Homebrew [No Longer Working] Community freeShop fork - open source eShop alternative

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
It's been a millennia since I last saw this thread...
Couldn't you make custom servers to download and install 3DS .cia files?
Technically you could, but if those .cia files contain copyrighted content, then it would most-certainly be piracy. A hub for homebrew CIAs (think something like TinyDB) is one thing, hosting paid content for free is another thing entirely.
K, just wondering. But wasn't FreeShop piracy in the first place?
Yes and no. The application required that the user provided their own title keys in order to download content from Nintendo's servers. Normally you do this by using GodMode9 to extract your own encTitleKeys.bin and you would then use that with freeShop. This had many practical uses, such as circumventing an eShop ban so you could still download the titles you had purchased. This was an intended use of the application, and as such was completely legal and not piracy. However, this is not how many people used the application. Most people downloaded an encTitleKeys.bin from the internet full of title keys that did not belong to them. Prior to the update that killed freeShop functionality, Nintendo's servers granted access to content even if the title keys didn't belong to the console they were being used on. You could simply show the CDN a key and it would let you in. Obvious security flaw is obvious, and this enabled the user to download games that they had not purchased. This use of the application was most-certainly not legal and was piracy. Nintendo ended up fixing this security flaw with the Switch eShop, and they backported this patch to the 3DS, effectively killing freeShop and all similar applications.

TL;DR: freeShop itself was not piracy, the title keys most people were using were piracy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Currently asked for mecha mote iinchou mm my best friend to be translated but I also want to ask...