Hardware Too expensive

Deathmore

Trophies
XP
Country
Midna said:
Don't listen to Patcher. He's an idiot.
Pachter did point out that the Go was a rip-off, I was going to buy one, then other analysts and him said it's cheaper to make than a PSP-3000.

No he's not an idiot, it's called being a human, not all humans are perfect.

Of course the 3DS is going to be priced around $190 to $250 whether people like it or not. I even did a breakdown of what I thought the price would be the cheapest I think it would be is $200, and I believe it will go over that price because it's more powerful than a DSi and DSi XL obviously it's going to be more expensive. I remember that the DS launched in america for $150, that's what I've been hearing. The Gamecube was dropped to the price of $99 around that time, so I don't know why people are saying: "It can't be more expensive than a home console", If they never made the wii so unpowerful then the 3DS wouldn't possibly be the same price / more expensive.

If nintendo some how got all these parts for way cheap, I want to know their supplier since I even broke down the features, including system's box, papers, charger etc.

EDIT: However I do believe $250 is the max price that anyone should pay for the console alone, anything above is slightly reasonable but I see where you're getting at the whole $50 less than PS3. Could it be $250/$249.99, there's chance but it's unlikely but Im pretty sure that the 3DS is going to be over $200.

Over here we have to pay more for consoles and games, consider your selves lucky, when the DSi launched it was like this: £149.99 and $169.99 look at the gap difference between these prices we are paying way over $169.99 So If you're complaining that over $200 is expensive well guess what other countries have to pay more than that and Im still buying it

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, is this seriously still being argued about? The DSi XL is currently $190 new and it is selling good enough. Since the 3DS is going to be like 7X more bad@$$, then I find $250 VERY reasonable. I mean come on, when PS3 launched for like $600-$800, people still got it. Sure it didn't take off until recently when it got more HDD space and dropped to like $300, but it still got by. Point: 3DS is easily worth a $250 price tag. If they charge say, $350, that is when you complain. Besides, as stated countless times before, everything right now is speculation, nothing should be confirmed until at LEAST September, probably later.

Deathmore

Trophies
XP
Country
AaronUzumaki said:
Wow, is this seriously still being argued about? The DSi XL is currently $190 new and it is selling good enough. Since the 3DS is going to be like 7X more bad@$$, then I find $250 VERY reasonable. I mean come on, when PS3 launched for like $600-$800, people still got it. Sure it didn't take off until recently when it got more HDD space and dropped to like $300, but it still got by. Point: 3DS is easily worth a $250 price tag. If they charge say, $350, that is when you complain. Besides, as stated countless times before, everything right now is speculation, nothing should be confirmed until at LEAST September, probably later.
Yes you are right but also think like Nintendo, will they really charge $250 when the PS3 indeed is $50 away, or it's around the same price to get a 360. I own all three consoles for this gen but for those that don't where would they go to. That's what nintendo is currently thinking.

BadBloke

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.wiintendogr.com
XP
Country
Greece
regnad said:
Take a look, Nintendo: http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=3991

There's a huge drop-off after $200. That's where you start losing customers, me included.

If you're so confident about your anti-piracy, you'll make up for affordable unit prices by selling lots of games. That is unless nobody buys it because it's too expensive.

I don't think this poll reflects reality. No one is ignorant enough to believe it's going to cost $100 or $150 at launch. Maybe two years after release (and probably after the "lite" revision is launched), but even then you're looking at $150, not $100. So the first two options are preposterous and their voters, too. Also I don't think 33% hate the 3DS so much already that they're not going to buy it at any price. These have to be the rival companies' fanboys.

Ultimately, I think it's going to retail somewhere around $200(optimistic)-$300(pessimistic), though $250 at launch is a safe bet. And it's going to sell a lot because apparently it's going to be hard to resist. I have the feeling that when I play for the first time I'll stop thinking about money.

mangaTom

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Deathmore said:
Yes you are right but also think like Nintendo, will they really charge $250 when the PS3 indeed is $50 away, or it's around the same price to get a 360. I own all three consoles for this gen but for those that don't where would they go to. That's what nintendo is currently thinking.
Yes that's what I'm also thinking.Im planning to get the 3ds but if it's really priced almost or over 250$ then I'd rather get a PS3(which I have been planning to get for a long time).Even though were talking about quality plus it's handheld but not all consumers think alike especially practical ones.PS3 suffered such fate during it's launch and Ninty hopefully won't suffer the same since customers have the stereotypically way of the thinking(cheap while giving you the best) on how Nintendo sells it's products based on its history.Well I wouldn't mind the price going over 200 but not so close to 250.

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Good point, I need this secondary PS3, so I can go online etc.
tongue.gif

My 60GB(320GB) Phat is still on 3.15 for Brew hopefully...

But I did see the 3DS on max 229,99 Euro.
Around 190 Pound, and 229,99 Dollar. (Hmm let's import it so I only have to pay: 174,55 Euro!
ohmy.gif
)

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
No, than I could buy a 360 and second ps3.
(Ok I only would buy a 360 if Live was free, and only for the Halo series. lol )

But seriously it wouldn't cost 500 euro, if it would no one, except movie stars etc, would buy it.

Deathmore

Trophies
XP
Country
TheTwoR's said:
Are you guys kidding me?
ohnoes.png

I'd buy it even if it was like $500
Despite what I said about the iPad and iPhone, no way!
Honestly $500 is better off on a home console.

Over here £275 is the limit which includes at least 2-3 games. We say it'll be at a certain price because that's what we're willing to pay, Nintendo UK did say it will fit the £130-£160 architecture which means if this sells for £170-£180 it'll probably be $220-$230. Noting that £160 is the DSi XL price, £130(actually £99) being the DSi price and £165 being wii current price wii motionplus and resort and £180 being the wii launch price.

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Deathmore said:
AaronUzumaki said:

This is true, but PS3 is a home console and can be built cheaper and be bulkier as well. The 3DS is portable and compressing good hardware in smaller packages costs a lot more. Plus, you would rather get a 3DS, because you can take it with you on the go.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
AaronUzumaki said:
Plus, you would rather get a 3DS, because you can take it with you on the go.

Not to mention the plethora of launch titles they have lined up in hopes of us taking it as a trade-off for the high price

D

Deleted_171835

AaronUzumaki said:
This is true, but PS3 is a home console and can be built cheaper and be bulkier as well. The 3DS is portable and compressing good hardware in smaller packages costs a lot more. Plus, you would rather get a 3DS, because you can take it with you on the go.
Nope. The total manufacturing cost of a 120GB PS3 Slim is $336.27 US.
I highly doubt the 3DS would have that high of a manufacturing cost. The PS3 isn't built cheaper than the 3DS though I suppose we can't really be sure until it comes out. If the 3DS really did have a higher manufacturing cost than the PS3, Niintendo would have to increase the MSRP of it to not lose money bringing the price to about $400. A price of $400 wouldn't be good, though because it isn't an attractive price to consumers.

The PSP cost $249 US at launch while the DS was $130 US. It might seem like an unfair comparison because the PSP is a more powerful handheld. The price of the DS Phat is a much more attractive price to consumers than the PSP. The DSi cost $179-200 US at launch. Nintendo wouldn't put the price of the 3DS much higher than that to prevent alienation of customers. Therefore, I can safely assume that the 3DS will cost about $250 US.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
Not to mention the plethora of launch titles they have lined up in hopes of us taking it as a trade-off for the high price

Speaking of which...

Who's to say they won't inflate game prices instead of (or in addition to) console prices?

I think that'd be a pretty good decision for Nintendo in the long run. After all, if the console's a success, then a few years down the road, nearly every household will have at least one, and sales will start to subside, just as what's happening to the Wii nowadays. But there's ALWAYS new games coming out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No those are just incoming calls