Hacking [Tutorial] Setting up Reinand CFW from scratch

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, so any time I want to install, say, a .CIA file to my emuNAND I have to be on sysNAND and run it through the Ninjhax exploit with FBI, right?

No, in Emunand you'll use Devmenu or BigBlueMenu (BBM is included in the 9.5 pack on the pastebin) to install your cias.

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dumb question then, but how would I install BBM or DevMenu on emuNAND? I want to make sure I have actual instructions instead of guesswork on my part.

You created your Emunand, when you create the Emunand your nands are linked. Anything you install on the Sysnand will be on the Emunand. So when you installed Devmenu, it was 'installed' on your Emunand as well.

If you were to unlink your Nands, the Sysnand would be wiped & it would create a new ID for itself. The Emunand would persist with the old ID along with everything you installed on Sysnand.

Since you'll have Devmenu in Emunand, you can use that Title manager to install other Cias; including other title managers like BigBlueMenu.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You created your Emunand, when you create the Emunand your nands are linked. Anything you install on the Sysnand will be on the Emunand. So when you installed Devmenu, it was 'installed' on your Emunand as well.

If you were to unlink your Nands, the Sysnand would be wiped & it would create a new ID for itself. The Emunand would persist with the old ID along with everything you installed on Sysnand.

Since you'll have Devmenu in Emunand, you can use that Title manager to install other Cias; including other title managers like BigBlueMenu.
I'm looking at my emuNAND now and I don't see DevMenu.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have Devmenu on your Sysnand > Reformat Emunand
If you don't have Devmenu at all Install to Sysnand > Reformat Emunand
I unlinked the two NANDs, so I don't have DevMenu installed on sysNAND. What will happen if I reformat my emuNAND? Will I need to reinstall exploits? Actually, couldn't I just install BBM/DevMenu via Ninjhax on emuNAND?

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I unlinked the two NANDs, so I don't have DevMenu installed on sysNAND. What will happen if I reformat my emuNAND? Will I need to reinstall exploits? Actually, couldn't I just install BBM/DevMenu via Ninjhax on emuNAND?

Your emunand will have the downgraded settings (Which will be removed if you update the firmware to 9.5.0-23).
You'll need to reinstall the ROP to Sysnand if you unlink the nands afterwards.
Fairly sure Ninjhax 1.1 won't launch from emunand due to firmlaunch, you're welcome to try though.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your emunand will have the downgraded settings (Which will be removed if you update the firmware to 9.5.0-23).
You'll need to reinstall the ROP to Sysnand if you unlink the nands afterwards.
Fairly sure Ninjhax 1.1 won't launch from emunand due to firmlaunch, you're welcome to try though.
I already have the ROP installed to sysNAND and it's unlinked from the emuNAND, and I haven't updated either one yet. But it looks FBI has insufficient privileges to run without Pasta on reiNAND, and Pasta causes a system error/crash when it loads on emuNAND. So now I essentially have to reinstall DevMenu on sysNAND, then reformat my enuNAND and unlink them again, right?

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already have the ROP installed to sysNAND and it's unlinked from the emuNAND, and I haven't updated either one yet. But it looks FBI has insufficient privileges to run without Pasta on reiNAND, and Pasta causes a system error/crash when it loads on emuNAND. So now I essentially have to reinstall DevMenu on sysNAND, then reformat my enuNAND and unlink them again, right?

That's what I said in the last two posts, yes. :|

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, wanted to make sure. What tool would you suggest for reformatting my emuNAND?

I'd use Gateways Menu to reformat the Emunand.

Pastas menu has a format emunand option as well. Should work exactly the same, you're welcome to use whichever you prefer.
Confirm you have Devmenu on your Emunand before unlinking the nands.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I did post on here wrongly before, but I may as well recycle the post. I can't for the life of me get DevMenu to show up at ALL in emuNAND. Just to be clear, the EXACT process for installing it and getting it into emulated NAND is to boot Cubic Ninja, run Ninjhax exploit v1.1b, Hold [L] and run Pasta and select "Give me some Pasta", then boot back into Cubic Ninja and run FBI through Ninjhax, then install DevMenu.cia to the system's mSD card, go back to the Home Menu, confirm DevMenu is installed by unwrapping it, boot back into CN, rerun Pasta, then go back into CN once more and have Pasta format the emuNAND. Is this correct?

Last edited by Arecaidian Fox,

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I did post on here wrongly before, but I may as well recycle the post. I can't for the life of me get DevMenu to show up at ALL in emuNAND. Just to be clear, the EXACT process for installing it and getting it into emulated NAND is to boot Cubic Ninja, run Ninjhax exploit v1.1b, Hold [L] and run Pasta and select "Give me some Pasta", then boot back into Cubic Ninja and run FBI through Ninjhax, then install DevMenu.cia to the system's mSD card, go back to the Home Menu, confirm DevMenu is installed by unwrapping it, boot back into CN, rerun Pasta, then go back into CN once more and have Pasta format the emuNAND. Is this correct?

If that didn't work for you, try making the emunand then installing devmenu.
I'd just take the extra step and use Gateways menu for the Reformat of the Emunand.

joex11

Trophies
XP
Country
San Marino
usernametaken sensei, would you know if there is any other method to upgrade an old 3ds (2.2u) to 4.x to 9.2 that isn't game cartdrige update?

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
usernametaken sensei, would you know if there is any other method to upgrade an old 3ds (2.2u) to 4.x to 9.2 that isn't game cartdrige update?

I don't have an O3DS & haven't looked too much into them.
As far as i'm aware, your only option is a cartridge update to 4.5 (Fairly sure you want to stay on 4.5 for the profile exploit)

joex11

Trophies
XP
Country
San Marino
I don't have an O3DS & haven't looked too much into them.
As far as i'm aware, your only option is a cartridge update to 4.5 (Fairly sure you want to stay on 4.5 for the profile exploit)
Oh yeah, forgot about the ds profile exploit. But reinand only has rop to launch n3ds right? so that would only work to use gateway

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16