Homebrew THREAD ON HACKING OLD 3DS/ OLD 3DS XL WITH VERSION 11.4 {Information thread}

PixelNyan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I've been scouring the web for days after updating my old 3ds xl fw (firm ware) to 11.4~, eventually realizing I'm fucked for right now. So what do I do I go and buy a "new 3ds xl"... welp long story short i ended up with an OLD 3DS xl instead of the new one...... Literally just a change of size. now I'm just lost going through rabbit hole after rabbit hole online again trying to make it work, with no luck at all! So I decided to stop my fruitless search and just make my own help thread so the people can help me weed shit out and prevent others from bricking there 3DS. Also to make a place for people to be notified if shit changes!

Unfortunately if you're on a system thats never been hacked, all the hopeful routes out there as of April 20th*** are not working for OLD 3DS/ Xl's (thats the one WITHOUT the added buttons)

****If theres something you know that I obviously don't, ANY WORKAROUND YOU MAY HAVE FOR HACKING IN ANY WAY OF THE OLD 3DS/3DS XL VERSION 11.4~ INCLUDING DOWNGRADING BACK TO 11.3 TO PLEASE POST ON THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since I haven't seen any thread with this goal or issue I will be taking it as the official. However if you find any forum thread any where online at all relating to this or similar topics please link it and I will switch this post over to that link!

I'm hoping for a resolution in the near future, so any information is better than none. Just spam the shit out of this thread with your knowledge**

-xx

Sorry for grammar or spelling mistakes I'm tired as shit

VictorMoreno015

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best option to do right now is just wait until 11.4 is hackable (It took about 2 months for 11.3 to be hackable so patience is key), and just use the Homebrew Launcher. IF you bought your 3DS recently you can always refund it and get another one. Its not like everyone who owns a 3DS is aware that it even is hackable. So whoever buys your current one won't suffer unless they are a fellow hacker. At any case I recommend to just wait until its hackable or risk buying another 3DS. Always look around if the device you want to hack is even hackable. I screwed up there when I bought a nonrefundable PS3.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
this thread confuses me
let me see if I got this
1) he updated a small o3ds system to 11.4 (bad luck)

2) he go to buy a replacement n3ds but seemingly accidentally buys another o3ds but an xl this time

3 option a) somewhere along the way he has a panic attack and does something that seemingly bricked this system (not sure about this point he rambles a bit)

3 option b) he either bought a replacement system because his first was on 11.4 and decided to buy another 11.4 system (insert Jackie chan "why" meme here) that or he immediately updated his new hackable 3ds to 11.4 again (insert same meme here)

so the moral of the story is as always rtfm

Last edited by gamesquest1,

PixelNyan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who knows man, maybe he haid enough money for the n3ds xl, but hus GF wanted some cute shoes, or an engagement ring? :-)
nah ebay man

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

this thread confuses me
let me see if I got this
1) he updated a small o3ds system to 11.4 (bad luck)

2) he go to buy a replacement n3ds but seemingly accidentally buys another o3ds but an xl this time

3 option a) somewhere along the way he has a panic attack and does something that seemingly bricked this system (not sure about this point he rambles a bit)

3 option b) he either bought a replacement system because his first was on 11.4 and decided to buy another 11.4 system (insert Jackie chan "why" meme here) that or he immediately updated his new hackable 3ds to 11.4 again (insert same meme here)

so the moral of the story is as always rtfm
option c) I wanted to upgrade anyways and so I ordered a n3ds xl and when I came in the mail find out gamestop people are oblivious to what your talking about and sent me a new old 3ds xl not a new 3ds xl :/

Byokugen

Unit_01
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
nah ebay man

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

option c) I wanted to upgrade anyways and so I ordered a n3ds xl and when I came in the mail find out gamestop people are oblivious to what your talking about and sent me a new old 3ds xl not a new 3ds xl :/
Did you aske them to change it?

PixelNyan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best option to do right now is just wait until 11.4 is hackable (It took about 2 months for 11.3 to be hackable so patience is key), and just use the Homebrew Launcher. IF you bought your 3DS recently you can always refund it and get another one. Its not like everyone who owns a 3DS is aware that it even is hackable. So whoever buys your current one won't suffer unless they are a fellow hacker. At any case I recommend to just wait until its hackable or risk buying another 3DS. Always look around if the device you want to hack is even hackable. I screwed up there when I bought a nonrefundable PS3.
ya this weekend I've attempted to sort the shit out!

hteetretsnom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been a nurse for a year now and when I was student I told myself I would stop hacking once I got my job. I've really stuck to that BUT I bought and old 3DS for $60 about a week ago. When it asked me to update, I paused and considered it for two seconds and stuck to my idea of not hacking. It's been about a week since then and I come to the conclusion that buying used games from gamestop doesn't help developers. I'll just buy new games as they're released if I want to support a developer. So I'm desperate to fix my mistake! I just wanted to bump this thread up for when more information comes to light.

PixelNyan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea unfortunately it looks like n3ds and o3ds alike are stuck. Sucks cause i like to use acnl hax and with no entry point payloads being fixed is a tease to me right now :/

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been a nurse for a year now and when I was student I told myself I would stop hacking once I got my job. I've really stuck to that BUT I bought and old 3DS for $60 about a week ago. When it asked me to update, I paused and considered it for two seconds and stuck to my idea of not hacking. It's been about a week since then and I come to the conclusion that buying used games from gamestop doesn't help developers. I'll just buy new games as they're released if I want to support a developer. So I'm desperate to fix my mistake! I just wanted to bump this thread up for when more information comes to light.
Ah, the old moral dilemma. Just don't update anymore as Nintendo is trying to patch every exploit they can for the arrival of the N2DSXL. More exploits will come eventually, you just have to wait it out now.

As for your moral dilemma, you know you could've just install A9LH and CFW and used it like an unhacked system, right? If anything, use it as a means to recover if something were to go wrong with say a botched system update, you'd be able to recover with a NAND backup. A9LH and CFW are more than just a way to piracy. That's just the major benefit to most people. Personally, I hack for emulation and since I started with a 2DS I needed CFW to play games at full speed but my main benefit now is knowing I have a means to recover if something ever went wrong. Just something to think about until a new exploit comes out for 11.4. :)

Reactions: Quantumcat

smoresauce

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm a noob to the modding scene and read through all of the tutorials I could posted by other modders on reddit, but what it all boils down to is: Do you guys think there will be an exploit for 11.4 eventually on the o3ds?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm a noob to the modding scene and read through all of the tutorials I could posted by other modders on reddit, but what it all boils down to is: Do you guys think there will be an exploit for 11.4 eventually on the o3ds?
There will be one day. We were doom and gloom over 11.3, but time passed and it was hacked.

Reactions: Zidapi

Avvie

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there any fix yet? I stupidly updated my old 3DS to 11.4 and now can no longer use homebrew at all. (I've only been using HB for a few months now so this is the first time i've experienced this)

smoresauce

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there any fix yet? I stupidly updated my old 3DS to 11.4 and now can no longer use homebrew at all. (I've only been using HB for a few months now so this is the first time i've experienced this)

There's a fix for old 3DS already running custom firmware

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak past the light and kill that giant mosquito.