Tutorial  Updated

Booting GW with B9S (and some help)

Important:
This workaround will work if you have a sys/emuNand with <= 11.2.
11.3+ are currently NOT supported by Gateway itself!

Also, I advise against a sysNand-only setup with GW.

For better/clearer instructions please follow the updated Guide by @Temptress Cerise - https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-gateway-on-b9s.431691/

For the GW Uses out there, theres a possibility to boot the Gateway Card without having to wait for an update (that would only be faster..), so here's a workaround:

1. )
Follow the Steps on Using Luma3DS with Gateway on v2 A9LH

2.)
Get the dev Version from BootCTR9 for BS9 and extract the .firm-file to the luma/payloads folder, rename it to bootctr9.firm

3.)
Make Sure the down_v2gw.bin and the gateway.bin are also within the luma/payloads folder

4.)
Change the boot_config.ini from BootCTR9 to boot the down_v2gw.bin , for example as DEFAULT-Entry, to start automatically the GW-loader:

Code:
[DEFAULT]
path = luma/payloads/down_v2gw.bin
delay = 1000

5.)
Start 3DS and go to LUMA-Chainloader (Holding START at boot), choose your bootctr9 -> wait.

6.)
Enjoy GW again ^^.

EDIT:
- Add Disclaimer for 11.3+
- Link to @Temptress Cerise updated Guide with my instructions, but better written xD
- Add B9S 1.2 compatible release-post of BootCtr9 ( June, 6, 2017)

Last edited by nedron92,

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Which one do I choose for a SysNAND Backup?
SDCARD
SYSNAND CTRNAND
SYSNAND TWLN
SYSNAND TWLP
SYSNAND SD
SYSNAND VIRTUAL
RAMDRIVE
GAMECART
MEMORY VIRTUAL
NAND XORPADS
While we're at it what one do I choose for Gateway-style EmuNAND partition? I see nothing that says Gateway anywhere.

I found this on the GodMode9 Usage page

1. Press (Home) to bring up the action menu
  2. Select “More…”
  3. Select “Backup NAND”
  4. Press (A) to continue
  5. Hold (R) and press (B) at the same time to eject your SD card

Correct?
For the NAND backup, that's it. For the EmuNAND, it's:

1. Press (Home) to bring up the action menu
  2. Select “More…”
  3. Select “SD format menu”
  4. Select "SysNAND size (full)"

Reactions: slyboogy27

slyboogy27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will I still be able to boot Nintendo DS flash cartridges like the blue gateway card? Also will I be able to dump .3DS files straight from the Gateway menu like I previously was able to do?
(I haven't done the mod yet but I'm going to do it soon)

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Will I still be able to boot Nintendo DS flash cartridges like the blue gateway card? Also will I be able to dump .3DS files straight from the Gateway menu like I previously was able to do?
(I haven't done the mod yet but I'm going to do it soon)
You'll be able to do much more. Luma 3DS 8.0 allows you to boot flashcarts directly in SysNAND. GodMode9 allows you to dump .3ds, private headers, trimmed .3ds and .cia from any cartridge. You'll never use the Gateway Menu again, most likely.

slyboogy27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"If, before updating to boot9strap, you already had an EmuNAND setup and would like to move the contents of your previous EmuNAND to your new SysNAND CFW, now is the time to follow Move EmuNAND before doing this section."
I'm at this part of the A9LH to B9S guide, do I press on here without doing this step?

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
"If, before updating to boot9strap, you already had an EmuNAND setup and would like to move the contents of your previous EmuNAND to your new SysNAND CFW, now is the time to follow Move EmuNAND before doing this section."
I'm at this part of the A9LH to B9S guide, do I press on here without doing this step?
Exactly. You aren't unifying NANDs, you're doing the exact opposite. The guide is mostly directed at people who had Luma on an EmuNAND with Menuhax or something of the sort.

slyboogy27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just finished the step below, and am left with a "Updater for Luma3DS releases KunoichiZ / Hamcha" Giftwrapped present on my home screen.
What do I do next?

Section V - Installing Luma3DS Updater
  1. Launch FBI
  2. Navigate to SD -> cias
  3. Select lumaupdater.cia
  4. Select the “Install CIA” option, then press (A) to confirm
  5. Press (Home) to exit FBI

Do I open it?
    The guide says "This fork of Luma3DS Updater allows for boot9strap compatibility by downloading and extracting the latest Luma3DS boot.firm for you."
    Will it do all the work for me?

After this comes the moment of truth where I update my SysNAND to 11.4 right? Through normal Power button only boot and system update in system settings? Correct?
    Trying to ask as many questions as I can about things I'm unsure of.
    Also if I update to 11.4 (I know you explained it before) but if I do... my custom firmware will still be on there correct? EmuNAND? (The little "Sys" infront of the firmware will still show up when I boot up? Is that right? Am I getting the terminology all right? Or am I completely wrong? lol

Last edited by slyboogy27,

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I just finished the step below, and am left with a "Updater for Luma3DS releases KunoichiZ / Hamcha" Giftwrapped present on my home screen.
What do I do next?

Section V - Installing Luma3DS Updater
  1. Launch FBI
  2. Navigate to SD -> cias
  3. Select lumaupdater.cia
  4. Select the “Install CIA” option, then press (A) to confirm
  5. Press (Home) to exit FBI

Do I open it?
    The guide says "This fork of Luma3DS Updater allows for boot9strap compatibility by downloading and extracting the latest Luma3DS boot.firm for you."
    Will it do all the work for me?

After this comes the moment of truth where I update my SysNAND to 11.4 right? Through normal Power button only boot and system update in system settings? Correct?
    Trying to ask as many questions as I can about things I'm unsure of.
    Also if I update to 11.4 (I know you explained it before) but if I do... my custom firmware will still be on there correct? EmuNAND? (The little "Sys" infront of the firmware will still show up when I boot up? Is that right? Am I getting the terminology all right? Or am I completely wrong? lol
I'm glad you stopped there. The guide tells you to update now, but we want to clone your SysNAND to a new EmuNAND first, so that you'll have an 11.2 EmuNAND. So do that first with GodMode9. Don't forget to backup everything in your SD card, and restore it immediately after formatting the EmuNAND (before booting up again).

Afterwards, it's safe to update your SysNAND, and yes, you'll be on a full Sys 11.4 Luma3DS CFW.

This leaves the 11.2 EmuNAND, which you'll load with Gateway as per the second tutorial.

slyboogy27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I run the Luma3DS Updater gift wrapped icon? Or leave it alone? THAT'S where I'm at. I didn't know what to do next I knew there might be some instruction on the fork Luma3DS Updater, what do I do with it? That I need to know first.
Could you possibly leave more detailed instructions on the cloning process? (If you can, I don't understand exactly HOW to do everything you mentioned above.)

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Do I run the Luma3DS Updater gift wrapped icon? Or leave it alone? THAT'S where I'm at. I didn't know what to do next I knew there might be some instruction on the fork Luma3DS Updater, what do I do with it? That I need to know first.
Could you possibly leave more detailed instructions on the cloning process? (If you can, I don't understand exactly HOW to do everything you mentioned above.)
You don't need to run Luma updater now, you're already on the most recent release. The cloning process is what I described a few messages ago. Boot GodMode9, press Home, "More...", "SD format", "SysNAND size (full)"

slyboogy27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[ ] Install GodMode9 to work with left d-pad payload shortcut?

[ ] Backup everything on my SD card to PC?
[ ] Boot GodMode9, press Home, "More...", "SD format", "SysNAND size (full)",
so that you'll have an 11.2 EmuNAND. Power off System.
[ ] ***Restore the files IMMEDIATELY after formatting the EmuNAND (BEFORE booting up again).***

[ ] Afterwards, it's safe to update your SysNAND, and I'll be on a full Sys 11.4 Luma3DS CFW

[ ] Second tutorial...I have ready to read off of.

Tell me if everything above is correct?

Correction:

Holding (Start) during boot to launch the Luma3DS chainloader menu
Launch GodMode9 by pressing (A)

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
[ ] Install GodMode9 to work with left d-pad payload shortcut?

[ ] Backup everything on my SD card to PC?
[ ] Boot GodMode9, press Home, "More...", "SD format", "SysNAND size (full)",
so that you'll have an 11.2 EmuNAND. Power off System.
[ ] ***Restore the files IMMEDIATELY after formatting the EmuNAND (BEFORE booting up again).***

[ ] Afterwards, it's safe to update your SysNAND, and I'll be on a full Sys 11.4 Luma3DS CFW

[ ] Second tutorial...I have ready to read off of.

Tell me if everything above is correct?

Correction:

Holding (Start) during boot to launch the Luma3DS chainloader menu
Launch GodMode9 by pressing (A)
Correct, with or without setting a shortcut for GodMode9. Just get into it in whatever way is most convenient.

slyboogy27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I completed that step precisely had no issues, my question now is I'm in the System Settings currently and the "Sys" is there before the 11.2.0-35U is it time to wish for the best and click that system update button?

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So I completed that step precisely had no issues, my question now is I'm in the System Settings currently and the "Sys" is there before the 11.2.0-35U is it time to wish for the best and click that system update button?
Yes. No need to wish for anything, it's perfectly safe. Just a note: you don't have to do it now, you can do it whenever you want. I just included it in the steps so that you'll have the most up-to-date version of everything.

slyboogy27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow it didn't even need the internet to update the system to the new firmware. Awesome. I'm gonna disable the internet I don't use it for anything, I play my games offline (always) Okay onward to the Gateway installation (this part confuses me) give me a minute or two while I compose my question about the directions.

slyboogy27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit:
- GW EmuNAND users will automatically boot into their GW EmuNAND.
Do I even need the boot_config.ini file on my SDcard?

This step:
Open the "boot_config.ini" file and overwrite everything with the following:

Do I include the "Code:" text inside the document? Yes or no?

Code:
[BOOTCTR9]
key_delay = 1000

[DEFAULT]
path = /luma/payloads/v2gw.bin

Last step! Come on! We can do this! lol

Are they serious take all this out? And replace it with such little code?:

;Comments starts with ";" or "#", so you need to remove it first to the
;line actually do something.

;configuration with ascii boot Image
;You have also 1 sec to press the button for the payload you want to boot
[BOOTCTR9]
key_delay = 1000
boot_splash = 3
enableAutosoftboot = 1
enableArm9CompanionBoot = 1

;Section to allow a9lh net companion payload auto booting
[COMPANION]
path = /a9nc.bin
delay = 100
offset = 0
payload = -1

;luma with BootAnimation and enabled Pathfix
[DEFAULT]
path = /Payloads/luma.firm
delay = 1000
splash = 4
splash_image = /Animations/anim
screenBrightness = 0x30

;cakes.dat with splash screen and offset
[KEY_R]
path = /Cakes.dat
delay = 1000
offset = 0x12000
splash = 3
splash_image = /Splashes/splash.bin

;Reinand.dat with offset and ascii splash
[KEY_DUP]
path = /ReiNand.dat
delay = 1000
offset = 0x12000
splash = 1

;Each key can be defined using a section, like the example below. Section
;names must be ALL caps, and between "[]". Valid keys:
;You MUST set at least "path" for each section, and it is the ONLY option you
;should set in the majority of cases.
;Double check the path, since it must be correct (including caps).
;Boot examples for almost every CFW out there.
;You can use only binary (.bin, .dat) payloads
;[KEY_A]
;path = /rxTools/sys/code.bin
;[KEY_B]
;path = /Cakes.dat
;[KEY_Y]
;path = /ReiNand.dat
;An important remark: the majority of CFWs set L button to show menu instead
;of autobooting. So it is generally a bad idea to set L button to CFW boot,
;but if you use a delay, you have time to release the key so the CFW menu will
;not be shown.

Edit:
- GW EmuNAND users will automatically boot into their GW EmuNAND.
Do I even need the boot_config.ini file on my SDcard?

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Let's make it easier:
1 - get the Gateway launcher.dat on your SD card root if you don't have it
2 - get BootCTR9.firm (renamed to whatever key you want to use - down_BootCTR9.firm in my case), v2gw.bin and gateway.bin (the original Gateway arm9loaderhax.bin, but renamed) in Luma/Payloads.
3 - use my boot_config.ini:

[BOOTCTR9]
key_delay = 0
boot_splash = 0
enableAutosoftboot = 0
enableArm9CompanionBoot = 0

[DEFAULT]
path = /luma/payloads/v2gw.bin
delay = 0

Last edited by Shady Guy Jose,

slyboogy27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's all good. There's one last thing, how do I backup a .3DS file off a 3DS cartridge with GodMode9? I can easily go back to the Gateway menu and do it that way but I figured I'd ask just for kicks. I like how easy the Gateway menu is.
Thank you so much for guiding me!

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's all good. There's one last thing, how do I backup a .3DS file off a 3DS cartridge with GodMode9? I can easily go back to the Gateway menu and do it that way but I figured I'd ask just for kicks. I like how easy the Gateway menu is.
Thank you so much for guiding me!
I hope everything is working fine. To backup a file, just boot up GodMode9 and select "Camecard". You'll have a bin file (the private header), a 3ds file, and a trimmed 3DS file. Choose your preferred one, press A for options, and one will be "Copy to SD:/gm9out". You can also build a CIA, or decrypt the file for Citra

slyboogy27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything's working great, 3DS games booting up just fine as well as the DS games on the Blue Gateway card. I had another question don't know if you can help as it pertains to the DS menu...It's a little hard to read the font or text color is the same as the background, was wondering if you had a fix? I know it has something to do with the files on the microSD that boot the menu and let you choose the DS games...any help would be greatly appreciated. Take your time getting back to me, and thanks for explaining GodMode9 .3DS ripping.

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Everything's working great, 3DS games booting up just fine as well as the DS games on the Blue Gateway card. I had another question don't know if you can help as it pertains to the DS menu...It's a little hard to read the font or text color is the same as the background, was wondering if you had a fix? I know it has something to do with the files on the microSD that boot the menu and let you choose the DS games...any help would be greatly appreciated. Take your time getting back to me, and thanks for explaining GodMode9 .3DS ripping.
The only thing I can recommend there is trying a different version of the Wood R4 kernel or messing with the settings

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Oh oh oh ahhh - goodnight