Unable to update to 5.5.6

leejaclane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii U (North American) won't start the download to update from 5.5.5 to 5.5.6, I have Tiramisu installed but have done no other modifications to the Wii U system (nor were there any modifications prior to this) and I already disabled autoboot for the environment loader per the instructions in the guide for Tiramisu. I unplugged all USB devices, I took out the SD card, I restarted the Wii U several times, I restarted our internet. I have not deleted or edited the update folder, or altered any DNS settings. The Wii U has standby/quickstart disabled and always has. On the vWii side, I have only installed the homebrew channel and cIOS by the currently recommended methods, I have not patched IOS 80. Nothing is installed on the Wii U (except of course the environment loader).

I have internet, and the Wii U is able to connect to it. I can download files with NUSspli, and I can download from the Wii Shop Channel. But without the latest update, I can't sign in to NNID services. When I start the update, it begins downloading, but before any progress is made I am given an error code, 105-3015.

I can't for the life of me figure out any answer to what my problem is that doesn't involve the vWii modifications. I ran vWii decaffeinator once in the past, before this latest update, and was able to redownload everything just fine. Is it the cIOS causing an issue? Is it something else?

What are my options here?

I could try uninstalling the environment loader. I could try the vWii decaffeinator, try uninstalling the homebrew channel for vWii. I could try a factory reset, though I'd prefer not to.

Is it possible to download the update somewhere else and manually install it on the system, since it seems to be the initial download that's failing here? Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm at a complete loss as to what the cause could be. The Super Mario 64 DS analog stick patch? Which is on the external hard drive, which isn't plugged in... I have no clue honestly, especially since I seem to be the only one having this specific issue that I can find by searching the error code (though people have had it with previous updates for reasons that I don't think are the reasons I'm having the issue).

leejaclane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I definitively never removed the update folder, there's no question of that, and I'm the only one who's ever touched this console to do any homebrew on it, we got it new years ago. I've kept careful notes on everything I've done with homebrew so I can undo, fix, or troubleshoot things more easily. There would be no reason for me to remove the update folder with Tiramisu anyway, setting the environment loader to autoboot accomplishes the same goal more easily (and is more easily reversed). I wouldn't even know how to delete the folder. I've never even used any FTP applications -- the only things I've done besides the initial Tiramisu installation are patching Super Mario 64 DS with analog controls, running the compat installer to install the homebrew channel for vWii, installing cIOS to vWii, downloading some stuff with NUSspli, and installing some Wii / GameCube injections (which I've since deleted, and were only on the external hard drive).

And, of course, backups were made before doing any of those things, but that shouldn't be relevant.

I can try this anyway though, I suppose it's possible something somehow got deleted or altered or corrupted. But I don't have much clue what to use on the PC side, what type of FTP client I mean.

leejaclane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what was snipped but it does sound a lot like the update folder was deleted the more I think about it, for it to fail before it actually starts downloading. I believe when I searched my error code that was the case for someone else on here too in a previous update last year, or at least that remaking the folder fixed it for them. So I'll figure out an FTP client to use on PC and then try that solution when I have time for it.

Also I apologize if I came off as rude previously when I went on and on about how I didn't delete or alter the folder, since describing the problem it sure sounds like that's what happened. No idea how it happened though tbh, assuming it did...

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what was snipped but it does sound a lot like the update folder was deleted the more I think about it, for it to fail before it actually starts downloading. I believe when I searched my error code that was the case for someone else on here too in a previous update last year, or at least that remaking the folder fixed it for them. So I'll figure out an FTP client to use on PC and then try that solution when I have time for it.

Also I apologize if I came off as rude previously when I went on and on about how I didn't delete or alter the folder, since describing the problem it sure sounds like that's what happened. No idea how it happened though tbh, assuming it did...
Don't worry about it. Filezilla client is what I use, but pretty much any client will work as long as it has passive mode.

Reactions: leejaclane

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is just a wild guess but 105-3015 might be a generic file(system) error. The Hynix problem™ comes to my mind here, for example.

@Maschell @GaryOderNichts I think it could help to grab a syslog to see the real issue. What do you think?

//EDIT: For the update folder don't use FTP but this: https://github.com/GaryOderNichts/UFDiine/releases - it will tell you if the folder is missing or not.

Reactions: leejaclane

leejaclane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A friend of mine who also never touched the update folder or used FTP at all had the same error code, and he had to delete the folder and create a new one. I'm not sure of the details, if it was a capitalization mismatch or something was corrupted, they didn't tell me and I didn't ask yet.

I'll use the tool to see if the folder is there, when I have the time & energy to mess with the Wii U. I'm very grateful for all of the assistance.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the privileges to that folder are incorrect, then updating will error. That's what happened to me, but I had deleted the folder.

leejaclane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I used UFDiine, and the update folder indeed does exist. Should I delete it now, or is there something else anyone would like me to do first?

I'm thinking it's like my friend's Wii U, he had this problem I'm having and deleting & recreating the folder fixed it for them. But if it would help to diagnose what the issue is, I can wait and do it after using some other app (you'll have to tell me what to use, I still don't know most of the different homebrew apps).

EDIT: Sorry, I'm impatient and probably going to just go ahead and delete & recreate the folder to update now.

EDIT 2: Deleting and recreating the folder did indeed fix the issue. I probably should've been more patient so I could help diagnose what the issue was, since it affected at least one other person I know of.

Last edited by leejaclane,
Reactions: Kopimist

User99947

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I used UFDiine, and the update folder indeed does exist. Should I delete it now, or is there something else anyone would like me to do first?

I'm thinking it's like my friend's Wii U, he had this problem I'm having and deleting & recreating the folder fixed it for them. But if it would help to diagnose what the issue is, I can wait and do it after using some other app (you'll have to tell me what to use, I still don't know most of the different homebrew apps).

EDIT: Sorry, I'm impatient and probably going to just go ahead and delete & recreate the folder to update now.

EDIT 2: Deleting and recreating the folder did indeed fix the issue. I probably should've been more patient so I could help diagnose what the issue was, since it affected at least one other person I know of.
Hi I'm having a very similar issue with my Wii U where it begins the update and then immediately goes to an error message. How would I do what you did with zero knowledge on modding? I really want to fix my console.

Slicks18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii U (North American) won't start the download to update from 5.5.5 to 5.5.6, I have Tiramisu installed but have done no other modifications to the Wii U system (nor were there any modifications prior to this) and I already disabled autoboot for the environment loader per the instructions in the guide for Tiramisu. I unplugged all USB devices, I took out the SD card, I restarted the Wii U several times, I restarted our internet. I have not deleted or edited the update folder, or altered any DNS settings. The Wii U has standby/quickstart disabled and always has. On the vWii side, I have only installed the homebrew channel and cIOS by the currently recommended methods, I have not patched IOS 80. Nothing is installed on the Wii U (except of course the environment loader).

I have internet, and the Wii U is able to connect to it. I can download files with NUSspli, and I can download from the Wii Shop Channel. But without the latest update, I can't sign in to NNID services. When I start the update, it begins downloading, but before any progress is made I am given an error code, 105-3015.

I can't for the life of me figure out any answer to what my problem is that doesn't involve the vWii modifications. I ran vWii decaffeinator once in the past, before this latest update, and was able to redownload everything just fine. Is it the cIOS causing an issue? Is it something else?

What are my options here?

I could try uninstalling the environment loader. I could try the vWii decaffeinator, try uninstalling the homebrew channel for vWii. I could try a factory reset, though I'd prefer not to.

Is it possible to download the update somewhere else and manually install it on the system, since it seems to be the initial download that's failing here? Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm at a complete loss as to what the cause could be. The Super Mario 64 DS analog stick patch? Which is on the external hard drive, which isn't plugged in... I have no clue honestly, especially since I seem to be the only one having this specific issue that I can find by searching the error code (though people have had it with previous updates for reasons that I don't think are the reasons I'm having the issue).

HEY GUYS! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I ALMOST HAD A HEART ATTACK! I THOUGHT MY U GOT BRICKED! What you have to is change the settings back to "Installer" then choose "Wii U Menu" so it can go back to regular settings. The reason it doesn't work with Tiramsu is because Tiramsu blocks updates so the U thinks it's up to date when it's not! So just hold the "X" button on startup and it will prompt you to the installer settings. ONE THING I DID WRONG WAS REMOVE THE SD CARD BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT THE UPDATE TO BRICK MY U! BUT YOU NEED TO KEEP THE SD CARD IN ORDER TO CHANGE THE SETTINGS! AND IT ALSO WON'T BRICK YOUR WII U! GAMERS ARE JUST SAYING THAT! THANK YOU SO MUCH I WAS SO SAD THIS MORNING!!! 😭💔

leejaclane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I'm having a very similar issue with my Wii U where it begins the update and then immediately goes to an error message. How would I do what you did with zero knowledge on modding? I really want to fix my console.
Assuming you've already disabled autoboot following this guide https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/unblock-updates

The same guide has now been updated to talk about using UFDiine. There's a download link under the "Recreating Update Folder" tab for UFDiine, it's very simple to run it. Assuming your problem is the same as mine, it'll say the update folder exists. Press A button to delete it, then press A button again to recreate it. You should be able to download the update after that. Then, I'd suggest deleting the folder again to block future updates in case you like to use quickstart with Tiramisu so that auto-updates will be blocked, just in case some auto-update in the future causes problems.

User99947

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming you've already disabled autoboot following this guide

The same guide has now been updated to talk about using UFDiine. There's a download link under the "Recreating Update Folder" tab for UFDiine, it's very simple to run it. Assuming your problem is the same as mine, it'll say the update folder exists. Press A button to delete it, then press A button again to recreate it. You should be able to download the update after that. Then, I'd suggest deleting the folder again to block future updates in case you like to use quickstart with Tiramisu so that auto-updates will be blocked, just in case some auto-update in the future causes problems.
Thank you for the response. How do I disable autoboot?

leejaclane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@User99947 Just follow the guide I linked to. With the SD card with Tiramisu on it inserted in your Wii U, hold X button while powering on the console. Navigate to "installer," select "boot options," switch boot title back to Wii U menu. It's all there in the guide.

That is of course if you have Tiramisu, which I'm assuming you do. That's also assuming you enabled the autoboot in the first place.

Is it the same error code I was getting? 105-3015? Just out of curiosity.

User99947

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@User99947 Just follow the guide I linked to. With the SD card with Tiramisu on it inserted in your Wii U, hold X button while powering on the console. Navigate to "installer," select "boot options," switch boot title back to Wii U menu. It's all there in the guide.

That is of course if you have Tiramisu, which I'm assuming you do. That's also assuming you enabled the autoboot in the first place.

Is it the same error code I was getting? 105-3015? Just out of curiosity.
Mine said 105-3012. I'm not sure what autoboot is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps