Hacking Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE restoration

Hornet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think i will just give up, so much work thanks anyway :)
All the verification is doing, is comparing the MD5 checksums of the patched files with ones provided. If it reads as an error, it's more likely that the MD5s it's comparing to haven't been updated to the most recent version of the files. If that's the case, the patch will work regardless. Try playing anyway.

Reactions: Fjar

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
YOU'LL NEED A HOMEBREW ENABLED WII U TO USE THE PATCH!!
Maybe that notice is confusing the users.
they think they need to hack the WiiU "FIRST" before using this patch, and by hacking, they usually think about the vWii mode hacking. (see last few posts)

Maybe you should remove or rename this notice to something like :
You need a WiiU on 5.3.2 or newer version !
(even if 4.x should work fine)
But I think very few users with the retail game will be on anything else than 5.5.1, unless they already know how to use loadiine and are old users on this forum.
New players who bought the game and heard for the first time about the ability to uncensor and patch a game will be on 5.5.1

In fact, no real "hacked WiiU" or "homebrew enabled" is needed, you only need some files on an SD card (the HBL, ddd and loadiine, which you could even pre-pack and link) and visit an URL to launch HBL. The WiiU doesn't need any "installed hack ready to use" before doing anything. all is temporarily re-patched with a simple URL visit.
So, the notice could even be deleted entirely in my opinion, it's more confusing than helping.
maybe replace it to this one instead :
YOU'LL NEED THE WIIU HOMEBREW LAUNCHER AND LOADIINE TO USE THE PATCH!! (provided)
AND ALSO A DUMPED VERSION OF THE GAME (using ddd provided program).

or something reflecting that they don't need anything special done to their console at all, and that they don't need to find a dump of their game, they can dump it themselves with ddd.
You are currently insinuating that they need to "get" a dump of the game to use the patch, not that they have all they need and they can use their game disc to extract the files for the patch.

You only need a WiiU on version 5.3.2 or newer (up to 5.5.1)
You also need this homebrew package (add a link over "package") to put on your SD card, allowing you do copy and launch your game from SD card.
("you need", why use the future? if they want it, then they need it; it's released and available, use the present :P)

well, that's only suggestions. it's your project, do what you think it's best. but with the current note, it's confusing.

Reactions: DarthDub
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Thanks to all involved. I've become interested in owning the game again and playing it uncensored is definitely the best way to experience it!

S

Saiyan Lusitano

they think they need to hack the WiiU "FIRST" before using this patch, and by hacking, they usually think about the vWii mode hacking. (see last few posts)

But I think very few users with the retail game will be on anything else than 5.5.1, unless they already know how to use loadiine and are old users on this forum.
New players who bought the game and heard for the first time about the ability to uncensor and patch a game will be on 5.5.1

In fact, no real "hacked WiiU" or "homebrew enabled" is needed, you only need some files on an SD card (the HBL, ddd and loadiine, which you could even pre-pack and link) and visit an URL to launch HBL. The WiiU doesn't need any "installed hack ready to use" before doing anything. all is temporarily re-patched with a simple URL visit.
So, the notice could even be deleted entirely in my opinion, it's more confusing than helping.

or something reflecting that they don't need anything special done to their console at all, and that they don't need to find a dump of their game, they can dump it themselves with ddd.
You are currently insinuating that they need to "get" a dump of the game to use the patch, not that they have all they need and they can use their game disc to extract the files for the patch.

("you need", why use the future? if they want it, then they need it; it's released and available, use the present :P)

well, that's only suggestions. it's your project, do what you think it's best. but with the current note, it's confusing.
Noob here. My Wii U has the latest firmware update but can I still use Loadiine and whatever necessary?

At this point I don't care on keeping my Wii U up to date since there's nothing to play on it (well, there's Mario Kart 8 online but meh).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, homebrew are working on latest WiiU version.
You don't need anything special, just the homebrew files on your SD card and visit an URL to launch The Homebrew Launcher.

what you need :
homebrew launcher (the base for all apps)
ddd (to dump your game and DLC to network/pc)
the patcher on PC, to patch the dumped game files
Saviine (in case you want to backup your savegame from WiiU to continue playing on loadiine)
Loadiine (to launch the patched game)

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Yeas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is absolutely one of the things that led me to think I needed the "Smash Stack", also the fact that people mention you need to use the "smash method." You google Smash Bros + Wii U homebrew and you get pages upon pages about the Smash Stack, which is why I thought I needed Brawl. The wording as it stands is very confusing to people new to this who are here just for TMS.

Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I agree that a complete neophyte (newbies) who don't know the hacking terms can be lost. This project is starting to get attention from places where users don't usually hack their consoles or mod their games, so new users with no knowledge will have difficulties if it's not explained without ambiguities.
That's why I think it's best to not tell users that they need a "hacked wiiu" or they will try to hack it first. We need better words choice.

the "smash method" here refers to the method used by Loadiine to launch the game.
it uses a "host game" which has SD access in order to redirect and read the "tokyo mirage" files from SD card. There are 4 possible titles which can be used with loadiine :
Smash bros WiiU (best compatibility, DLC support. Disc or eShop version are working),
MiiMaker (no retail game needed, but DLC not working, some "loaded games" are not working),
Karaoke U (no DLC, unknown compatibility rate),
Art Academy (no DLC, unknown compatibility rate)

S

Saiyan Lusitano

yes, homebrew are working on latest WiiU version.
You don't need anything special, just the homebrew files on your SD card and visit an URL to launch The Homebrew Launcher.

what you need :
homebrew launcher (the base for all apps)
ddd (to dump your game and DLC to network/pc)
the patcher on PC, to patch the dumped game files
Saviine (in case you want to backup your savegame from WiiU to continue playing on loadiine)
Loadiine (to launch the patched game)
Thanks so much! I just bought the game earlier today so it'll be arriving soon.

Again, thanks to all involved this is amazing!

Ebonarm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree that a complete neophyte (newbies) who don't know the hacking terms can be lost. This project is starting to get attention from places where users don't usually hack their consoles or mod their games, so new users with no knowledge will have difficulties if it's not explained without ambiguities.
That's why I think it's best to not tell users that they need a "hacked wiiu" or they will try to hack it first. We need better words choice.

the "smash method" here refers to the method used by Loadiine to launch the game.
it uses a "host game" which has SD access in order to redirect and read the "tokyo mirage" files from SD card. There are 4 possible titles which can be used with loadiine :
Smash bros WiiU (best compatibility, DLC support. Disc or eShop version are working),
MiiMaker (no retail game needed, but DLC not working, some "loaded games" are not working),
Karaoke U (no DLC, unknown compatibility rate),
Art Academy (no DLC, unknown compatibility rate)
I can totally agree with this. I'm brand new to Homebrew and I set myself up to do the vWii version and not WiiU since I didn't know there was a difference.

Sn0wCrack

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Thanks for the advice Cyan, much appreciated.

We kinda made the thread assuming people would know of how to use homebrew, mostly given where we are right now. But I guess others got drawn in, or it was just much to wishful thinking.
I'll probably do some more OP tweaking in the following days.

Reactions: Yeas

Hornet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice Cyan, much appreciated.

We kinda made the thread assuming people would know of how to use homebrew, mostly given where we are right now. But I guess others got drawn in, or it was just much to wishful thinking.
I'll probably do some more OP tweaking in the following days.
I came here the day after the game's release, not knowing how to do anything, but with a little googling, I was able to figure it all out on my own :D

That said, the OP wasn't very clear on what I needed to do, and I ended up using the pastebin as my main instructions into how to get the game going.

Dudboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I came here the day after the game's release, not knowing how to do anything, but with a little googling, I was able to figure it all out on my own :D

That said, the OP wasn't very clear on what I needed to do, and I ended up using the pastebin as my main instructions into how to get the game going.

I also came back here pretty much for the first time, and following the links in the OP was enough for me to figure things out. Reading the FAQ was also really helpful; I just think the first few bold text lines could be kinda intimidating, and the links to each of the different homebrew threads could easily be accidentally skipped.

Dehumanize

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Same here but Cyan's Loadiine guide made it easy enough.

Shizumasa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm completely new to the WiiU Homebrew. I agree the explanation is vague sometimes but using the right keywords and searching at the right place will get you anywhere. Finding things out by yourself is a good thing to gain more knowledge for yourself in how things work. And asking is not a bad thing.
That said, this browser exploit method is so much easier. I'm happy. XD

Notasandwich

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried patching this after finishing the dump. Used the file checker and everything turned up with "error". Tried to get Loadiine_gx2 to read it but the entry for the game doesn't let me load it and the cover is blank. Not sure what to do

Celtic_spike

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i really want to get a Wiiu to play this game ,and the uncensored version. Am I correct in saying that DDD will let me dump the game files to an external HD connected to my laptop and then run the game from my external hd plugged into the Wiiu.

Dudboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i really want to get a Wiiu to play this game ,and the uncensored version. Am I correct in saying that DDD will let me dump the game files to an external HD connected to my laptop and then run the game from my external hd plugged into the Wiiu.

No. Current Wii U homebrew methods can only access the SD card; we're currently unable to gain full read/write access to external hard drives, so while you can dump the game to your hard drive via DDD, you will have to transfer the files to a sufficently large SD card (12 GB+) in order to play the patched game on your Wii U.

Celtic_spike

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No. Current Wii U homebrew methods can only access the SD card; we're currently unable to gain full read/write access to external hard drives, so while you can dump the game to your hard drive via DDD, you will have to transfer the files to a sufficently large SD card (12 GB+) in order to play the patched game on your Wii U.

thank you. I imagine the same applies for emus and roms

valandil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey so it seems that the patch with 0.9.4 is much more stable now as it's been a while since somebody posted a bug. Looks like the game has even been finished by some. Personally I'm playing through the game and even though I don't have many hours in, I haven't seen a bug. Definitely great job guys!!

Reactions: Yeas

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?