3DS won’t boot at all

rcpd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone. I’ve recently gotten a 3DS fairly cheap because it’s “broken”. I watched the 3DS scene mature from ninjhax to B9S and have hacked many many 3DS consoles. But I’ve never seen this and searching only gets me “update the Luma3DS boot.firm file”, which I’ve done and it doesn’t help.

This is what the 3DS boots to. Every single time. SD card in, out, doesn’t matter. It always boots this:

“An error has occurred
Unsupported launcher (argc = 0).
Press any key to power off.”

I had a sneaking suspicion that the 3DS was hacked at one point and I wanted to test the SD card that came with it. It mounted on my PC and sure enough, there’s a Luma3DS boot.firm file at the root. There’s also a boot9installer folder with the appropriate files for it. And a GodMode9 file in the Luma/payloads folder.

Holding the usual payloads buttons gets me nowhere. Same boot up screen. I backed up the SD card and ran h2testw on the card. It passed. I decided I’d start over from scratch with a new SD card anyway, just to be safe. All new files on the SD card taken from the usual guide. I replaced everything, including the safeb9sinstaller files, hoping I would be able to update B9S at least.

And as it turns out, that’s all I could do. I was able to replace the boot.firm with the safeb9sinstaller firmware file and boot it. Included is a photo of that. I was even able to install B9S just fine. Also included is a photo of that. I held power to power off and replace the B9S installer firm file with Luma’s. Next boot: An error has occurred.

To sum things up: B9S exploited 3DS will not boot from SD card or eMMC but will boot B9S installer from SD card. Will not boot any other payload in the Luma3DS payloads folder. Attempting to boot anything other than the B9S installer always boots “An error has occurred”.

What the heck is going on? Included is a photo of the error for posterity.
Post automatically merged:

I can only come to the conclusion that the SD card reader in the 3DS is faulty. Sometimes I can boot the B9S installer firm, but often I cannot even boot to that.

Edit: I disassembled the 3DS. Gross. Very gross. I’m in the process of cleaning everything with a hefty amount of isopropyl alcohol. This thing definitely had something sugary spilled on it. I don’t think it was on when it happened but I’m hoping giving it power didn’t fry it.

Attachments

• IMG_3788.jpeg
    IMG_3788.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3789.jpeg
    IMG_3789.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3790.png
    IMG_3790.png
    7.4 MB · Views: 61
Last edited by rcpd,

GUEDES_et_al

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The screenshots show that at first the console is working fine.

I would try to update boot9strap (using the files from latest version 1.4 on the boot9strap folder). Next, launch GodMode9 at the boot, and from there install manualy the latest version of Luma3DS on the CTRNAND. If the problem is on the SD card (or the reader), the console will boot properly without SD card.

At the end, another try could be a CTRNAND transfer, if the problem is on the NAND itself.

rcpd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try to put the godmode9.firm on the sd card and rename it boot.firm, see if it launches it
Here's the link https://github.com/d0k3/GodMode9/releases

Also which luma version are you using?
Using Luma’s latest release. I believe it’s 12.0. I’ve also tried older versions back to 9.0.

GodMode9 will not boot when renamed to boot.firm. SafeB9S Installer will. I found out Open AGB Firm will as well, but nothing else. I always get the error in the first post when booting anything but B9S installer or OAGBF.

So I just put a crapload of GBA roms on it and call it a glorified GBA. I’m over it.

rcpd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not but I could. At this point I'm just over it. I've already got a n3DS XL so I wasn't too worried about making this one work. I got it cheap and figured it would make a nice backup system. And it does, as long as that system is Game Boy Advance.

I looked into attempting a CTRTransfer. But to be able to do that I need to be able to boot GoodMode9 and it just wont.

rcpd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got nothing to lose, I guess. Why not.

Edit: HOLY SHIT! Luma3DS v7.1 booted!! System firmware is very old at 11.3.0. Now, can I update it and then update Luma3DS to get full functionality? Guess we're going to find out.

Last edited by rcpd,

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, update the system and then replace the boot.firm with the latest luma. I was wondering if that was the case since everywhere I searched said it was because an old version of luma. That's why I asked which version you were using

rcpd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It took the update. I removed the SD card and replaced the boot.firm file with the recent Luma3DS 12.0 file. It booted to the Luma configuration menu. I selected Start to save that configuration and it booted to the Home Screen. Firmware is updated and now CFW is updated!

Thanks @zekro94 for helping me fix this little dude!

Edit: Luma’s chainloader is working properly now and I can even boot into GodMode9. This is just fine!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah they gotta reproduce somehow