Tutorial  Updated

Using Luma3DS + Gateway on B9S

SYSNAND-ONLY USERS: DO NOT BOOT GW MODE ON 11.3+ - YOU WILL LOSE B9S AND BE LEFT ON A STOCK FIRMWARE
I highly advise against the use of GW on SysNAND-Only Setups.
GW currently DOES NOT support firmwares 11.3//11.4 - B9S does not change that!
If you're on 11.3+ - Don't even try to use GW. Use Luma3DS or any other CFW that has confirmed support for 11.3+ firmwares.

Setting up GW with Luma3DS' chainloader

Requirements: SysNAND or EmuNAND on 11.2 or lower!
Tested and working on B9S 1.2 (Luma3DS 8.0)
  1. Download the v2gw.zip attached to this post.
  2. Extract the "arm9loaderhax.bin" from v2gw.zip to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
  3. Rename that very "arm9loaderhax.bin" you just extracted to "v2gw.bin" or to whatever you want. However, step 12 will assume v2gw.bin was used, you can edit that reference to meet whatever you decided to name it.
  4. Download GW's ‘arm9loaderhax.bin.zip‘ file.
    • On their main home page. Under the post titled: "GATEWAY 4.0B PRIVATE BETA #2"
    • Or on their openly public Private Beta Program page, on this page it'll be under the "» arm9loaderhax for users with existing a9lh installs" section.
  5. Extract GW's "arm9loaderhax.bin" file from their zip file to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
  6. Rename that very "arm9loaderhax.bin" you just extracted to "gateway.bin"
  7. Make sure you have the latest GW's Launcher.dat on the root of your SD Card.
  8. This dev-build of BootCTR9: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-the-bootctr9-release-thread.435347/page-3#post-7370533
  9. Extract the "boot.firm" file from the BootCTR9-firmv2.zip to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
  10. Rename that very "boot.firm" you just extracted to "down_BootCTR9.firm" or to whatever you want that is allowed by Luma3DS' payload chainloader.
    - Other button options: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Other-features-and-notes#payload-chainloading
  11. Extract the "boot_config.ini" file from from the BootCTR9-firmv2.zip to the root of your SD Card.
  12. Open the "boot_config.ini" file and overwrite everything with the following:
    Code:
    [BOOTCTR9]
    key_delay = 1000

[DEFAULT]
    path = /luma/payloads/v2gw.bin
  13. You are now done. If you followed this tutorial, holding DPAD-DOWN at boot time, will load up Gateway Mode.
    - SysNAND-Only Users on 11.2 will be prompted to press 'L+R+SELECT' to boot SYSNAND. DO NOT PRESS THE BUTTON PROMPT ON 11.3+
    - GW EmuNAND users will automatically boot into their GW EmuNAND.

FAQ

Q: How do I boot into the GW Menu?
A: Hold L+Select, as soon as you see the Dragon Logo.

Q: Can I use my GW Blue Card?
A: Yes, but only while using Luma3DS. It will not work in GW Mode.

Q: Can I play online while in GW Mode?
A: Yes, sort-of. But you have to either:

Q: I'm getting a black screen!? HELP!?
A: Multiple reasons for that below:
  • Modified SecureInfo_A - GW does not patch this. You'll need an untouched donor file of this.
  • Using a RedNAND - GW only supports GW EmuNAND, it cannot boot RedNAND. Use the GW Menu or GodMode9 to make one.
  • On SysNAND-Only Setups - Not having properly removed EmuNAND//RedNAND. Use GodMode to properly format your SD Card. But I advise you set one up.
  • Trying to boot an 11.3//11.4 EmuNAND - GW does not support anything higher than 11.2
  • If it's not listed, then who knows. Do you have a modified Home Menu or font? Those might not work at all in GW Mode.

Credits

Many thanks to the above lovely people~ <3 ♥
Original posts:
Link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-gateway-on-a9lh-v2.431222/page-4#post-6464898
Link: http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/page-4#post-6472283
Link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-booting-gw-with-b9s-and-some-help.471417/

I highly advise against the use of GW for SysNAND-Only setups.

11.3&11.4 Break GW. GW currently DOES NOT support 11.3 or 11.4. You will either brick or lose A9LH. More than likely it seems you will just lose A9LH.

Again, if you attempt to boot GW Mode, on a SYSNAND-Only Setup while on 11.3 or 11.4, you will lose A9LH. It does not matter if you safely updated to this firmware via another CFW that safely protects FIRM.

If you want to use 11.3+, you will not be able to use GW. Don't even try. Only use Luma3DS or other CFW that support 11.3+

If you are a Gateway3DS user, and have recently finished Plailect's A9LH Guide, then you should be on v2 A9LH. Unfortunately, at the time this thread was made, GW's a9lh.bin file is incompatible with Luma3DS' payload chainloading feature while on v2 A9LH.

So one way around this was to either forego using Luma3DS' payload chainloading, and use a boot manager that does work in initializing GW's a9lh.bin correctly. Like BootCTR9. Either you let BootCTR9 handle all payloads, or you set it up to chainload into Luma3DS and from there let Luma3DS do all the work.

Either way, some people might not like BootCTR9 (Big fan of BootCTR9, seriously thing is amazing~!)

So if you don't want to use the BootCTR9 method, then @Hayleia made a very stripped down boot manager that only loads /luma/payloads/gateway.bin. You still need GW's a9lh.bin in addition to this stripped down bootmanager, but that's all you need, these two files! No need for messy configs if you just want to stick with Luma3DS' payload chainloader.

Now on to the damn tutorials already~!

Gateway Logo

1. Download the v2gw.zip attached to this post.
2. Extract the "arm9loaderhax.bin" from v2gw.zip to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
3. Rename that very "arm9loaderhax.bin" you just extracted to "down_v2gw.bin" or to whatever you want that is allowed by Luma3DS' payload chainloader.
Other button options: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Other-features-and-notes#payload-chainloading
You have to get this directly from Gateway's site. Which is either:
A) On their main home page.
B) Or on their openly public Private Beta Program page, on this page it'll be under the "» arm9loaderhax for users with existing a9lh installs" section.
5. Extract GW's "arm9loaderhax.bin" file from their zip file to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
8. You are now done. If you followed this tutorial, holding DPAD-DOWN at boot time, will load up Gateway Mode.
However, if you are a SysNAND Only User, and on 11.1 and using the 4.2 Launcher.dat, you will be prompted to press 'L+R+SELECT' to boot SYSNAND.
GW EmuNAND users will automatically boot into their GW EmuNAND.

Notes: To Boot into the GW Menu: Hold L+Select, as soon as you see the Dragon Logo.
To Force a Manual Gateway3DS RedCard Update: Hold R+Select as soon as you see the Dragon Logo.

No Gateway Logo (Not Recommend - Only for those allergic to the dragon logo - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK)

Notes: This version will de-init the screen by default, and as such you won't see the Gateway Logo. Don't worry it'll init once you land on the Home. Due to how this works, only GW EmuNAND users should consider using this. This is because SysNAND users will land on the SysNAND prompt nag.

1. Download the v2gw-de-init.zip attached to this post.
2. Extract the "v2gw.bin" from v2gw-de-init.zip to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
3. Rename that very "v2gw2.bin" you just extracted to "down_v2gw.bin" or to whatever you want that is allowed by Luma3DS' payload chainloader.
Other button options: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Other-features-and-notes#payload-chainloading
You have to get this directly from Gateway's site. Which is either:
A) On their main home page.
B) Or on their openly public Private Beta Program page, on this page it'll be under the "» arm9loaderhax for users with existing a9lh installs" section.
8. You are now done. If you followed this tutorial, holding DPAD-DOWN at boot time, will load up Gateway Mode without the Gateway Logo.

Tested on N3DS and O3DS by me, 2DS by @Hayleia.
Should work on either screen-init or non-screen-init v2 A9LH.

Important Note: Never update your SysNAND in Gateway Mode. It does not matter what Launcher.dat version you use, if you go ahead and update while in SysNAND Mode, you will either brick or lose A9LH+CFW and be on the latest stock firmware. This is because GW Mode does not offer FIRM protection in A9LH. Updating your GW EmuNAND is fine and safe, and is what Gateway actually recommends you do and use even when using A9LH.

!~Getting Black Screen After Dragon Logo and After Following This Guide~! (PLEASE READ)
Sounds like someone hasn't properly removed their EmuNAND//RedNAND with EmuNAND9. The Black Screen problem is common to people who skipped doing it properly and used a third-party tool like EaseUS or any other partition manager.

Since EmuNAND//RedNAND wasn't removed properly, traces were leftover and GW by default sees it, and tries to boot into this non-existent EmuNAND//RedNAND and fails. So how do we fix it? We use EmuNAND9 to preperly remove traces of it.

Part 5, Section V of the old A9LH guide covers this. However, I will list all relevant steps here.
Link: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide_R...ax)#section-v---removing-rednand-from-your-sd

The new guide also sort of mentions if in this new page, and does show you how to setup EmuNAND9:
Link: https://plailect.github.io/Guide/move-emunand

Files we'll need:
Latest release of EmuNAND9: https://github.com/d0k3/EmuNAND9/releases/latest

1. Copy EmuNAND9.bin from the EmuNAND9.zip to the /luma/payloads/ folder on your SD card and rename EmuNAND9.bin to y_EmuNAND9.bin
2. Backup every file on your SD card to a folder on your computer, all files will be deleted in the following steps
3. Reinsert your SD card into your 3DS
4. Hold (Y) at boot time to open EmuNAND9
5. Go to "SD Format Options...", then select the "Format SD (no EmuNAND)" option, and wait for it to finish
6. Press (B) to return to the menu, then press Select to safely eject your SD Card
7. Put your SD card back into your computer, and copy all the files you backed up previously, back into your SD Card
8. Reinsert your SD card into your 3DS, then press (Start) to reboot

Additional Note: You will still have to look into BootCTR9 if for some reason you want GW to be the default, as opposed to Luma3DS. This tutorial is meant more for the people who want Luma3DS as their main//default, and want to use Luma3DS' payload chainloader to boot into GW Mode.
Go to the following link for the tutorial on setting up GW as your main with BootCTR9.
Link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-gateway-on-a9lh-v2.431222/

All credits to @Hayleia for making both of these~! Thank you~ <3 ♥
Original posts:
Link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-gateway-on-a9lh-v2.431222/page-4#post-6464898
Link: http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/page-4#post-6472283

Attachments

• v2gw.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 12,153
  • v2gw-de-init.zip
    9.1 KB · Views: 3,294
Last edited by Temptress Cerise,

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You only need an EmuNAND on 11.2. You can keep your SysNAND on 11.6. Technically you CAN boot GW from an 11.2 SysNAND, but it's going to ask for that button combo every time (fortunately, since it probably prevents a lot of accidents). If you give GW the EmuNAND it wants you to use anyway, it just boots without any hassles. As for using this guide, read the post above your own. You can make multiple downloads and follow a long list of steps, or just drag and drop. Your call.
Sorry but the instructions were clear enough. I already updated my emuNAND to 11.6 before and it broke it of course (black screen). How do I create a new one based on sysNAND 11.2 and boot into it from the current sysNAND 11.6? Your InScripted pack seems to be on maxconsole and not an ISO site.

Last edited by BullyWiiPlaza,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issues with the DS flash cart seems unusual. You may want to report it to the Luma team if this is happening with the latest build. Though you've got a 99% chance of being told it's not their problem. Such is the Luma dev team's attitude these days.
thats because its not lumas fault its b9s that is at fault and section one of 3ds guides troubleshooting section should fix that Troubleshooting - 3DS Guide

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry but the instructions were clear enough. I already updated my emuNAND to 11.6 before and it broke it of course (black screen). How do I create a new one based on sysNAND 11.2 and boot into it from the current sysNAND 11.6? Your InScripted pack seems to be on maxconsole and not an ISO site.

It's the same process as I mentioned here. Updating, downgrading, it's all done the same way. Just hold L when booting Luma to boot to the 11.6 EmuNAND (since you can't boot it with GW) and then run SysUpdater. Just pick the "downgrade" option instead of the "update" one.

And actually, it's on both. You can get it from either. The only difference between the two files is that one has a password (the one on that max site is the one that does not). It just takes more words to type the name of the section it's in on max, so I advertise that copy less (besides, that copy already gets vastly more hits, so it doesn't need as much advertising).

thats because its not lumas fault its b9s that is at fault and section one of 3ds guides troubleshooting section should fix that Troubleshooting - 3DS Guide

Ah, I should have known a Luma zealot would show up to defend Luma's honor eventually. But in your haste to rush to your god's defense, you only half read the user's post. The DS cart is working 2/5 times. If the TWL partition was corrupted/downgraded, it would be working 0/5 times. So, it's not that. It might help if we knew what card it was. Then everyone that has it could try to repeat the experiment. But let's not be so quick to presume your god is perfect. Contrary to popular religion, the Luma devs are human.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I should have known a Luma zealot would show up to defend Luma's honor eventually
lol he has fw problems (likely from a mistake he made while trying to use his jankey ass gateway card) and you should focus on that instead of trying to assume each problem has absolutely nothing to do with each other and blame them on devs (as if you can write and upkeep a cfw better)

But let's not be so quick to presume your god is perfect. Contrary to popular religion, the Luma devs are human.
lol i actually use reinand . . . thanks for the presumption yourself . . . fyi i am not "defending my god" you yourself attempt to break up what is obviously a frainkenfirm problem, and blame the user error that caused it on everything but the user . . . so i was following suite and looking at why without including gateway as the cause because gateway owners get pissy when ever they think of the better than gateway luma3ds (shit rxtools is better but i digress) or any cfw that works properly . . . like any cfw should
But in your haste to rush to your god's defense, you only half read the user's post.
i read his post and yours but a gateway user refuses to admit when his device is reduced in usefulness/(ease of use) from great to troublesome at best gateway the gateway left you and all there other customers in the dust its not luma or its devs fault if you want to cling to gateway (get over it gateway no longer pushes updates so gateway users often have problems . . . and with that people who wanted a gateway because cfw was too hard for them now have to jump through hoops to get it working . . . and guess what they make mistakes)

in conclusion i see you blame everything except the most likely cause of any of his (totally unrelated to each other . . . lol) problems. but i would bet that if he ctrtransfers a lower fw then updates his problem (frinkenfirm) would be solved effectively proving you are not only presumptuousness but wrong as well

p.s. someone suggest its not lumas fault and you get pissed and bring god into this, so if gateway is your "god" then is luma the devil ?

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol he has fw problems (likely from a mistake he made while trying to use his jankey ass gateway card) and you should focus on that instead of trying to assume each problem has absolutely nothing to do with each other and blame them on devs (as if you can write and upkeep a cfw better)

lol i actually use reinand . . . thanks for the presumption yourself . . . fyi i am not "defending my god" you yourself attempt to break up what is obviously a frainkenfirm problem, and blame the user error that caused it on everything but the user . . . so i was following suite and looking at why without including gateway as the cause because gateway owners get pissy when ever they think of the better than gateway luma3ds (shit rxtools is better but i digress) or any cfw that works properly . . . like any cfw should
i read his post and yours but a gateway user refuses to admit when his device is reduced in usefulness/(ease of use) from great to troublesome at best gateway the gateway left you and all there other customers in the dust its not luma or its devs fault if you want to cling to gateway (get over it gateway no longer pushes updates so gateway users often have problems . . . and with that people who wanted a gateway because cfw was too hard for them now have to jump through hoops to get it working . . . and guess what they make mistakes)

in conclusion i see you blame everything except the most likely cause of any of his (totally unrelated to each other . . . lol) problems. but i would bet that if he ctrtransfers a lower fw then updates his problem (frinkenfirm) would be solved effectively proving you are not only presumptuousness but wrong as well

p.s. someone suggest its not lumas fault and you get pissed and bring god into this, so if gateway is your "god" then is luma the devil ?

I'm an objectivist (thus, an atheist) if you must know. I regard all forms of higher authority as dishonest manipulations by the lazy people at the top to usurp a living at the expense of everyone else. But enough about me. Besides, the two things you should never discuss are politics and religion. All it does is make people angry. I was speaking metaphorically about the way people religiously defend the developers at even the slightest suggestion that there MIGHT be a bug. Perhaps I should have referenced the Jeff Foxworthy joke about climbing a water tower with a can of spray paint to defend your sister's honor instead.

First, Google the term "EmuNAND" and get back to me when you understand what it means. Almost everyone still using Gateway is booting it to an EmuNAND. Therefore, Gateway has NO ACCESS TO SYSNAND. So, how is Gateway allegedly messing up something it can't even access? Maybe you should actually stick to trying to troubleshoot things you actually know about and stop harassing Gateway users when you obviously have no clue how Gateway even works. FYI, Gateway works just like any other CFW. It's no more complicated to use alongside Luma than ReiNAND is. But it can load ROMs too. It's just an extra hotkey that I have, and you don't. That's it. And it's much easier to keep an extra hotkey around than convert hundreds of offline-only ROMs. But don't stop now. Go ahead ahead and blame Gateway for all those hurricanes and mass shootings we've been having while you're at it.

I never said I could write a better CFW (but if you ever need a hard mod...). What does that even have to do with anything? I'm not blaming anyone. But to assume that all DS flash cart problems are a result of the same underlying issue (one that causes TWL mode not to work AT ALL, and is therefore easily eliminated as a possibility by simple deduction at that, with this being an INTERMITTENT issue) is a bit naive to say the least.

And no, we don't create franken-firmware on the SysNAND or do any of the other crazy things you just made up off the top of your head. I have no idea where you people get your information, but I'd appreciate you sending me some of whatever your source for GW info is smoking. It must be some good stuff. Some people that care about online play partially update EmuNAND, but even if someone decided to play Russian Roulette and do it on SysNAND (which I can assure you, no one does), there would still be no franken-TWL. Nothing from TWL has been updated since about 7.x on the O3DS and 9.0 on the N3DS. Considering every file used in a partial update is from 11.x, everything would STILL be the latest version. So your attempt to blame TWL mode issues on a lack of GW updates is baseless (just like your assumption that it's some kind of hassle to keep using it)
Furthermore, the random crashes in BootCTR9 ARE A KNOWN BUG. They were fixed in a recent release, so, yes, that IS a known separate problem that they could have been experiencing.

The only way Gateway could be the problem is if they ever downgraded from 9.2 to 4.5 back when that was a thing. It's pretty easy to find and fix if it's there. Back up your NAND (in case you screw up), then go into the CTRNAND partition and delete anything that's in all caps.

Last but not least, a CTRNAND transfer is not going to prove anything either way, since it's practically transferring an entire NAND image. That would be like if someone comes to me and says that they think their PC has a virus because it's acting sluggish. So, I restore a Ghost image, the problems go away, and then I say, "There you go, your problem was WannaCry." :rofl2:. Obviously, I didn't even try to figure out what it was, I just overwrote the whole boot drive. That the system is now working correctly or better does not prove that it ever had WannaCry, or even a virus at all (it could have been fragmentation slowing it down).

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its funny you assume i dont own a gateway just because i oppose gateway . . . i have one and it is lame in comparison to normal cfws

i know what emunand means and if you really think sysnand is untouchable from it then perhaps you should do some reading . . .

most gateway owners have had there gateway cards for a long time so its normally safe to assume that the system went through a ctrtransfer (or sysupdater downgrade) at one point or another

and yes i know people dont create frankenfirm (intentionally . . . anymore!) i did not say this guide gave frankenfirm to him or anything but read my above point

I never said I could write a better CFW (but if you ever need a hard mod...). What does that even have to do with anything?
i am simply saying that to simply say "its a luma problem take it to them . . . " is proves you are more naive than i if you understood the root of the problem (or luma) you would know that its not lumas fault . . .

But to assume that all DS flash cart problems are a result of the same underlying issue (one that causes TWL mode not to work AT ALL, and is therefore easily eliminated as a possibility by simple deduction at that, with this being an INTERMITTENT issue) is a bit naive to say the least.
assumption it may be (just like your diagnoses) but obviously you have not been paying attention did i say all ds mode problems have the same root? no i believe i said it was frankenfirm caused by user error . . . fyi there is more than one single title responsible for ds mode and any one of them can cause the issue . . . but the 3 titles (not single but 3) can be replaced by the guide i linked

Last but not least, a CTRNAND transfer is not going to prove anything either way, since it's practically transferring an entire NAND image.
true it would not prove anything definitively (except that his nand either had frankinfirm or worse corruption) but as your example suggest (btw piss poor example . . . slowdown vs random fatal errors ... lol) a ctrtransfer would solve the issue (one way or another). . . dude did you get too caught up with defending gateways (already shitty) reputation to remember to actually fix the users issue ?. . . "tell it to luma devs" wont get him closer to a fully functional system (as you said luma devs dont care about this issue . . . and do you know why ?. . . because its not a luma issue)
So your attempt to blame TWL mode issues on a lack of GW updates is baseless (just like your assumption that it's some kind of hassle to keep using it)
i did not say that the lack of gateway updates was the reason that he has frankinfirm some other cfw sounds like you are some kind of superfan claiming gateway works perfectly with zero hoops to jump through (you know the feeling as you attempted to rip me a new one for saying its not lumas fault). . . that part of the post was directed at you get over gateway bro (or at least its jockstrap) its a non-updated outdated and otherwise pointless novelty at this point. its just not practical anymore
anywho i am done arguing (debating . . . or whatever this is) have a nice day buddy :lol:

Last edited by wormdood,

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its funny you assume i dont own a gateway just because i oppose gateway . . . i have one and it is lame in comparison to normal cfws

i know what emunand means and if you really think sysnand is untouchable from it then perhaps you should do some reading . . .

most gateway owners have had there gateway cards for a long time so its normally safe to assume that the system went through a ctrtransfer (or sysupdater downgrade) at one point or another

and yes i know people dont create frankenfirm (intentionally . . . anymore!) i did not say this guide gave frankenfirm to him or anything but read my above point

i am simply saying that to simply say "its a luma problem take it to them . . . " is proves you are more naive than i if you understood the root of the problem (or luma) you would know that its not lumas fault . . .

assumption it may be (just like your diagnoses) but obviously you have not been paying attention did i say all ds mode problems have the same root? no i believe i said it was frankenfirm caused by user error . . . fyi there is more than one single title responsible for ds mode and any one of them can cause the issue . . . but the 3 titles (not single but 3) can be replaced by the guide i linked

true it would not prove anything definitively (except that his nand either had frankinfirm or worse corruption) but as your example suggest (btw piss poor example . . . slowdown vs random fatal errors ... lol) a ctrtransfer would solve the issue (one way or another). . . dude did you get too caught up with defending gateways (already shitty) reputation to remember to actually fix the users issue ?. . . "tell it to luma devs" wont get him closer to a fully functional system (as you said luma devs dont care about this issue . . . and do you know why ?. . . because its not a luma issue)
i did not say that the lack of gateway updates was the reason that he has frankinfirm some other cfw sounds like you are some kind of superfan claiming gateway works perfectly with zero hoops to jump through (you know the feeling as you attempted to rip me a new one for saying its not lumas fault). . . that part of the post was directed at you get over gateway bro (or at least its jockstrap) its a non-updated outdated and otherwise pointless novelty at this point. its just not practical anymore
anywho i am done arguing (debating . . . or whatever this is) have a nice day buddy :lol:

And we create franken-firm by accident? I'm pretty sure I know when I held L, and GW boots to EmuNAND by default if present, so, doing a partial update on SysNAND by accident would be pretty difficult. And neither a transfer nor using SysUpdater inherently creates a franken-firm either.

You seem a bit obsessed. Because you are practically suggesting that every issue MUST BE franken-firm. When what you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail. Unless you're familiar with the source code, there is no possible way you can know for sure that it is not a Luma issue. The cart is working some of the time. If their TWL was truly borked, as you suggest, it would work NONE of the time. Besides, BootCTR had a bug that was causing random crashes. The author fixed it. You cannot say to a degree of certainty that Luma is free of similar bugs unless you've read the source code from start to finish. Also, I in no way implied that a transfer would fix the problem. It very well may not. And it could get them banned, since it moves the friend code seed (an official system transfer does not). Nintendo logging the same seed on a different system could very well trigger a ban. So I would be very hesitant to recommend that, except in the worst of cases. I'd prefer to solve their problem without setting them up for a ban in the process. So, let's find out what this actually is, not follow a blanket solution that carries a 99% ban risk and may not even work. The old version of BootCTR9 will still crash intermittently on you even if your NAND is perfect, because what's causing the crash is NOT a NAND problem. All similar symptoms do not necessarily have a similar solution.

You need to LOOK AT THEIR PROBLEM, not impose yours. They have a flash cart working INTERMITTENTLY. If it wasn't working at all, yes, we could suspect it was the TWL firm that was corrupt, or maybe a really old flash cart that needs a loader. But it works sometimes. So that throws both of those theories right out the window. You want to assume that, just because they have GW, you can automatically write off the problem as user error. But I'm willing to keep an open mind. And I'm heavily inclined to lean towards it being Rosalina, considering all of the other incompatibility issues it has introduced. They should see if the cart works in ReiNAND or legacy (InScripted provides both on hotkeys, so it's easy). If it does, then yes, they definitely should submit a report to the Luma team.

Now I've fed you 3 times. That's 3x my normal limit. So, welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So why not simply tell BootCTR9 to load gateway's arm9loaderhax.bin directly? Why is there this mid step of bootctr9 --> v2gw.bin --> gateway.bin, and not simply bootctr9 --> gateway.bin?
I don't know, why don't you try it and see? At the time this was updated, BootCTR9 couldn't do that.

I haven't tested the latest BootCTR9 build, so I can't tell you if it works or not. If it does, nice, I can remove those steps. If it doesn't, then well, I'm not really updating this guide.

I'm also well aware of the converted .firm that's been mentioned, I just won't use it. My stance on that is that a if Mods//Staff approve it, then cool, I'll change the guide to include and use it.

chango

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
I don't know, why don't you try it and see? At the time this was updated, BootCTR9 couldn't do that.

I haven't tested the latest BootCTR9 build, so I can't tell you if it works or not. If it does, nice, I can remove those steps. If it doesn't, then well, I'm not really updating this guide.

I'm also well aware of the converted .firm that's been mentioned, I just won't use it. My stance on that is that a if Mods//Staff approve it, then cool, I'll change the guide to include and use it.

Hello! Thank you so much for writing this guide. I have been reading it for several months in preparation to migrate my systems over.

This seems to be a very controversial thread full of the typical Gateway haters and teenagers who have way too much free time available in their lives and find it most useful to repeatedly claim how much Gateway sucks and how they are the center of the universe because they believe CFW to be superior. I use EUR N3DS units and have been running Gateway on it since the day the day N3DS was supported. I've heard all the Gateway hate over the years, and despite its limitations, it offers one single function that I have yet to be able to overcome with ANY hardware/CFW combo besides Gateway: It allows me to carry as many games with me as I have room for. Most people never hit the limit but the maximum installed titles (Including badges and folders) is 300, and I have not had the ability to add games directly to my home menu for a long time, I'm at the maximum. That means that the red Gateway is my only recourse for carrying around as many games as I desire.

I have a few quick questions I hope you can help me with before I go through with this big change. From what I understand, this guide will have me setup so I boot to Luma by default, but should I wish to play .3DS from the red Gateway cartridge, I can power reboot into Gateway's CFW. I have never installed A9LH or GodMode9 on the EUR N3DS units that I wish to update, but I am very familiar with the installation process for both. Before I use your guide I'm assuming I'm supposed to first install GodMode9 using the 3ds guide beforehand? Also you mention Gateway emuNANDs - I have emuNANDs on the systems I intend to setup. You're recommending I keep the emuNAND? Does that mean when I use the 3ds guide I should skip the step where the installer converts emuNAND to sysNAND?

Thanks again for the help. I've wanted to do this a long time but I've been worried I might mess something up.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It allows me to carry as many games with me as I have room for. Most people never hit the limit but the maximum installed titles (Including badges and folders) is 300, and I have not had the ability to add games directly to my home menu for a long time, I'm at the maximum. That means that the red Gateway is my only recourse for carrying around as many games as I desire.
thats the only respectable reason to use gateway
I have a few quick questions I hope you can help me with before I go through with this big change. From what I understand, this guide will have me setup so I boot to Luma by default, but should I wish to play .3DS from the red Gateway cartridge,
then you hold "L" as you power on the console
I have never installed A9LH or GodMode9 on the EUR N3DS units that I wish to update, but I am very familiar with the installation process for both. Before I use your guide I'm assuming I'm supposed to first install GodMode9 using the 3ds guide beforehand?
correct
Before I use your guide I'm assuming I'm supposed to first install GodMode9 using the 3ds guide beforehand? Also you mention Gateway emuNANDs - I have emuNANDs on the systems I intend to setup. You're recommending I keep the emuNAND?
correct

Does that mean when I use the 3ds guide I should skip the step where the installer converts emuNAND to sysNAND?
also correct

Reactions: Temptress Cerise

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! Thank you so much for writing this guide. I have been reading it for several months in preparation to migrate my systems over.

This seems to be a very controversial thread full of the typical Gateway haters and teenagers who have way too much free time available in their lives and find it most useful to repeatedly claim how much Gateway sucks and how they are the center of the universe because they believe CFW to be superior. I use EUR N3DS units and have been running Gateway on it since the day the day N3DS was supported. I've heard all the Gateway hate over the years, and despite its limitations, it offers one single function that I have yet to be able to overcome with ANY hardware/CFW combo besides Gateway: It allows me to carry as many games with me as I have room for. Most people never hit the limit but the maximum installed titles (Including badges and folders) is 300, and I have not had the ability to add games directly to my home menu for a long time, I'm at the maximum. That means that the red Gateway is my only recourse for carrying around as many games as I desire.

I have a few quick questions I hope you can help me with before I go through with this big change. From what I understand, this guide will have me setup so I boot to Luma by default, but should I wish to play .3DS from the red Gateway cartridge, I can power reboot into Gateway's CFW. I have never installed A9LH or GodMode9 on the EUR N3DS units that I wish to update, but I am very familiar with the installation process for both. Before I use your guide I'm assuming I'm supposed to first install GodMode9 using the 3ds guide beforehand? Also you mention Gateway emuNANDs - I have emuNANDs on the systems I intend to setup. You're recommending I keep the emuNAND? Does that mean when I use the 3ds guide I should skip the step where the installer converts emuNAND to sysNAND?

Thanks again for the help. I've wanted to do this a long time but I've been worried I might mess something up.

Actually, that guide site is outdated. It doesn't even install GodMode9 properly (as a firm), is over-complicated with it's lack of automated scripting, and requires multiple downloads from several separate sites. What limited scripting the guide has, they were too lazy to even compile into SSRs. My installer uses compiled SSRs. You get taken straight to the menu. No need to go to the "Scripts" menu within GM9 at all. Just grab InScripted (iso site, CFW Discussion section, or max site, A9LH and Custom Firmware Discussion section). It already has ALL the files you need, and it's already pre-configured with Gateway included (not to mention several CFWs, not just Luma, because you can run them all side-by-side and it won't hurt anything, since they're not really CFWs, they're technically homebrew enablers, and do all of their patching in memory, so since you can have them, you might as well). I also offer several unique options like scripts that will help with converting saves between GW and CIA format.

All you need to do is copy the configuration in "B9S Configurations" that matches your system hardware to the card (either the contents of "N3DS" or "O3DS" that is, don't copy the folder itself). Then, since you don't have A9LH installed, you copy over the contents of the "One & Done" folder. If you need an exploit, use the Soundhax folder if you're on 9.0 to 11.3, or run the included MSET .nds ROM on a DS flash cart like it was "GW Installer" if using 4.x or 6.x (or 9.x with a downgraded MSET). If you use Soundhax, you'll need to do the udsploit+Safehax combo with wifi enabled (unless you're on 9.2 -- then you can just run OldLoader from the homebrew menu). If you use NTRBootHax or the MSET method though, they'll take you straight to the installer menu. At the installer menu, just pick the first option. When the system reboots, it should be ready to go. If Luma gives an error booting, simply hold X at boot to run Rei-Six, and pick a basic theme to kill Menuhax. A config file is included, so, Rosalina should already work from Download Play.

As for whether you want to skip converting EmuNAND to SysNAND, I personally wouldn't. The best thing, IMHO, is to have your EmuNAND and SysNAND linked so that you can play the same CIAs on both. GW will still run just about every game out there, and you may want to use their superior cheat engine with your installed games. So, I would say go ahead and transfer your EmuNAND to SysNAND (I include an easy script for this, I might add), just don't delete EmuNAND. The only downside to having linked NANDs is that when you install new content on one NAND, you need to update your tickets on the other one before you switch to the other one. Otherwise, your new games won't show up on the other NAND, and will get repackaged when you switch back. To help with this, I have included some scripts to synchronize your tickets.

InScripted also offers several features that the guide does not, like the ability to set your default payload (it uses BootCTR9 by default, not Luma, so you get to choose what boots by default, though by default, it is set to Luma), hotkeys, etc. You can even switch chainloaders. For example, you can use CBM9 if you prefer menus over hotkeys. You can even switch to Luma's if you're Hell-bent on it (but you'll just lose the ability to set your default payload, and Gateway will have to be launched through two chainloaders instead of one, so there's not a single good reason to do it, but it's there all the same).

You may want to hold off though. I'm about to release a new version that places all of the scripts into 3 pre-compiled apps. No more uncompiled scripts for setting things like default payloads and hotkeys. It will all be in the "Settings" app (which will be hotkeyed to R). You'll be able to change all that stuff I mentioned just by holding R at boot. The rest of the options, like ticket synchronizing, will be in the "Options" and "NAND Manager" apps. Both of which will be on the "extras" menu (hold down at boot). I'll also be expanding GW save conversion to work with Checkpoint (CIA version only though, due to how GW works), expanding on the ticket synchronization functionality by adding backup and restore features, and adding extra troubleshooting features, like one to delete Menuhax. I'm just working on a few finishing touches and typing the documentation. It should be out by the end of the week.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

DaarK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm sorry if this question has already got a reply here but, what exactly does it do?
What are the benefits of using it?

I have a O3DS with GW 4.2 SysNAND / 11.2 Emunand.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry if this question has already got a reply here but, what exactly does it do?
What are the benefits of using it?

I have a O3DS with GW 4.2 SysNAND / 11.2 Emunand.
the whole point(s) of emunand was 1. brick protection (no longer needed as b9s provides excellent brick protection. 2. and the ability to have a fully updated emunand (not possible as gateway apparently dropped support) so you could play online . . . now as you cant update emunand but can update sysnand safely (thanks to b9s) you can still have a fully updated nand to use for online play

chango

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Actually, that guide site is outdated. It doesn't even install GodMode9 properly (as a firm), is over-complicated with it's lack of automated scripting, and requires multiple downloads from several separate sites. What limited scripting the guide has, they were too lazy to even compile into SSRs. My installer uses compiled SSRs.

Whoa, first of all let me thank you for your valuable contributions to this scene and I also bow to your 3DS scripting voodoo. My brain could not possibly be linking one to another in such a fashion and I operate my life around thriving for efficiency, so I bow to your godlike status in this realm. You're right, that guide is missing godmode9 documentation entirely. I checked out your project and am extremely impressed. I'm going to spend the rest of the evening combing through the documentation and scripts, but right off the top I had a question. The first line of your release states: " Warning: Running Gateway mode on an 11.3 or higher SysNAND will either put you on retail or brick the device. " which would lead me to believe that rather that what I've been doing with 3DS units following that guide have me immediately update sysNAND to latest and I can continue to update them with current... which leads me to a question I have about this vs. this next quote...

the whole point(s) of emunand was 1. brick protection (no longer needed as b9s provides excellent brick protection. 2. and the ability to have a fully updated emunand (not possible as gateway apparently dropped support) so you could play online . . . now as you cant update emunand but can update sysnand safely (thanks to b9s) you can still have a fully updated nand to use for online play

... this is exactly why I was going to take my 3DS units to LUMA via that method- I wanted to get online via an updated SysNAND - at this point I've been offline basically all year since Gateway disappeared. And of course once Now I haven't dug too deep in yet, but are you saying that when everything is said and done there is still a path for me to get online with a current firmware? Or a suitable alternative for updating my sysNAND? if I link together the emuNAND to the sysNAND as you suggest, they both will have to be on 11.2, like my emuNAND currently is, correct?

I apologize for the ignorance. I've been busy with other platforms and projects all year and have had very little time invested into the 3DS side of things as everything functioned so smooth for so long, until it didn't.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoa, first of all let me thank you for your valuable contributions to this scene and I also bow to your 3DS scripting voodoo. My brain could not possibly be linking one to another in such a fashion and I operate my life around thriving for efficiency, so I bow to your godlike status in this realm. You're right, that guide is missing godmode9 documentation entirely. I checked out your project and am extremely impressed. I'm going to spend the rest of the evening combing through the documentation and scripts, but right off the top I had a question. The first line of your release states: " Warning: Running Gateway mode on an 11.3 or higher SysNAND will either put you on retail or brick the device. " which would lead me to believe that rather that what I've been doing with 3DS units following that guide have me immediately update sysNAND to latest and I can continue to update them with current... which leads me to a question I have about this vs. this next quote...

... this is exactly why I was going to take my 3DS units to LUMA via that method- I wanted to get online via an updated SysNAND - at this point I've been offline basically all year since Gateway disappeared. And of course once Now I haven't dug too deep in yet, but are you saying that when everything is said and done there is still a path for me to get online with a current firmware? Or a suitable alternative for updating my sysNAND? if I link together the emuNAND to the sysNAND as you suggest, they both will have to be on 11.2, like my emuNAND currently is, correct?

I apologize for the ignorance. I've been busy with other platforms and projects all year and have had very little time invested into the 3DS side of things as everything functioned so smooth for so long, until it didn't.

Your SysNAND can be on an updated version just as long as you have an EmuNAND. Fortunately, if there is an EmuNAND on the card, Gateway will automatically use it by default. In which case, you would have to hold L+Select to boot to the menu, then with GW mode selected, hold B and hit A, then hit X to confirm, just to boot it into SysNAND. That's pretty hard to do by accident. It will only try to boot into SysNAND by default with no EmuNAND on the card. Even then, GW 4.2 will ask for a key combination to proceed. Just, if you ever do get asked for that combo, don't enter it. Most GW users have an EmuNAND, so they will probably never even see it. Still, the disclaimer seemed warranted.

And no, linked NANDs do not need to be on the same version. Mine are linked, and my SysNAND is on 11.6, while my EmuNAND is on 11.2 (well, partial 11.4 actually). Linked NANDs only share SD card data, so there is no threat to your exploit. The only drawback to having linked NANDs is that if you switch to the other NAND without synchronizing the tickets, your new content won't show up, and will get repackaged when you switch back. I've tried to minimize that hassle with my included "Ticket Sync" scripts. R10 will have a "Ticket Master" in it's "Options" app (I'm expanding the feature to include backup and restore options). I planned to have it out already, but there's a lot of documentation to update.

BTW, some people have apparently restored online functionality in GW mode simply by updating the friends module to the latest version. If you decide to try it, backup your EmuNAND first, just in case something goes wrong.

chango

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Your SysNAND can be on an updated version just as long as you have an EmuNAND. Fortunately, if there is an EmuNAND on the card, Gateway will automatically use it by default. In which case, you would have to hold L+Select to boot to the menu, then with GW mode selected, hold B and hit A, then hit X to confirm, just to boot it into SysNAND. That's pretty hard to do by accident. It will only try to boot into SysNAND by default with no EmuNAND on the card. Even then, GW 4.2 will ask for a key combination to proceed. Just, if you ever do get asked for that combo, don't enter it. Most GW users have an EmuNAND, so they will probably never even see it. Still, the disclaimer seemed warranted.

And no, linked NANDs do not need to be on the same version. Mine are linked, and my SysNAND is on 11.6, while my EmuNAND is on 11.2 (well, partial 11.4 actually). Linked NANDs only share SD card data, so there is no threat to your exploit. The only drawback to having linked NANDs is that if you switch to the other NAND without synchronizing the tickets, your new content won't show up, and will get repackaged when you switch back. I've tried to minimize that hassle with my included "Ticket Sync" scripts. R10 will have a "Ticket Master" in it's "Options" app (I'm expanding the feature to include backup and restore options). I planned to have it out already, but there's a lot of documentation to update.

BTW, some people have apparently restored online functionality in GW mode simply by updating the friends module to the latest version. If you decide to try it, backup your EmuNAND first, just in case something goes wrong.

Thank you for the very detailed response. I appreciate all of your help. I went through with the installer and got to the point where it asked if I wanted to change the RTC. I thought it was probably better not to, but I did anyways. The last message I saw was a hint that RTC in home menu needs to be manually set. Then when I boot my 3ds, it boots into a Luma exception error. That terrified me until I booted Luma Legacy and removed menuhax by changing a theme.

The ticket sync option is great, I've never heard of that before. I've decided its a great idea to link my emuNAND to sysNAND - Once its copied over, Luma will auto-boot my sysNAND that has everything from my emuNAND copied over and I can update sysNAND, correct? It copied the emuNAND to sysNAND just fine ;) Everythings booting right now...

I suppose none of it matters as I could just set rebind, but I didn't see a single specific spot where the defaults were listed.

One further question, the Stealth Mode script only uses ReiNAND? What exactly does this accomplish for hiding CFW? Is this the only way to use CFW online without a ban, or does this just hide the text that reads out the CFW version in System Options?

Is your next version of InScripted nearly ready? I've waited this long, and I really like the Options mapped to R you described, another few days won't kill me, but I have 4 other various 3DS units to configure and I'm excited to try out your scripts in combination with the NTRBootHax card I've been using. Then again I can just update by dropping in the new InScripted files when they're available, yes? Also, is there a way to backup just the emuNAND partition? I usually use win32diskimager for a full image but my microSDs are all massive and I don't have the space for them all.

Thanks again! This is great! One and done indeed!

THIS IS A VERY POWERFUL set of tools and scripts. As a Gateway user from Day 1, I highly recommend InScripted.

Last edited by chango,

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the very detailed response. I appreciate all of your help. I went through with the installer and got to the point where it asked if I wanted to change the RTC. I thought it was probably better not to, but I did anyways. The last message I saw was a hint that RTC in home menu needs to be manually set. Then when I boot my 3ds, it boots into a Luma exception error. That terrified me until I booted Luma Legacy and removed menuhax by changing a theme.

The ticket sync option is great, I've never heard of that before. I've decided its a great idea to link my emuNAND to sysNAND - Once its copied over, Luma will auto-boot my sysNAND that has everything from my emuNAND copied over and I can update sysNAND, correct? It copied the emuNAND to sysNAND just fine ;) Everythings booting right now...

So for now its auto-booting to Luma, correct? I think the biggest question I have now is what is linked to each button by default. I didn't see anything in the documentation as far as user manual ;) I was super confused until I found R+X starts GodMode9 - can you help me figure out what the default key-binding settings are?

So far I have seen:

Select at power up boots to Luma config
Start at power up boots to Puma config

Hitting start to exit either of those configs boots... whatever CFW I just config'd at startup, yeah?

Holding L at power up boots... emuNAND? Under which CFW?

Holding R at power up starts GodMode9 and loads all the .firms present, but ultimately, the screen goes black and it boots a CFW - what is it booting to here?

What's the boot to Gateway default key bind?

I suppose none of it matters as I could just set Always Boot CBM9 and hold down at boot and get a menu so I don't have to memorize all the new hotkeys available to me ;)

One further question, the Stealth Mode script only uses ReiNAND? What exactly does this accomplish for hiding CFW? Is this the only way to use CFW online without a ban, or does this just hide the text that reads out the CFW version in System Options?

Is your next version of InScripted nearly ready? I've waited this long, and I really like the Options mapped to R you described, another few days won't kill me, but I have 4 other various 3DS units to configure and I'm excited to try out your scripts in combination with the NTRBootHax card I've been using. Then again I can just update by dropping in the new InScripted files when they're available, yes? Also, is there a way to backup just the emuNAND partition? I usually use win32diskimager for a full image but my microSDs are all massive and I don't have the space for them all.

Thanks again! This is great! One and done indeed!

THIS IS A VERY POWERFUL set of tools and scripts. As a Gateway user from Day 1, I highly recommend InScripted.

Gateway is on "B" by default. I list the defaults in the "ReadMe.txt" file for the configurations themselves. There are two differences with the GM9 layout over the B9S one since R+X brings up GM9. You already found one -- Puma is on the "start" button. The other one is that Cakes Launcher is on "left" (I would have just directly replaced GM9 with Puma, but then it would always try to load EmuNAND 4 if set to automatically boot EmuNAND). The "L" and "select" buttons are deliberately not mapped so that you can get to Luma's configuration menu and boot it to EmuNAND. "R" is actually a standalone script runner I call "Defaults" that restores the default hotkeys. I put it there as a safety measure in case you forgot to hotkey something important like GM9, to avoid the risk of a bad or poorly-thought-out configuration forcing a trip to the PC (this was more important before GM9 became a full-fledged FIRM replacement). Though you could also use it to update the payloads in the "bootgm9select" folder if the updates are placed in the "b9s/payloads" folder. Thanks to branching, a "Settings" app can do everything in one now, so, that will replace it.

For just backing up EmuNAND, there are two PC tools I'm aware of that can do it. EmuNAND Tool and 3DS Multi EmuNAND Creator. I include the latter in my "Other Crap" folder just in case you wanted to set up a second EmuNAND running 9.2 for Homebrew, setup NANDs from different regions, access the eShop on an unlinked NAND, etc (most CFWs support up to 4, so I included a way to create them for those who want to). The included 1.71 debug version should work just fine. It will be overly verbose, being intended for debug purposes, but the author mysteriously disappeared before finalizing the fixes it contains. Of course, if you have space on the card, d0k3's original "Backup EmuNAND" script in the "NAND Backup & Restore" section works well (I've made no changes to it, just placed it in a folder, no need to fix what isn't broken, after all).

The Stealth Mode has nothing to do with avoiding online bans. It is just to make it not obvious you're using CFW. I saw something on Reddit where people that go to official Pokémon tournaments were using custom builds of Luma to hide the configuration menu. So, I decided to provide my own implementation of that trick for those who might find it useful, but Rei-Six just seemed like a better candidate for the job. A judge inspecting the device could theoretically stumble upon your Rosalina combo, after all, even if it's not the default. With Rei-Six there's nothing for them to find.

I plan to have R10 out this week. Though you will be able to install the new configurations over R9. Just copy the clean-up batch file to the card and run it to delete the files from R9, and copy the new configuration over.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-