ROM Hack Translation project for Pokémon Black2 & White2

Vinnymac

Trophies
Website
nds-roms.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it is best not to assume, but if something like pokesav editor is updated for B&W2 I am sure one day things will work out :P. Right now just enjoy it :)

Hero_Of_Fate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's something that irks me about the Gym Leader name translations in this. Why is it, in the English version, you're using the foreign names instead of the English names? It's completely knocking me for a loop due to inconsistency. Especially when you have the English name of Roxie but, then use the non-English European names Arty and Chamomile.

Unagi

A disgrace to his famiry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's something that irks me about the Gym Leader name translations in this. Why is it, in the English version, you're using the foreign names instead of the English names? It's completely knocking me for a loop due to inconsistency. Especially when you have the English name of Roxie but, then use the non-English European names Arty and Chamomile.

YES. I mentioned something about inconsistency earlier. Thank you for giving me the example. It really throws me off with things like this. Why is it that there are different uhhh.... foreign...names being thrown around? Can the newest patch stick to one style?

Hero_Of_Fate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not exactly sure which language they're from specfically (I read up on them back around the original Western Release of BW) but, they're a variety like literal Japanese translations and German/Spanish/Italian names. It's kind of bothersome.

Le Panda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Huh, theres a better patch with more accurate translations out there.

Then go there. Assuming you're going to where I think you're going, you might as well just wait until the official English release because with a small team working on it, accuracy won't do anything if it's not done at a good speed. We might have a few bumps in the translation here and there but it's guaranteed that those bumps will vanish in the next patch. We're not going to be 100% accurate but we promise to be accurate enough for you to understand the game and be able to play through it. That's what most people care about anyway, because when the official english games are out they are STILL gonna buy them and beat the game again. You're just being impatient.

Reactions: 4 people

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country

Then go there. Assuming you're going to where I think you're going, you might as well just wait until the official English release because with a small team working on it, accuracy won't do anything if it's not done at a good speed. We might have a few bumps in the translation here and there but it's guaranteed that those bumps will vanish in the next patch. We're not going to be 100% accurate but we promise to be accurate enough for you to understand the game and be able to play through it. That's what most people care about anyway, because when the official english games are out they are STILL gonna buy them and beat the game again. You're just being impatient.
A few bumps? It's like the road that hasn't been repaved since it was put in of translations as far as bumps go. I tracked down the other patch (which if anybody is curious, I'll post the link to), and they're making solid progress. It isn't rapid, but they're being far more efficient in their methods. They've also made decent progress in the past few days in regards to getting everything vital to actually playing translated. I'd rather play a decent translation in a month than a rushed, inconsistent, mess of a translation in a week. Some people do actually want quality work. A translation project isn't a race. You can beat the localization without rapidly slapping together patch after patch with a new bug practically every single time. At the rate things are going, the translation is going to require such a mountain of editing that the patch is going to take ages to be finalized anyways.

If people wanted to stumble through the game, they'd play it in Japanese. Don't act like sloppy work is suddenly okay just because the game is going to be localized at a later time. A standard of quality should be upheld. If you're going to touch the story, have the courtesy to do it right (ie: not letting everybody that took a year of Japanese submit files via email that will take days to comb through if the rate of emails keeps up).

As I said in my first post of the thread, I can't understand when people decide to translate a game that's going to be localized. With that said, the least that can be done is to make the work as efficient as possible. Even after Black and White came out, a number of people still used the fan translation, as the months between releases allowed for a quality fan translation to be born. Try your damndest to live up to that quality, and don't make up excuses to justify rushed work.

Reactions: 2 people

Hero_Of_Fate

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd actually be interested in the other patch, wherever it might be. I have no issue playing through the story in Japanese (it means I'd have an easier time playing through the American version of White 2 when I buy it), I'd just like to have accuracy in the systems.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I PM'd it to you, as I probably shouldn't post another project in this project's thread. It's simply courteous to leave that one out of here.

Unagi

A disgrace to his famiry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After comparing the two together side by side, it's really safe to say that the quality of the second patch by said team is miles ahead in terms of quality. The amount of groundbreaking bugs comparing the two is HUGE. I'm sorry to say this bluntly but I expect a certain level of quality with my translations. Call me impatient or bitchy, but bottom line is you've gotta have quality to make a good translation, not something thats rushed together with a good amount of buggy mistakes. The other team is slower, yes, but they at least verified the contents of what they put in. It feels coherent and synchronised, whereas here I feel as if multiple tones exist and different interpretations were thrown out there.

SevenLives

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm new to GBATemp tonight but I read through this post as I have been playing both patches mentioned. The pokestation topic stated no automatic translators, however the Medal Box or "Friday Box"(.....) as you like to call it has a pretty generic description and item name that smells of google translate(HINT: It was google translated).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably because the game cover looks like it's meant for little kids