[TUTORIAL] [Noob-Friendly] NAND Dumping 2DS/3DS/3DS XL/N3DS/N3DS XL!

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by TheToaster, Feb 10, 2016.

1. noX1609

noX1609 B9S freak ;)

Aug 30, 2016
    Germany
    FrankenUSB? Do you mean soldering a MicroUsb port to the Console and an SD Adapter to a MicroUSB Cable? Or is this a new method?

2. TheToaster
    OP

TheToaster Warrior of the Toast

Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    USA
    By frankenUSB, I mean directly using a microSD-to-USB adapter instead of a microSD-to-SD adapter.

I haven't actually tried doing something like that (and I dont really know if it is possible) but I think the same principle applies (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Last edited by TheToaster, Jan 14, 2017
  3. natkoden

natkoden Not a New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    Quick question:

I have soldered all the cables to the 3DS mainboard and the SD card apdater, the console turns on and gives me the error it should:

00000000 00000000
    00000400 00000000

sometimes:

00000000 00000000
    00000200 00000000

I have an Anker USB reader like the guide mentions, brand new, and it works ok with others SD cards, but it doesnt read the 3DS nand.

What could it be? Soldering on the board, the adapter?

4. noX1609

noX1609 B9S freak ;)

Aug 30, 2016
    Germany
    It could be both.

But at firsti think its the solder points. Check them with a Multimeter so you can see if there is a connection. Also make a detailed foto of your solder points and post them here, maybe finding a mistake this was is much easier if there is a solder error.

5. Gray_Jack

Gray_Jack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    There is anyone that have a hardmoded New 3DS that are willing to try a implementation of A9LH that can load elf files?

Thanks in advance!

6. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    I'd be willing to try. What would I have to do?

7. TBSaw

TBSaw Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2017
    United States
    Hi, how to use NANDmin.bin (a backup from step 3 of 2.1.0 ctrtransfer of https://3ds.guide/2.1.0-ctrtransfer) to recover a new 3ds via hard mode? I have checked the tutorial about hardmode, but I am not sure if i can use win32diskimager to write NANDmin.bin to the new 3ds directly by changing the suffix of this file to NANDmin.img. Thanks!

8. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    Yeah, that would work.

9. TBSaw

TBSaw Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2017
    United States
    Ok, Thanks!

10. nexxusty

nexxusty Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2009
    Canada
    Easy as pie. Thanks for this tutorial.

Up and running on 4.5 again after a 2.1 to 11+ upgrade.

Much appreciated!!

Aeronic likes this.
  11. xxturtlederpxx

xxturtlederpxx Member

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2017
    United States
    could i use earbud wires?

12. TheToaster
    OP

Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    USA
    Yeah.
    You don't need the connectors if you don't intend to make the mod permanent.

Last edited by TheToaster, Mar 5, 2017
  13. Animesibble

Animesibble Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2017
    United States
    Ok, so here's my deal. I some how bricked my 3ds (not sure at what stage it happened be cause it was working when I finished and then stayed on a black screen with the blue power light on when I woke the next morning.) I have attempted booting into recovery mode and soft bricked fixes, none of which worked. I have already completed this hard mod all the way up to connecting it to the computer. However, it will not turn on. if I disconnect the Frankin SD card from the 3ds then it will boot with this code:

BOOTROM 8046
    ERRCODE: 00F800FE
    00000000 00000000
    00000200 00000000

As soon as I connect the Frankin SD again the automatically powers down. Which leads me to believe that the problem is with the Frankin SD, however, I have checked, double checked and triple checked my soldering and it all looks good. I would upload pictures however I have no way to do so at this moment.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thank you.

Also, when I first completed the hard mod it did stay on when I connected the Frankin SD. I shut it off to read on to make sure I knew how to do the nand dumping properly. After that it started causing trouble

Last edited by Animesibble, Feb 5, 2017
  14. xxturtlederpxx

xxturtlederpxx Member

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2017
    United States
    for the 2ds: after i press read a few times do i press write to backup the nand. or is it already done

15. xxturtlederpxx

xxturtlederpxx Member

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2017
    United States
    Is the best sd reader for 2ds the anker 3.0

16. bseMP

bseMP Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2016
    Indonesia
    Is hardmode still valid on 11.3?

17. SoopaSee

SoopaSee Member

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2017
    Hello, so I also hard bricked my n3ds #cl trying to install arm9 and have the two black screens with the power light on. I luckily have a copy of my nand which I made during the process of downgrading and I was wondering if I can use this hardmod method described in this thread to copy my nand backup back onto the nand? Please let me know cuz I actually bricked two of them. Really don't want to waste the $500 or so dollars i spent on the two consoles and all the games and such. Thanks so much for your help.
    And yeah I've also tried all the soft brick and recovery mode options. Didn't actually get to the point of installing arm9. Downgraded to 2.1 but forgot to connect to the internet beforehand and when it came time to access that web address it got all screwed up.

Last edited by SoopaSee, Mar 3, 2017
  18. TheToaster
    OP

Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    USA
    Yes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

19. Aeronic

Aeronic Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    Canada
    Thank you for the awesome guide. I'd never done soldering before in my life but after some training and practicing (and info from vids linked here) on some junk boards I had lying around I was able to successfully hardwire my O3DS XL and do a nand backup. Then went on to doing arm9loaderhax and now am enjoying a fully user controlled system.

Some advice I learned from my attempts though: Be careful when removing the hardmod. the ground wire was soldered very well to the existing solder blob and was difficult to detach. I ended up splashing a thin sheet of solder on a nearby IC which then took a lot of delicate reheating and suction gunning to remove.

TheToaster likes this.
  20. Blakiemon

Blakiemon Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2017
    United States
    Will this work with an already hard bricked 2ds? (I installed a bad CIA.) :'(