Trouble getting X game to work? CHECK HERE FIRST!

Discussion in 'Wii - Tutorials & FAQs' started by F. Lobot, May 5, 2011.

May 5, 2011

F. Lobot New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    style_emoticons/default/excl.gif Read the steps carefully and individually and don't delete IOSs because no one at GBATemp is responsible if you turn your Wii into a doorstop with a blue strobe light. style_emoticons/default/excl.gif

style_emoticons/default/excl.gif If you haven't installed the homebrew channel with Bootmii and Priiloader, you're in the wrong thread. Softmod your Wii first with Modmii or Mauifrog's guide. style_emoticons/default/excl.gif

The Transcendent USB Troubleshooting Index

USB Loader Configurations and Solutions - How to Maximize Compatibility

If you haven't done so yet, run the IOS236 Installer. (Unplug all Gamecube controllers and memory cards first!)

It's generally a good idea for your active IOSs to be up to date. Use Modmii or Dop-Mii. This is required to run newer retail games and for Wii based cIOS installers.

Standardizing (not pimpin') our cIOS rig
    It is important for you to keep a well organized list of cIOSs, what IOS they're based off of, and the slots they're installed to. Save a note on your computer or physically write it on the case of your Wii, as long as you can reference it later. If you don't know what versions or bases are installed, reinstall them, it's okay if you overwrite old files. This tutorial will be following the Modmii standard of recommended cIOSs. You can get them from Modmii or the links below. If you insist on sporting an alternate cIOS setup, that's okay, just make sure your bases are covered. I Mean it, the base IOS is the most important part, use other revisions if you want just make sure you have bases 57, 38, and 37-38 merged patched with Hermes and bases 56 and 47 patched with Waninkoko.

Recommended cIOS List
    Author • Slot# • [BaseIOS] • Version#
    •Hermes 202 [57] v5 - Official installer
    -This slot isn't used for USB loading, but some older apps like WiiXplorer and MPlayerCE need it. We don't speak of it here.
    •Hermes 222 [38] v5 - See above
    •Hermes 224 [57] v5
    -Hermes hasn't made a new release in a long time, so a lot of newer HDDs and devices may not work. These drivers are older, slower, and generally less efficient, but there are some games that just will not work without them, so we'll keep them around.
    •Hermes 223 [37-38] v4 Official installer
    -If music games aren't working with IOS 249, try this.
    •Waninkoko 249 [56] v21d2x6 - Official installer
    -This is your default all-purpose cIOS. Run the USB loader together, install WADs together, shower together, and always boot your games with it unless instructed otherwise.
    •Waninkoko 250 [57] v21d2x6 - See above
    -Slightly slower transfer speeds than IOS 249. Some games such as Black Ops need it, more on that later.

Use the most recent revision of one of the following loaders:
    •Configurable USB Loader
    •USB Loader GX
    •Wiiflow is now compatible as of r255

Make sure the loader is running in cIOS 249.
    or whatever slot is holding Waninkoko cIOS [base56] v21d2x3.

The types of solutions you'll be seing in this guide:
    IOS Settings – blue
    Simple enough provided you have the recommended cIOSs. Change IOS settings in USB loader to something besides the default 249.
    Video Settings – green
    Playing import games may result in greenscreen, blackscreen, or black and white wonky-vision without the correct video settings. Usually there's a special video setting that works but sometimes the only solution is to buy a compatible TV and use component cables. For best compatibility force your native region on import games unless this guide states otherwise.
    IOS Reload – red
    These games will never be playable from USB because they're programed reload a certain IOS, losing USB support and fakesigning. Alternatively some games can be played from a backup disk If DarkCORP or cIOSCORP is applied to the game's native IOS. This is not recommended as it is intrusive, risky, and can interfere with retail games. If you think 'Call of Duty 3' is worth it and you know what you're doing, and you agree to hold no one liable but yourself, then have at it. Some games also need to be patched to run under a cIOS (usually 249). For that use IOS Version Patcher.
    WARNING - Beware the system menu brick! game saves from unpatched games (both retail and backup loading) are incompatible with patched games. If you save the game from the patched ISO and overwrite the old save, it can cause a rare brick where you cannot access the system menu. You must delete the old save if it exists, and create a brand new save file for the patched game. (thanks Slimmmmmm!)
    Alt.dol Method – purple

A reliable workaround for many IOS reloading games. Often when a game reloads IOS it is to launch a separate executable game called a 'DOL' file. We can skip straight to that DOL in the USB loader under alt.dol settings.

A complete fix for IOS reloading games has been found!
    All games previously marked red or purple will work with Waninkoko 249 [56] v21d2x6 unless stated otherwise. Make sure 'No IOS Reload' is turned on, in fact make it the default option.

Misc. Options – orange
    Anything from renaming config files to unplugging your memory card.

Other general troubleshooting tips – not specific to any game
    •Remove/disable spin down on your HDD
    •Try deleting and re-transferring the game to your HDD.
    •Keep a retail disk in the Wii at all times – even pirates own Wii Sports
    •uLoader is good for recognizing DLC, I'll incorporate that eventually.

Every Known Solution
    All games work with IOS 249 (Waninkoko 249 [56] v21d2x6) unless stated otherwise.
    WARNING! Spoilers inside!

Great guide, but I'm having trouble getting Four Swords Adventures to show up in my...
    Stop right there! If you seriously are reading this message board and have not figured out by now that Gamecube loading from USB will never be possible, you must be really stupid or in my imagination. Your options are either Swiss or backup disks.

If a game is not on this list, it is either a bad rip, working with cIOS 249, or incompatible with USB loading.

Keep in mind that there are other games that have no solution, for reference check the USB Game Compatibility Table. You can also use it to inform me of any missing or just plain misinformation in this guide, I would appreciate it.

Special thanks to: Xflak, Mauifrog, Waninkoko, Hermes, davebaol, Norwegian Recycling, all of the users who posted in various topics from now to 2006, Slimmmmmm, and Nintendo Chick, and anyone else I forgot for contributing something that was used in this guide.

F. Lobot New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    This thread is a major work in progress.

To-Do List
    •Complete the guide - write Black Ops internet overview, DLC guide.
    •Check that all information is accurate, test games myself.
    •Make directions more newbie-friendly and generally more clear
    •Include support for older/newer revisions of cIOS
    •Links section with helpful and relevant threads (citation?)
    •Better support for those unable to use Modmii
    •Complete list of IOS reloading games that work with cIOSCORP or 249 patch
    •Config files for CFG and USB Loader GX

Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Supperb guide [IMG]

F. Lobot New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Thank you I'll add that right away.

Nintendo_Chick New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Thought it was worth pointing out you can change the difficulty on Metroid Prime Trilogy with some hacks.

http://geckocodes.org/?c=R3ME01

NTSC-U

PAL

You need to activate it every time you play, and hypermode might not work unless you beat the game on normal or veteran first.

F. Lobot New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Thanks, I added both of your suggestions to the first post. I also posted a download link to the rev21dx2 installer, so no more sketchy linking to a guide with links to files.

icw35 New Member

Message Count:
    Spain
    Also Splinter Cell works fine with Uniiloader (sorgs version of uneek+di). I bet a lot of the other games do too.

XFlak Considering Wii-tirement...

Message Count:
    Canada
    congrats on your results in the tutorial competition!!

I noticed one minor typo though

davebaol New Member

Message Count:
    Italy
    Great tutorial!
    I think it's worth adding a reference to the cIOS d2x v5 beta1 as a possible solution to IOS reload over usb/sd (WBFS only).
    Also, we're working on beta2 to support FAT/NTFS too. [IMG]

cobleman New Member

Message Count:
    Australia
    My Sims Racing
    Unplug Gamecube controllers when booting game.
    How do i get it to work in story mode?
    My copy works 100% in Uneek + Di !

Etheboss Official LULWUT supporter

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    @F. Lobot, great tutorial, but better make sure you test as much games as possible, because the USB game compatibility Table not totally relyable.

xfcrowman New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Agreed - this is an excellent tutorial and will help lots of users. However, I think that continued testing will help improve this list. For example, I'm pretty certain that all of the games described above will work with cios r21-d2x5 with a base of IOS56, and only a handful of games need IOS57. Therefore, I'm pretty sure that the hermes cIOS aren't necessary for any games anymore.

Also, here is some info to update the list with:

We Dare - works with Mighty Loader using cios r21-d2x5 (base of IOS56). It also looks like it a fix is coming for CFG as well for this game.

Shaun White Skateboarding - Will only work with a base 56 cIOS.

Your Shape - I have read (but not tested myself) that this game requires a base 58 cIOS and of course a usb camera. Please someone confirm this or correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again for this great tutorial!

F. Lobot New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Hey everyone I'm sorry, I've been doing some testing and I know there are still a lot of inaccuracies that I meant to fix, but I thought I had until June 6th to change them. No matter, it will be fixed soon. I've also been testing older revisions, but that has a ways to go. I'm surprised this ranked as well as it did because there were some really heavy contenders. Overall good show.

e: And dang, with the progress on d2x I was afraid this guide would be obsolete before the competition was even over.

xfcrowman New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    No worries - it's great that you have designed this guide.

I just remembered another game:

Jumpstart: Pet Rescue - It works if you use the new cIOS rev21 d2x5 with base 56 and if you use the new IOS Reload Block. This only works on a WBFS formatted drive, but hopefully soon this feature will be possible on FAT and NTFS. I'm not certain if it is an IOS reload game (it only has one .dol), but for some reason this works.

I think that even though the IOS reload problem has finally been solved, this guide will still be useful because many people will not know why games like Metroid Prime Trilogy don't work using default settings. If anything, the block IOS reload makes the guide easier because now you only need to change one option. Alt dol, alt dol + etc are now obsolete, so the only changes the user needs to make is: block IOS reload, or choosing a cIOS with a base 57 or 58.

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Message Count:
    United States
    It's not my guide of course, but I'd recommend you change 222 to v4 base 38, since some drives have problems with v5/5.1 (they don't run well or the data gets corrupted). If the user decides to use the 222 version of Cfg or WiiFlow, it could end badly. It's rare for that to happen, but still, there isn't really a reason to leave it at v5 IMO.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it is a great guide. I'm sure this will help a lot of people. [IMG]

kirbymaster101 New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    Super Smash Bros Brawl works fine with me with the dafult cios. Waninkoko cios249rev21(56) dont know why u would need (Hermes 222 [38] v5)

xfcrowman New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Another update - We Dare is now confirmed working with CFG, and it seems like you don't need to adjust any settings.

Also, the newest d2x6-beta1 has support for Fat and NTFS for IOS reload blocking! Now everyone can join in on the fun!!! [IMG]

davebaol New Member

Message Count:
    Italy
    d2x v6 has been released.
    Now all ios reloading games should work out-of-the-box.

However few singing games like "U-Sing 2" and "We Sing Deutsche Hits" (German PAL) have sync problems through usb.
    With d2x and Waninkoko's cios they work through dvd and sd card only.
    With Hermes cios they work fine through usb too.
    • Newcomer

GRIM.657 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Great guide, thanks a ton [IMG]
    • Newcomer

fedejofa New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Hey, using the configuration that is mention here, in mario kart i got tu use hermes cios (224), 249 or 250 dont work.
    Someone else got that problem?
    (new black wii with 4.3U Softmodded only)

SPONSORED LINKS