Hacking [Tutorial] Setting up Reinand CFW from scratch

itsthenavy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try reinstalling the the ROP for reinand, if that doesn't fix it, drag and drop all of Reinands files back onto the internal mSD.
Unfortunately that doesn't work. It still just crashes and reboots. I get a beige screen before it does, then the system throws the error message, I press A and reboot.

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately that doesn't work. It still just crashes and reboots. I get a beige screen before it does, then the system throws the error message, I press A and reboot.

Are you able to launch Reinand from the Homebrew Menu?

If you are, you can try using a newer version of FBI to install the ROP: https://github.com/Steveice10/FBI/releases

itsthenavy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You want to install Reinands ROP from Sysnand, so: Cubic Ninja > Ninjhax > FBI > Reinand ROP
Getting the same results with FBI v1.4.11. Same beige screen and crash when starting the DS profile exploit. Am I missing something sort of button combination? I don't think I missed a step.

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

itsthenavy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

iceedge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

Sorry in advance for being a total noob. I haven't done any hacking since my Wii 5 years ago.

I've got a New 3ds XL with system version 9.0.0-20U. I followed your tutorial and I just finished step 4. I'm not sure I understand the benefits to doing step 5. Do I need to do this? Are there any downsides to doing this?

Also, I was using the files in your Scratch to Reinand download. You mentioned that Reinand was updated on Reisyukaku's pastebin and I think I found it (the one updated on Aug 21). Do I just copy everything in his update to my microSD root?

Lastly, I'm still a little lost with how everything works after everything is said and done. I think I understand that I need to run backups by installing the .cia - do I do that through ReiNand/FBI/devmenu? When I turn off my 3DS, does it boot to SysNAND or EmuNAND? Do I/should I update my EmuNAND to the latest firmware? If so, how do I do that safely?

I appreciate the help and thanks for the tutorial.

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

Sorry in advance for being a total noob. I haven't done any hacking since my Wii 5 years ago.

I've got a New 3ds XL with system version 9.0.0-20U. I followed your tutorial and I just finished step 4. I'm not sure I understand the benefits to doing step 5. Do I need to do this? Are there any downsides to doing this?

Also, I was using the files in your Scratch to Reinand download. You mentioned that Reinand was updated on Reisyukaku's pastebin and I think I found it (the one updated on Aug 21). Do I just copy everything in his update to my microSD root?

Lastly, I'm still a little lost with how everything works after everything is said and done. I think I understand that I need to run backups by installing the .cia - do I do that through ReiNand/FBI/devmenu? When I turn off my 3DS, does it boot to SysNAND or EmuNAND? Do I/should I update my EmuNAND to the latest firmware? If so, how do I do that safely?

I appreciate the help and thanks for the tutorial.

Benefits of unlinking the nands are that you'll no longer have to unwrap installed games / apps (cias) each time you boot into emunand & if you go into the Data Management from the emunand, all installed dlc / updates (that were installed via cia) won't be wiped.

You can either drag and drop replacing everything, or you can remove all of the files used by Reiand, then drop the new files in their place.

You'll install games in cia format using a title manager such as Devmenu or BigBlueMenu.
When you reboot, you'll be in Sysnand, there's no coldboot > Emunand for the 3DS
That's up to you, N3DS users can update to 9.5.0-23. If you look on the pastebin, there's a link on how to do this.

itsthenavy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought I'd come back and better describe some of my efforts to troubleshoot the problem. The color, is not, in fact, beige. It's gray, but I don't know why I thought otherwise. I still have the time and date on top. Some research suggests that this means the exploit is unable to load the launcher.dat file. Perhaps the one I have is corrupt? I don't know if there's a SHA1 or MD5 hash for it for me to verify.

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought I'd come back and better describe some of my efforts to troubleshoot the problem. The color, is not, in fact, beige. It's gray, but I don't know why I thought otherwise. I still have the time and date on top. Some research suggests that this means the exploit is unable to load the launcher.dat file. Perhaps the one I have is corrupt? I don't know if there's a SHA1 or MD5 hash for it for me to verify.

reiNand.dat MD5: 7ad67b014d6576614315a03d6c10f239

I'm pretty sure I don't have the rar that's uploaded to mega anymore, but you can check this md5 against it: 0172a9728365962f42290e9331e5c421

iceedge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Benefits of unlinking the nands are that you'll no longer have to unwrap installed games / apps (cias) each time you boot into emunand & if you go into the Data Management from the emunand, all installed dlc / updates (that were installed via cia) won't be wiped.

You can either drag and drop replacing everything, or you can remove all of the files used by Reiand, then drop the new files in their place.

You'll install games in cia format using a title manager such as Devmenu or BigBlueMenu.
When you reboot, you'll be in Sysnand, there's no coldboot > Emunand for the 3DS
That's up to you, N3DS users can update to 9.5.0-23. If you look on the pastebin, there's a link on how to do this.

Thank you for the explanations. What's the fastest way to boot emunand from a cold boot?

itsthenavy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, reiNand.dat's MD5 matched, but not the rar. Probably because it's a different rar than before. I'm starting to become quite stumped by this. I'm going to run through the steps after installing mset_jap.cia one more time to see if I missed something obvious.

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the explanations. What's the fastest way to boot emunand from a cold boot?

Installing the profile exploit: Boot > System Settings > Profile launch

Well, reiNand.dat's MD5 matched, but not the rar. Probably because it's a different rar than before. I'm starting to become quite stumped by this. I'm going to run through the steps after installing mset_jap.cia one more time to see if I missed something obvious.

Yeah i'm fairly certain the rar is older than the upload.

itsthenavy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Installing the profile exploit: Boot > System Settings > Profile launch

Yeah i'm fairly certain the rar is older than the upload.
In FBI, does the ROP installer automatically set a target? Should it just be to SD? I do CN > Pasta > CN > FBI > [Select] > Left to ReiNand ROP > [A] twice to confirm > Success > [Start] to continue > [ B] to exit ROP install > [Start] to go back to Homebrew Launcher > Hold power to reboot > System Setting > Other Settings > DS Profile > Crash to home from gray screen and reboot

I can't for the life of me tell what's wrong.

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In FBI, does the ROP installer automatically set a target? Should it just be to SD? I do CN > Pasta > CN > FBI > [Select] > Left to ReiNand ROP > [A] twice to confirm > Success > [Start] to continue > [ B] to exit ROP install > [Start] to go back to Homebrew Launcher > Hold power to reboot > System Setting > Other Settings > DS Profile > Crash to home from gray screen and reboot

I can't for the life of me tell what's wrong.

All you need to do is boot FBI & install the ROP.

You don't need to go through pasta > Ninjhax, you can go straight to Ninjhax > FBI. Using pasta doesn't make a difference though.

If you're certain that you have all of the files for Reinand on your SD, then i'm not sure either.

iceedge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just did step 5 to unlink my SysNAND from EmuNAND and now my NDS profile exploit isn't working. Also, in System Settings > Data Management, I no longer have Sd card management as an option. Did I do something wrong?

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just did step 5 to unlink my SysNAND from EmuNAND and now my NDS profile exploit isn't working. Also, in System Settings > Data Management, I no longer have Sd card management as an option. Did I do something wrong?

Reinstall the ROP using FBI or NDS flashcart

That's a result of installing the 4.5 Mset (For the profile exploit)

iceedge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, is it safe to copy the new Reinand files onto my microSD using microSD Management while running Reinand? I don't have a microSD to SD adapter until my new microSD card comes in next week.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye tempBOT: @ The Real Jdbye farts behind the fan +1