Tutorial  Updated

How to fix Online game services on <=10.7 emuNAND

This is mainly for N3DS rxTools users and frequent 9.0-9.2 sysNAND users.

So recently Nintendo decided to pull a maintenance run that effectively stops you from playing online game services like Pokemon ORASXY, Smash and a few others unless you update your system. This tutorial will help you bypass the check and get your online services back, however it will require that you have:
  • A 3DS system with 9.0-9.2 & CFW installed. (Preferably unlinked NANDs.)
    • Alternatively you can use this on 9.3-10.7 & a hax entrypoint using the NASA CIA installer. *WARNING! This method of installation will no longer work on 11.0 and above until a Kernel exploit is found for those updates*
  • A CIA installer (FBI, BBM, ect.)
  • 3DSNUS (Which will be linked here.)
Now, onto the steps:
  1. Optional but recommended: Before any of this you should always back up your NAND. It stands to reason that at some point during exploiting your console that you will have backed it up, but it's best to do so again now so you can restore quickly if something goes awry.
  2. Open up 3DSNUS and input the friends system-module Title ID and Version which is the only one you'll need. (Of which you can find the required one for O3DS here and N3DS here. Select the first link in the "Report" box of your region e.g "E" is USA. "P" is EUR.) Make sure you remove the "v" from the version number and "Pack as .CIA" is checked, then download the file.
  3. Now, take the downloaded .cia from the root of your 3DSNUS folder and drop it into where you keep your .CIAs on your SD card. Or if you're lazy you can just throw it into the root of the SD card, but better neat than messy with these things. :P
  4. Pop your SD card into your 3DS system and boot up your CFW by the method of your choice. Go into the .cia installer of your choosing and locate the .cia. Depending on what installer you use, you'll have to choose the equivalent of system or NAND to install the .cia if it doesn't automatically, as SD Card won't work. For FBI, make sure it's set to NAND for install.
  5. Once that's done, exit out of the .cia installer, reset your 3DS, open up the CFW again and hop into the affected game. Try out the online services and it should work. Congratulations!
  6. Optional: Should your game still not work correctly even after this, it most likely requires the latest NVER (named New3DS NVER in the N3DS) to function. Repeat steps 2-4 but instead download the latest NVER (which can be found in their respective console versions for the above linked system update in step 2.) *If you can't find NVER in the latest firmware list then use this list and check each update before it until you find NVER*
You can do this as well in sysNAND but please be careful as making franken-firmwares on sysNAND could lead to problems down the line (unless you have a NAND hardmod,) and make sure you've got a backup of your NAND before doing this. At any rate I'm fairly confident this will not brick your system, however I am not responsible if it does brick.

Thanks for this tutorial and it's information go to:
  • @Sgt. Lulz for pointing this out.
  • @Sheimi for testing this and confirming it alongside my own results.
  • @Pixel Eater for providing a link to N3DS 10.5 files for N3DS users.
  • @Domukuro Wolfield for reporting that the 10.5 friend system module has been patched.
  • @cvskid for keeping me up to date on the latest firmware since 11.1.

Last edited by Pandaxclone2,

WolfHeroEX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gave this a shot, and FBI threw me a delete error when trying to install the friend module CIA to the NAND.
When I restarted my Emunand to try again, every non-system icon has gone missing, and I can't access any of the modules including the internet browser, friends list and the FBI cia installed over health and safety. Tapping IB or FL freezes the system, and tapping FBI does nothing. My Homebrew Launcher cia is one of the missing icons, so I can't use that either.

Essentially, upon loading into the home menu for my Emunand icons below the top do nothing when tapped and icons on the top freeze the system.

How bad is this? Can I recover from this without resetting the emunand?

Last edited by WolfHeroEX,

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I gave this a shot, and FBI threw me a delete error when trying to install the friend module CIA to the NAND.
When I restarted my Emunand to try again, every non-system icon has gone missing, and I can't access any of the modules including the internet browser, friends list and the FBI cia installed over health and safety. Tapping IB or FL freezes the system, and tapping FBI does nothing. My Homebrew Launcher cia is one of the missing icons, so I can't use that either.

Essentially, upon loading into the home menu for my Emunand icons below the top do nothing when tapped and icons on the top freeze the system.

How bad is this? Can I recover from this without resetting the emunand?
I have the same problem
I tried to update my 3ds with the recovery mode but it says it has a error

D

Deleted User

I know you put a disclaimer, but please, please don't suggest people do this for their sysNANDs. Franken-firmwares on sysNAND are a bad idea.

...but later on there may be problems with how it interacts with updates and other things so be careful and make sure you have a backup of your emu/NAND.

Just how bad of an idea are we talkin' here, for reference? Updates, sure I can see, but what 'other things' can happen besides this? Also, what updates besides the ones we install are going to touch sysNAND?

Reason I'm asking is because I have my original NNID on sysNAND, and a second one on emuNAND. Yet, I don't want to make any purchases through my second NNID. Originally I wanted to keep my sysNAND as vanilla as possible (but I botched that because I installed some GBA VC injects and a patched AGB_FIRM before unlinking), but at the same time, no one wants an expensive brick.

Following up on those questions, are there any benefits/deficits to having an NNID that you use for things on emuNAND? I realize one of my options here is to just migrate my original NNID to emuNAND, but I'd like to avoid the hassle if possible. However, if the risk outweighs the benefits, I have no qualms setting aside time to make things work safely.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
i am still not sure that it is safe or not. did you use nasa or fbi?
NASA. FBI is too unstable on boot. Very low bootrate. On the other hand, NASA 1.0 is almost 100%, and 1.1/1.2 is like 60%.

DB2293

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
3DNUS just finished downloading the cia files but my question: do i have to install every single one of them?

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal

DB2293

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For me to use NASA, i need the HBL but i cant because everytime i try and boot it, it always shows me a red screen.

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
10.6 however did update NVer, so if you are trying to play something that needs to connect through your NNID (Pokemon Shuffle, Badge Arcade) then you have to update that too.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
10.6 however did update NVer, so if you are trying to play something that needs to connect through your NNID (Pokemon Shuffle, Badge Arcade) then you have to update that too.

I'm unsure if those games even require the friend system module anyway, but just in case I've added an optional step to the tutorial in the event that this fix doesn't work for the target game.

dmc310

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just did this on my emunand and when I boot back into into I cannot boot into any app and just stays there

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I just did this on my emunand and when I boot back into into I cannot boot into any app and just stays there
Looks like you have to update it using the Recovery Menu. Hold the buttons L, R, up on the d-pad and the A button and then press the Power button, remember you have to hold them all at the same time to get into the Menu.
Happened to me too, but atleast it plays all my games now, but because the friend Module wasnt updated you cant access the friend list till nintendo updates the Friend Module.
But you will loose your ability to boot into the Homebrew Menu for now until there is a way to boot into the newest Version.

Last edited by Justinde75,

dmc310

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like you have to update it using the Recovery Menu. Hold the buttons L, R, up on the d-pad and the A button and then press the Power button, remember you have to hold them all at the same time to get into the Menu.
Happened to me too, but atleast it plays all my games now, but because the friend Module wasnt updated you cant access the friend list till nintendo updates the Friend Module.
But you will loose your ability to boot into the Homebrew Menu for now until there is a way to boot into the newest Version.
I just ended up restoring to an emunand backup and then just updating my emunands firmware but thank you for the help

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/T78NsMwZOA0