Hacking The "Which flashcart to get?" Info Thread

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
inhuman19 said:
Does anyone know if flashcarts work with Nintendo wifi(playing roms online)? If so, which ones?
I'm also looking for a flashcart that supports time events in games like Pokemon and works with a microSDHC card.
Price is not a problem. The flashcart must support all NDS games and have frequent updates.

CycloDS and DSTT work with wifi games as well.

inhuman19

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
impizkit said:
inhuman19 said:
Does anyone know if flashcarts work with Nintendo wifi(playing roms online)? If so, which ones?
I'm also looking for a flashcart that supports time events in games like Pokemon and works with a microSDHC card.
Price is not a problem. The flashcart must support all NDS games and have frequent updates.

CycloDS and DSTT work with wifi games as well.
Anything for the DSi?

Chubbo1793

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
milkbot said:
With the CycloDSi Evolution coming out soon, should I wait for that or get a DSTWO?

This is my opinion, but I'd say get a DSTWO. Team Cyclops flashcards are too expensive, like $50, and it probably wouldn't have as great of features as the DSTWO has. The DSTWO can emulate GBA games and SNES games, not perfectly yet still great. They're going to have DSi mode on the CycloDSi, but SuperCard might be able to develop that as well. Plus, the DSTWO has an on-board CPU which helps make it play exclusive homebrew for it IIRC, and other features.

Hope this helps. =)

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Chubbo1793 said:
milkbot said:
With the CycloDSi Evolution coming out soon, should I wait for that or get a DSTWO?

This is my opinion, but I'd say get a DSTWO. Team Cyclops flashcards are too expensive, like $50, and it probably wouldn't have as great of features as the DSTWO has. The DSTWO can emulate GBA games and SNES games, not perfectly yet still great. They're going to have DSi mode on the CycloDSi, but SuperCard might be able to develop that as well. Plus, the DSTWO has an on-board CPU which helps make it play exclusive homebrew for it IIRC, and other features.

I'd wait and see the first reviews made by GBAtemp or others. The first batch of iEvo's should be shipped on February the 3rd. That's only 2 weeks from now. If the DSi mode has been made available for the iEvo, it should play native GBA (with the ARM7 processor) and possibly snes and such with the DSi processors, which work faster than the DSTwo processor without the lag of using the slot. It might even be possible to load games and such from the DSi SD slot. Everything is possible at the moment so I'd wait and see if the card gives more features than the DSTwo. As for the DSTwo, not all the features work as well as people might seem to say they work.

As for the price, modariffic lists it at 54.00 AUD (http://www.modariffic.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36&products_id=93). It might even go cheaper at Chinese stores. If you consider the DSTwo at around 60 AUD at that store, it might even be possible that the iEvo's alot cheaper in other stores (for exmple lightake has DSTwo at $36..).

-Qtis

ps. The DSTwo might be a nice card, but currently I'd wait a few weeks if you're not in desperate need to get a new flashcart.

Gwendolyr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So everyone seems to be saying that DSTWO is like the best card ever, but I'm worried about the battery life of my DS lite. Is it significantly faster at draining the battery than, say, the EZ Flash?

I'm mostly after a SDHC supported card that can play DSL (or DSi) games, with cheats if possible? I'm not much for using my DS to play music or whatever, cost isn't an issue (but battery life is).

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Gwendolyr said:
So everyone seems to be saying that DSTWO is like the best card ever, but I'm worried about the battery life of my DS lite. Is it significantly faster at draining the battery than, say, the EZ Flash?

I'm mostly after a SDHC supported card that can play DSL (or DSi) games, with cheats if possible? I'm not much for using my DS to play music or whatever, cost isn't an issue (but battery life is).

Go for the CycloDS iEvolution (to be released very soon). It is very promising and the build quality before has been fabulous. Works on the DSi and is able to play native DSi games in DSi mode, something that other cards aren't able to do at the moment.

-Qtis

Gwendolyr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I suppose that's true, but the 3DS is also going to be released soon. I'd rather not wait and spend extra on a card that may only see limited use. Is the CycloDS evo much worse compared to the ievo?

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
cardchart.gif

Note that the prices given are from chinese shops.
If you order from a shop in another country it's more expensive.[*]The original R4.
NOT "R4-III Upgrade", NOT "R4-SDHC", NOT "R4i NDSLL", NOT "R4 Red", NOT "R4 King"...
NOT ANYTHING ELSE WITH "R4" IN THE NAME! JUST "R4 Revolution For DS".

The cheap card for somebody that just wants to play games on a DS/Lite.

[*]R4i Gold
The cheap card for somebody that wants to play games on a DSi with more storage.

[*]Acekard 2i
Mid-range card for people that want to play games on a DSi/XL with some extra features.

[*]EZ-Flash Vi
Higher-end card with even more features.

[*]Supercard DSTwo
Pretty much the ultimate card right now.
  • DS / DS Lite
    The card will work on an original (fat) DS or a DS Lite.
  • DSi / DSi XL
    The card will work on a DSi or DSi XL as well.
  • Game Updates
    Firmware updates are what let cards play newer games, these are the life-blood of the card.
  • SDHC
    SDHC refers to SD cards larger than 2GB (gigabytes). If there's no SDHC support, you can only use SD cards up to 2GB.
  • WiFi Update
    The Acekard 2i can update it's cheats (and get minor bug fixes) over WiFi without having to connect to a computer.
  • Auto Ap Bypass
    Some carts have special features to ignore AP in most games, letting you play them without having to wait for a firmware update first. The Acekard only has partial support for this right now.
  • RTS
    The Real-Time Save (Save State) function lets you save and reload your game progress at any moment you wish.
  • In-Game Guide
    You can pull up text files and images in-game, in order to check a walkthrough or map you downloaded at any time during a game.
  • Slow Motion
    The card lets you slow down the game speed as you wish.
  • In-Game Cheats
    The card lets you create and modify cheats while the game is running.
  • Special Homebrew
    The card has multiple pieces of special homebrew, such as it's own GBA and SNES emulators, as well as text/PDF reader and video player.
  • Battery Life
    Unfortunately the DSTwo's extra CPU and RAM (which give it the special features) eat into the battery life a bit.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
zizer said:
Do you know why cyclo isn't on that chart?

I would say that he doesn't know since he seems to be pretty new here considering the post count. My guess would be the short time that TC wasn't present very well?

As for CycloDS Evo and iEvo comparison, the iEvo is an upgraded Evolution with DSi mode unlocked (though not 100% funtionable since it is a new area in homebrew and the likes). Works on both the DS and the DSi unlike the original Evolution.

-Qtis

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Gwendolyr said:
The only reason I've been given is the price? Which is not particularly a dealbreaker if I am getting a good flashcart for it.

Well for the CycloDS Evolution, all should be checked green except, DSi support, WiFi update and AAP (I don't currently have any personal experience with AAP to understand the meaning per se since my DSTwo and AK2i are in the post somewhere around the world). DSi support will be available with the iEvolution. The first post of this topic helps quite a lot. It has quite a good collection of pros and cons of different carts.

If someone wants to concur above, please do so. I started looking again into the DS homebrew/flashcart scene just about a month ago. Before that was when HG/SS was released (but I had the game already and used the Walker thingy so the updates weren't that interesting..
tongue.gif
)

-Qtis

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Serious Cut down to bare bones of question:

Acekard 2i(2.1) versus CycloDS on DSlite:

Things that matter: Games and game compatibility, minor point of battery life. Very minor point on homebrew.

Give other, keep other, witch one of them is more worth to keep with things that matter to me in mind?

puckthegoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a DS lite and I just bought a R4i SDHC last week. It's turns out I have a connection problem so after messing around with paper and cardboard for a few hours I'm able to get it to work. For a little while. Eventually it'll freeze and when I restart it it says there's no card and I have to fidget with it some more until it starts working again. After a couple of days I was getting pretty sick of that so I went online and bought an Acekard 2i thinking it might work better. I can't even get the paper trick to work with this one.

So my question for you guys is this: Is there any card out there that doesn't have trouble connecting to a DS lite or am I going to have to go buy another DS entirely?

PS: My pins are all in the correct position and corrosion free.

saikkussu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
puckthegoat said:
I have a DS lite and I just bought a R4i SDHC last week. It's turns out I have a connection problem so after messing around with paper and cardboard for a few hours I'm able to get it to work. For a little while. Eventually it'll freeze and when I restart it it says there's no card and I have to fidget with it some more until it starts working again. After a couple of days I was getting pretty sick of that so I went online and bought an Acekard 2i thinking it might work better. I can't even get the paper trick to work with this one.

So my question for you guys is this: Is there any card out there that doesn't have trouble connecting to a DS lite or am I going to have to go buy another DS entirely?

PS: My pins are all in the correct position and corrosion free.

I had your problem not long ago. For me, I ended up having to get a new dsl because of 5+ years of gameplay and general wear and tear. However I had connectivity problems will all my legit retail carts also. The only one I cold ever play was PokemonSS cause it was a thicker cart and even then I had to use a steak knife once in a while to get the contacts in line. Try your cart on a different, preferably "younger", ds and see if it works. if it does, its most likely the ds's contacts and not the carts. If You don't think its the contacts- then it could be bad connection-itis. The pins would be fine but if the power to them is faulty then they won't be able to work properly. Take it in to a specialty shop and get a good look at the wires and curcuits. The board itself is thin and lots of use means lots of flexing stress which is bad because connections break.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-