OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
How will I be able to play ISO's and homebrew on it? Some help, i am clueless
oh, and also if i should even get one. Im getting a bit bored of my DSL. Not many good games lately
dry.gif

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Have to use a Pandora battery.

Detailed instructions here:
http://pspupdates.qj.net/Lounger-s-M33-ins...g/49/aid/102187

I have no access to the stuff needed to do this where I live, so I shipped mine off to [M]artin and he did it for me.

As for if you should get one:
Well, I'm loving mine for the ability to play PS1 games on it. I've been playing Xenogears and the old Tony Hawk games with it.
Plus there's lots of great emulators and homebrew for it. The SNES emulator isn't perfect, but still does a far better job than any of the SNES emulators for the DS.
There are also a few good games for the PSP. I got the PSP+Daxter bundle when the Slim was released and was surprised to find that Daxter was pretty fun, even though I didn't like the Jak trilogy much. Loco Roco is one of those 'weird, but fun' games. And I hear Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops is good. There's also a new God of War on its way. And hopefully we'll get FF7-CC at some point.

Seccom Masada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've been looking into getting one as well. As far as I know (looking around for few seconds), you need to do this: link, then somehow upgrade it to 3.71 M33(-2?). You'll need an old-style PSP to make a special battery and mem card, apparently. Sucks, doesn't it.

Hiratai

I'm like *tick* *tick*
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
I was talking about finding someone with a homebrew-enabled PSP. The nearest major city is 500 miles away.
Go troll somewhere else Hiratai.

Hairy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tagging this thread so I can come back to it later! I too am thinking about getting a PSP Slim. Hopefully they'll find a way to mod the slim easier >_>

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
It's already super-easy to mod the slim... Putting together Pandora's Battery and a Memory Stick for it took a minute... making it compatible with slim took seconds.

But yeah, you do need the PSP Fat in order to do it. I bought the slim, and an hour later, the mod was released for it, so I still had my fat on me to do the modification
biggrin.gif

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't the PS1-Pad have 8 Buttons and the PSP only 6? So how do you play a game on PSP that uses all 8 PS1 buttons?
L2 and R2 are emulated with the analog nub. There are also settings that let you swap them with L1 and R1.
I think you can also swap the d-pad for the analog nub so that you use the nub for direction and Left and Right on the D-Pad for L# and R#. I haven't tried it myself as I'm using the d-pad all the time for direction.
Anyway, this whole business with the trigger might make some of the more fast-paced games tricky, but I've had no trouble with it in the RPGs.

Lodis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need a Phat to do any of this. You can buy a Pandora battery and Memstick from Ebay or use the Datel Tool battery and then you can use one of the Pandora GUI's to create the Memstick via your PC. There is also a way to create the Memstick from a homebrew enabled Slim Psp if you knew someone who had one of those instead of a Phat. You can also hard mod the Psp battery although I think this is not worth the effort.

n45800

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you do have a hacked PSP-Slim and you want to make a pandora battery to hack another PSP, don't. Not with the original battery anyway. The slim PSPs ship with a battery made in Japan that does not work with pandora, and will possibly brick the battery if you try to use pandora on it. The old PSPs and MOST replacement ones are made in China and are pandora-able. The datel tool battery is also useful, as it is pre-modded, and you just need a magic memory stick, which you can make on a computer if you look hard enough.

Edit: The Cheap Ass Gamer forum has a screenshot of a target misprint listing the Daxter bundle at 169.99$ rather than 200$, you can print it out and bring it to Best Buy / Circuit City for a price match. It also includes a 1 Gb memory stick that you can use to mod it.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
but, the real question is...
is it "compatible" with MAC?

(like if i can make the pandora thingy and put ISOs and stuff on it)

EDIT
So all i need is a mem stick, a spare battery, and a compy? or does it have to be a PC?
*crosses fingers*
i wanna be doin this
yaypsp.gif

n45800

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
but, the real question is...
is it "compatible" with MAC?

(like if i can make the pandora thingy and put ISOs and stuff on it)

Judging by the fact that I have a Mac, yes.
tongue.gif

It mounts the memory stick as a USB disk, you just drag/drop files over.

EDIT
So all i need is a mem stick, a spare battery, and a compy? or does it have to be a PC?
*crosses fingers*
i wanna be doin this
yaypsp.gif
The best method would be with another already-hacked PSP. You need 2 main things, a Pandora battery, and a Magic Memory stick.
To make a pandora battery, you need a fat psp battery (slim psp battery is un-hackable at the moment, it will brick it if you try, it needs to be made in china), or you can use the Datel Tool battery (pre-hacked).

To make the magic memory stick, you need a memory stick pro duo, and a hacked PSP to extract the files with. There are some PC programs that include the files, but they are hard to find as the code is owned by sony (firmware, etc.), making it illegal to distribute.
The simplest solution requires you to have a hacked fat PSP. If you can afford it, you can try buying/returning a used one. (just be sure to reset the battery back to a official battery after)

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
so i should just get a fat psp?
or get a slim, a fat, and a datel tool battery?
can u explain the easiest and cheapest method, in step by step explanations if you can?

the ds playing roms is easy...
Why?!?!
A magical memory stick?
Pandora's battery?
What is this?
I dont wanna spend over $220

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Playing ISOs on the PSP is almost easier than the DS given that all you need for the PSP is custom firmware and a decent sized memory stick.

IMO the easiest and cheapest method for you to play ISOs on a PSP is to buy one that is either already downgraded or purchase a phat that has an easily downgradable firmware.

That's not to say that you can't install custom firmware on a PSP Lite easily, it's just that there are a lot of components and a bit more knowledge required.

Seccom Masada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can get just the slim and the tool, and negate the need for the old PSP by aquiring though some means the files you would obtain from it. I think. What you do with those files and anything afterwards, I haven't reached that point yet. Probably cheaper to just get an old style, preferably pre-modded if you're looking for less money/effort.

Me, I've already spent around $350 (including shipping) on a slim, getting the special battery, two 4 gig and one 512mb sticks, and accessories. Yeah it's going to be a hassle, but I respect Sony's desire to fight the good fight.

Alastair

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
so i should just get a fat psp?
or get a slim, a fat, and a datel tool battery?
can u explain the easiest and cheapest method, in step by step explanations if you can?

the ds playing roms is easy...
Why?!?!
A magical memory stick?
Pandora's battery?
What is this?
I dont wanna spend over $220
If you really don't want to spend more than $220 go for an ugly fat worthless PSP. You should be able to find an already downgraded one and you could pick up a cheap MSPD but I'd strongly suggest tha you spend a bit more and get a Slim and "Lite" (Light). I've compared them both and they're not really that different, but the Slim definitely is the better choice.
yaypsp.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-