Hacking [Theory] Streetpass with Online Friends

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he means to wait for the 3dbrew website to update with more streetpass info.

and unfortunately Linux IS required to run a hostAPD last I checked, so it isn't really something everyone would be able to do.

I know this is offtopic but I hate that people love to propagate the rumor that people can't learn how to use linux or can't put it on their machines if they have an OS already. Linux is pretty easy to learn and there are many distributions that don't even require much command line use (Ubuntu for example) and they can be portable enough to boot off of a small thumbdrive and there are builds for virtually every hardware configuration. So anyone could easily use hostAPD

I'm just saying that not everyone has a machine that runs linux. And think, is it really worth it to buy a computer just to do this one thing?

You didn't even read my post did you, you can boot linux off of a thumbdrive, it doesn't matter if you have a different OS installed on the primary boot device

Reactions: 1 person

sychotix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he means to wait for the 3dbrew website to update with more streetpass info.

and unfortunately Linux IS required to run a hostAPD last I checked, so it isn't really something everyone would be able to do.

I know this is offtopic but I hate that people love to propagate the rumor that people can't learn how to use linux or can't put it on their machines if they have an OS already. Linux is pretty easy to learn and there are many distributions that don't even require much command line use (Ubuntu for example) and they can be portable enough to boot off of a small thumbdrive and there are builds for virtually every hardware configuration. So anyone could easily use hostAPD

I'm just saying that not everyone has a machine that runs linux. And think, is it really worth it to buy a computer just to do this one thing?

You didn't even read my post did you, you can boot linux off of a thumbdrive, it doesn't matter if you have a different OS installed on the primary boot device

What he says is true. Not to mention you can basically install Ubuntu like a program within windows and VM as well.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm Maybe one day someone will figure out how to spoof the street pass data with a wireless router. Then we'll be able to get tags when ever we want. People already figured out how to send pokemon to themselves with wifi. Once the 3ds and streetpass wireless proto-calls are figured out, a similar program probably could be made for tagging yourself with the pc and router.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People already figured out how to send pokemon to themselves with wifi.
That's completely unrelated. People just tricked the game into thinking someone was sending something, which could be done because the game already connected to WiFi.
That was also not a computer setting, but something you did to the router. StreetPass doesn't connect to the internet at all, so you would need some really expensive (for now impossible to get) hardware to plug into your computer.

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's completely unrelated. People just tricked the game into thinking someone was sending something, which could be done because the game already connected to WiFi.
That was also not a computer setting, but something you did to the router. StreetPass doesn't connect to the internet at all, so you would need some really expensive (for now impossible to get) hardware to plug into your computer.

Thats not quite how it works.
Streetpass and Wifi use the same signal and everything. Its just that your router doesn't send corrosponding data BACK to your 3ds's streetpass signal so nothing happens.
You could, in theory, just use any wireless router for this, or even modify the driver for the nintendo wifi usb connecter.

Reactions: 1 person

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thats not quite how it works.
Streetpass and Wifi use the same signal and everything. Its just that your router doesn't send corrosponding data BACK to your 3ds's streetpass signal so nothing happens.
You could, in theory, just use any wireless router for this, or even modify the driver for the nintendo wifi usb connecter.

this. plus the computer never tricked the pokemon game into thinking it was online.

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I made a mistake in my last post.

The reason that your computer doesn't connect to your 3ds is because the computer itself doesn't have a SSID, while a HostAPD lets you have one.
3ds Streetpass is like a constant wifi connection that is always searching for a specific SSID, which is, in this case, "Nintendo_3DS_continuous_scan_000"

The 3ds will ONLY send streetpass data to consoles with that SSID, and cuts of connection if corrosponding data isn't sent back.

Anything with the correct SSID can pick up the 3ds's streetpass packets.

mrseeker

Trophies
XP
I am quite new here, but I can tell for sure that your theory will work. Its the practical side that is still a bit of a problem, since I am not a C developer. However, if you are running linux with a wireless probe, and use some replay programs (like tcpreplay) it should work.

Have to tell you that the next part is going to be a bit difficult to understand, so please, if you dont understand what I am going to say next, I would recommend to read this first: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model
----
Lets say that everything that is sent by streetpass is considered "data". No decryption whatsoever, just raw data. This will result in the thing you see in the 3dbrew wiki. If we send this "data" towards the other person, and that person just relayed the data on to his/her 3DS, it would start communications. The trick is that the 3DS is using Wifi. This means that the 1st and 2nd OSI layer is always the same. The third layer is actually encrypted with WPA2. If we relay this communication to the other party, and he rebroadcasts it, it will actually trick the 3DS that your pc is actually another 3ds (which is actually on the other side of the world). Its basically a MITM attack.

Now for the stuff itself: You need a sniffer/relay/bridge. It needs to relay your communication towards the other person and send the communication back to the original guy over the internet. I think I can do this, but it requires sending directly to wifi (which I think is impossible with windows).

Also, has anyone tried to decrypt the communication using the streetpass ID? (It looks like a WPA encryption key to me). Anyone who captured the communication between 2 different 3DS systems would also be helpful to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo