ROM Hack Metroid: Other M Redux (Based on Maxximum Edition)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
2 questions
is this still in development or has development ceased and/or finished completely
and why are the cutscenes vertically stretched
Progress is still going, at the moment me and another user are trying to rework the in-game Power Suit model to properly use the unused cutscene one meshes. We managed to do it for the cutscene model, now only the gameplay model remains.

As for the cutscenes, I'm not sure what you mean exactly with vertically stretched, since I used the same resolution and settings format as the original videos use

Reactions: Felold and raxadian

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I found out that subtitles from the message_all.dat file for other languages had issues.
I did some debugging and found out that each of the main languages HAVE to begin at a specific Hex address in order to load properly, so it seems like the game has a hardcode on where each of the language data begins based on an Hex address.

This could potentially be helpful to find out the subtitle syncing code and where it could be located in the game.

Reactions: raxadian

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for your help, attempting to make my own iso results in black screen in dolphin. can i unpack and pack it within dolphin filesystem, or do i need to use wii backup fusion? thanks.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
thanks for your help, attempting to make my own iso results in black screen in dolphin. can i unpack and pack it within dolphin filesystem, or do i need to use wii backup fusion? thanks.
You can do it with Dolphin as well, in fact using Dolphin is way easier and better for this case.
I should probably rewrite the tutorial to include a Dolphin section for creating the ISO.

Are you using a v1.0 ISO of Other M?

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can do it with Dolphin as well, in fact using Dolphin is way easier and better for this case.
I should probably rewrite the tutorial to include a Dolphin section for creating the ISO.

Are you using a v1.0 ISO of Other M?

using rev 1 of the iso, not the very first release which may be considered rev 0. also, dolphin reports the disc as being about 8.02gb, does that break the image somehow?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
using rev 1 of the iso, not the very first release which may be considered rev 0. also, dolphin reports the disc as being about 8.02gb, does that break the image somehow?
Not at all, try doing a whole disc file dump, and then overwrite the files, and recreate the ISO. That should work.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey, thanks again, after starting from scratch using the rev 1, I was able to get it to start. Have you tried Wii U injection with this?
Sadly no, haven't tried on WiiU, you're talking about Wii VC right? It should work as long as you use the modified ISO and verified it boots on Wii or vWii prior to making the WiiU Injection.

Akario_

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Is it possible to play the game in Japanese with the new subs or is that something yet to come?
I imagine I need the Japanese version unless it's somehow implemented on the US version.

I love it either way this has actually gotten me to replay Other M and this time in a way more digestible form bringing the game form a low 4 or 5/10 to a high 7/10 or low 8/10.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Is it possible to play the game in Japanese with the new subs or is that something yet to come?
I imagine I need the Japanese version unless it's somehow implemented on the US version.

I love it either way this has actually gotten me to replay Other M and this time in a way more digestible form bringing the game form a low 4 or 5/10 to a high 7/10 or low 8/10.

The entirety of the Japanese version is found within the US one, the check is done whether it detects a Japanese or a US Wii, that's what makes the change.

As for the request, sadly that's not really feasible for this particular project, as it would require way too much work that's out of scope for it.
I redid/recut some of the cutscenes, and doing a Japanese dub with English subtitles would mean redoing all of the cutscenes from this hack, and ALL the others in the game, so they have their Japanese audio instead of the English one.

However, there's one thing you could do to kind of resemble something like Other M Redux with Japanese dub.
@ScaryHobbit has already done work on doing a Japanese mod for English Other M, here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/metroid-other-m-true-japanese-mod-english-fan-translation.625069/

What you could do is try to put the two projects together to have some sort of "Redux+Japanese" mod, but it'd come with some caveats, and you'd need to modify the Redux XML file so it reads the Japanese Mod files for both audio and cutscenes.
First, let's get you started on the steps to attempt this:
  • Grab both "Other M Redux" files and "True Japanese Mod" files from the corresponding download links.
  • Extract the "Other M Redux" files first.
  • Delete the following from the "Other M Redux" folder:
    • "message" folder
    • "sound" folder
    • "movies.zip" file
  • Now, extract the contents of the "True Japanese Mod"
  • Put all of the contents from the "True Japanese mod" into the "Other M Redux" folder, there should be three folders inside the "True Japanese Mod", these being "movies", "sound" and "message". Make sure you copy those properly into the Other M Redux folder.
Now comes the hard part, editing the XML, as I'm not sure what the structure of the True Japanese Mod is, but I think the XML I attached should suffice so the Japanese stuff loads up fine alongside Redux.

Let me know if it worked properly.

PS: The caveats from this, or the downsides of it, is that all of the redone cutscene from Redux won't be available. The recut and redited scenes for Ridley's encounter as well as Sector Zero will be those from the original game, but with the Japanese dub. There's also a lot of other audio editing I made which won't be available by doing this, as well as some pacing issues from the original game that got reworked and some key points (like Samus' Power Suit recovering over time instead of Adam giving her permission) will also be missing, so take that into consideration.

Attachments

• [Riivolution] Other M Japanese Redux.zip
    593 bytes · Views: 9
Reactions: Akario_

Akario_

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
It worked great so far. Only some cutscenes are like blury (double image like) I don't know how to get the gecko codes to work they keep disappearing after I add em, I also don't know how to get that gct file to work.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It worked great so far. Only some cutscenes are like blury (double image like) I don't know how to get the gecko codes to work they keep disappearing after I add em, I also don't know how to get that gct file to work.
You don't need the Gecko codes nor the GCT file if you're already playing Redux. The patch with all the Gecko codes is already implemented, so no need to screw with Gecko stuff and such.

Reactions: Akario_

ahmedal_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Can confirm the mod is also works on the Japanese ROM, though the reedited cutscenes looks a bit blurry compared to the original.

Last edited by ahmedal_,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto