person

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
the source says that this will only be released in usa and north america, i think europe will be ignored for a while yet, as expected as always, nintendo really need to modernise with other current gen consoles and cater for a global audience instead of shutting the rest of the world out.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
the source says that this will only be released in usa and north america, i think europe will be ignored for a while yet, as expected as always, nintendo really need to modernise with other current gen consoles and cater for a global audience instead of shutting the rest of the world out.
I'm pretty certain that Japan will get it as well.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
I'm pretty certain that Japan will get it as well.

lol Japan and Eur will get before USA

its a update that makes Wii U and 3DS sync accounts so will probally be a week before WiiU release

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
:toot: :toot: :toot:
This is pretty exciting! But personally I'm still not convinced to get retail games digitally only because there is no way to sell them later on; however, the games I know I'll keep are an exception.
Hooray Nintendo for deciding to catch up already. I'm curious to know if we will have the option (or hopefully be forced) to replace our 3DS friend codes with nicknames/gamertags/whatever they're called.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
:toot:
This is pretty exciting! But personally I'm still not convinced to get retail games digitally only because there is no way to sell them later on; however, the games I know I'll keep are an exception.
Hooray Nintendo for deciding to catch up already. I'm curious to know if we will have the option (or hopefully be forced) to replace our 3DS friend codes with nicknames/gamertags/whatever they're called.

there is a new law in europe that gives you the right to resell a digital copy, hopefully nintendo take that in mind when the new nintendo network comes live on the wii u + 3DS.

pocchama1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is a new law in europe that gives you the right to resell a digital copy, hopefully nintendo take that in mind when the new nintendo network comes live on the wii u + 3DS.

That won't happen. Nintendo would make no money. The reason selling retail used games is okay is because some people don't want used/worn discs. If they were to allow resale of digital games then people could buy a game, play it, sell it for like 1 dollar cheaper than nintendo are selling it and then turn around and use that money to buy another used digital game. That business model is a terrible idea and will never happen, ever, by any company.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
That won't happen. Nintendo would make no money. The reason selling retail used games is okay is because some people don't want used/worn discs. If they were to allow resale of digital games then people could buy a game, play it, sell it for like 1 dollar cheaper than nintendo are selling it and then turn around and use that money to buy another used digital game. That business model is a terrible idea and will never happen, ever, by any company.

then that would be illegal on nintendo's part, it's a new LAW that nintendo would have to abide by in europe and if they didn't they would be breaking the law wouldn't they?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I'm not mistaken, there isn't a new law about this. It was a court ruling that interpreted the existing laws to mean that such a thing (resale of digital titles) must be allowed... in the EU only.

From what I understand, there's a lot that still has to be worked out and adjusted (How should this be implemented? What rates would be acceptable? Will this be EU only, or voluntarily extended to other regions? etc., etc.), so it might be a little while before we feel the impact of this ruling.

D

Deleted_171835

Boo yeah.

Now I can feel comfortable buying full 3DS games on the eShop. Easiest way for them to implement an account system is by linking it through Club Nintendo.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is great news! Hopefully this means the ability to have multiple 3ds systems on the same account share eshop content. Maybe I have that wrong. If it's just for sharing between 3ds and wiiu, I wouldn't really care. I'm not gonna buy the wiiu close to launch, if at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol