Hardware N3DS XL stuck inner screws

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
My A button has been becoming insensitive so I bought a replacement sticker with the metal connectors. Opening up the console now, after the back plate was removed it's time to remove the 8 screws holding the back cover. Every single one of them is stuck. A weird kind of stuck. They sometimes rotate very little in the direction and then stop dead. My hands are red from attempting to unscrew them. All of them are like this. I made sure the screwdriver rotation direction is correct. Left to right, just like the back cover was. I put in some WD-40 in the depression and left it for a bit and tried again. They still will not budge. Used several screwdrivers, some with the cross head, some with a regular bar head. Tried pushing in at an angle while rotating, with the head's corner in the center of the screw. Nothing.

At this point the screw heads still hold the shape but a bit of wear is showing. Attempting with more persistence and aggression risks stripping them. Haven't tried glue to the head of the screwdriver yet. I have none and I'm afraid it will get pushed out of the cross by the pressure and potentially leak out to the sides and maybe even under, sealing the screw forever. I'd like to know what kind of places would be deemed appropriate to professionally deal with this kind of matter. I don't want to cause damage.

Years back the screws on an Old 3DS I had were pretty stuck and although the methods used above eventually loosened all but one, that final one refused under any circumstances. This lead to a stripped head, a screw remover, and a damaged shell. The entire ordeal took a long time, as did replacing the damaged case. According to the videos I saw online the N3DS XL looks far less hellish on the inside, but the stuck screws are back to haunt me. My head is swirling with PTSD from the past experience and bitterness as to the difficulty of disassembly. I'm starting to think it's planned obsolescence on Nintendo's part.

• Sad
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
On some units the screws are ridiculously tight. On other units opening is easy.

You have more or less a single try. Insert fitting screwdriver – best a JIS and not normal Philips – give it a light tap from above to fully insert the screwdriver into the screw head, push against the screw while turning… and hope for the best. Either it opens or it strips.
Those screws are made of the worst metal one can think of and almost strip by looking at them. Be prepared to replace the screws.

As for those tips and tricks for stripped screws (rubber band, super glue, commercial extractors and whatnot pops up on any discussion regarding screws): None of them ever worked for me. Could be the case such tricks actually work on large screws (extractors will)… but for those tiny things on consumer electronics I don't see how any of this is supposed to help. The only thing that does work is carefully(!!) drilling off the heads of stripped screws and lifting the plastic cover off afterwards.
The remaining parts of the screws can be removed (unscrewed) with precision pliers.

We have an expert for stuck screws on 2|3DS consoles, @EpikJimmer, who gave up trying to open his consoles because the screws weren't cooperative the least.

EpikJimmer

Screw hater
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
That's me :D

Yeah most of these wacky methods didn't work for me either. Especially the rubber band one; that one is a SCAM idk how the hell people manage to pull it off.

But, you never know till you try. (But don't be a total idiot like me and try the methods 500 times after you find out they don't work xd)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto