Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MajinCry said:
ganon45 said:
Slyakin said:
How is the guy wrong? OF COURSE it needs to be priced competitively. How the fuck else would it sell?
The same way the ps3 was able to sell when it was $500.

The Xbox360 and Ps3 are around six years old. It would make no sense for them to price a brand new system at around the same amount as a system from which the price has been reduced a couple of times. Of course it isn't gonna cost $600 dollars or something like that, but it also wouldn't make sense to retail it at $200 or $150, which is what the 360 may run by the time the Wii U is released

Actually, it would dominate the market.

With all the hardware advancements, I'm not surprised if the console will go for around 300, give or take a hunnerd.
If the SDK is as good as Ol' Ninty says it is, then the hardware alone will make the 360 look like a underclocked PS2 compared to the gamecube.

But when the SDK comes in...If it is as simple, and easy to work with and code for as it is claimed, then it will make the hardware perform to it's maximum potential.

I.E

Here's an example for the PS2. It started out with sucky graphics, but over the years, it's been pushed to it's limits.
darkcloud_1_640w.jpg

the-top-10-best-looking-ps2-games-of-all-time-20100507030838022.jpg

The two games don't display much, but look at the difference in shaders, polygons and textures.

Catch mah drift?

What do that have to do with anything I said?

Revolution [9]

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ganon45 said:
Guild McCommunist said:
You don't have to be a genius or a bad analyst to realize that he's (EDIT) partially right.

Why would anyone spend like twice as much cash on a WiiU over a Xbox? Because it's Nintendo? Nintendo devotees will surely jump on the WiiU wagon once it starts rolling but everyone else is still gonna need convincing. It's offering essentially the same package that the Xbox 360 and PS3 are offering but with a higher price tag. Touch screens and motion controls won't win over people who have enjoyed playing their Xbox 360 and PS3.

The Wii also sold rather well because it was cheap. You get anything considered too pricey and casuals won't go for it. The Wii sold because of casual appeal and pricing.

I'd honestly say anything above $300 is really dangerous waters for the WiiU. You can get a new Xbox for $200. A new PS3 is $300. I would say that anything below a $300 price tag is impossible but we've been surprised by pricing before. How many of you expected the Vita to be $250? Or for the 3DS to get cut to $170?

Who said it was gonna cost twice as much as an xbox? Also how could a Nintendo "devotee" jump on a bandwagon? By being a devotee, that means that someone has been into something prior to it becoming a fad. Additionally I don't think Nintendo is that concerned with winning over Xbox360 and PS3 devotees, they are probably more concerned with continuing to bring in the casual gamer, and (hopefully) reestablishing itself as a more of a powerhouse amongst avid gamers and past supporters.

Also, I don't see the sense in comparing a brand new system to those that are past generation and soon to be phased out. If specs are the issue, the Xbox 360 and PS3 have closely identical specs, the PS3 sold at higher price for sometime yet still did pretty well in sales. Present me with the option of buying a six year old, soon to be phased out system for $200-$300, and a next generation console for $325-$400, I'd take the console that's being released vs. the one on the way out.
My, you are quite the sassy one. No one really has to say anything about the console costing twice as much since it's bound to happen. OK, look at it this way. The Wii U is supposedly the next generation while the 360 and PS3 still tread behind in the last generation. The idea of the new generation -- coupled with the cost of making the console while still maintaining a profit -- will probably cause the consumers (us) to pay a premium. The PS3 was a pretty good example of why a new generation system costed so much. Of course it still sold, but not many people bought it. That's why the price decreased soon afterward. Odds are, the same thing will happen to the Wii U: high entry level price. If it doesn't do so well, the price will obviously be dropped.

By the way, definitions are annoying. If you want to see it as "someone has been into something before it became a fad," then I don't see how Guild is wrong. In this case, the fad is defined as "everyone getting the Wii U." The people "into something" would be those who support Nintendo. I'm sure that when the 3DS came out, devotees instantly jumped to get it, regardless of what the actual product's features was (see, in this case, the fad is "everyone owning a 3DS.") Moreover, according to the press conferences, Nintendo was interested in gaining a more serious audience when it comes to gaming. That audience just happens to be 360 and PS3 users. If they wanted to continue to bring in the "casual gamer," they would have kept the Wii. Why not? It's been so profitable, and users haven't been complaining -- except for serious gamers, that is.

I see what you mean, but there's certainly a more polite way of approaching it. In my opinion, however, if there's a new-generation console and an older-generation console, but they perform the same, I would choose the older-generation one in a heartbeat. I'm not big on paying premiums for the name or for the sake of having "the newest thing."

ganon45

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Revolution [9 said:
]
ganon45 said:
Guild McCommunist said:
You don't have to be a genius or a bad analyst to realize that he's (EDIT) partially right.

Why would anyone spend like twice as much cash on a WiiU over a Xbox? Because it's Nintendo? Nintendo devotees will surely jump on the WiiU wagon once it starts rolling but everyone else is still gonna need convincing. It's offering essentially the same package that the Xbox 360 and PS3 are offering but with a higher price tag. Touch screens and motion controls won't win over people who have enjoyed playing their Xbox 360 and PS3.

The Wii also sold rather well because it was cheap. You get anything considered too pricey and casuals won't go for it. The Wii sold because of casual appeal and pricing.

I'd honestly say anything above $300 is really dangerous waters for the WiiU. You can get a new Xbox for $200. A new PS3 is $300. I would say that anything below a $300 price tag is impossible but we've been surprised by pricing before. How many of you expected the Vita to be $250? Or for the 3DS to get cut to $170?

Who said it was gonna cost twice as much as an xbox? Also how could a Nintendo "devotee" jump on a bandwagon? By being a devotee, that means that someone has been into something prior to it becoming a fad. Additionally I don't think Nintendo is that concerned with winning over Xbox360 and PS3 devotees, they are probably more concerned with continuing to bring in the casual gamer, and (hopefully) reestablishing itself as a more of a powerhouse amongst avid gamers and past supporters.

Also, I don't see the sense in comparing a brand new system to those that are past generation and soon to be phased out. If specs are the issue, the Xbox 360 and PS3 have closely identical specs, the PS3 sold at higher price for sometime yet still did pretty well in sales. Present me with the option of buying a six year old, soon to be phased out system for $200-$300, and a next generation console for $325-$400, I'd take the console that's being released vs. the one on the way out.
My, you are quite the sassy one. No one really has to say anything about the console costing twice as much since it's bound to happen. OK, look at it this way. The Wii U is supposedly the next generation while the 360 and PS3 still tread behind in the last generation. The idea of the new generation -- coupled with the cost of making the console while still maintaining a profit -- will probably cause the consumers (us) to pay a premium. The PS3 was a pretty good example of why a new generation system costed so much. Of course it still sold, but not many people bought it. That's why the price decreased soon afterward. Odds are, the same thing will happen to the Wii U: high entry level price. If it doesn't do so well, the price will obviously be dropped.

By the way, definitions are annoying. If you want to see it as "someone has been into something before it became a fad," then I don't see how Guild is wrong. In this case, the fad is defined as "everyone getting the Wii U." The people "into something" would be those who support Nintendo. I'm sure that when the 3DS came out, devotees instantly jumped to get it, regardless of what the actual product's features was (see, in this case, the fad is "everyone owning a 3DS.") Moreover, according to the press conferences, Nintendo was interested in gaining a more serious audience when it comes to gaming. That audience just happens to be 360 and PS3 users. If they wanted to continue to bring in the "casual gamer," they would have kept the Wii. Why not? It's been so profitable, and users haven't been complaining -- except for serious gamers, that is.

I see what you mean, but there's certainly a more polite way of approaching it. In my opinion, however, if there's a new-generation console and an older-generation console, but they perform the same, I would choose the older-generation one in a heartbeat. I'm not big on paying premiums for the name or for the sake of having "the newest thing."

When I was talking about the double price thing, I wasn't saying it in a literal sense, it was rhetorical. In context to what I am saying, fad=trend/popular amongst your market consumer across the board that may be "into something" by the fact that it's popular. Secondly, Nintendo has always had a serous audience with it's past consoles. And just because they said that doesn't mean that they're trying to appeal to x-box and ps gamers, that's your interpretation of it. Thirdly, your causal gamer/average consumer are usually the ones looking for the "newest thing", hence the word casual. Why do you think they're featuring the touch screen on their controller? For the "serious" gamer? Also, core gamers who buy the next thing in the gaming don't buy it for the name sake or for having the "newest thing", it's because they're gamers and appreciate the advancement. Which is similar to why people buy sequels to games. If you would buy the older generation console, by all means do and enjoy the wavering game support. Oh, and if you're looking for nice, eat a crumpette or something and spare me with that pretentious, marshmellowy junk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning...