awssk8er

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since we don't have a ton of information on the WiiU, I guess this thread is more speculation:

What I don't understand is, how you can play games on the controller's screen. Nintendo boasts two things about the WiiU but they contradict each other:

1) The second screen adds to the experience. The example they use is for faster item selection (Ex. Zelda).

2) If someone needs to use the TV, not a problem! You can just move your game to the screen on the controller (Ex. New Super Mario Bros. Mii video).

So if you play on the controller's screen, now we have a problem. There's only one screen. So where's your convenient item screen go? Is there going to be a menu button to access the inventory screen? Or will no all games use the touch screen? I don't know if they've said anything about this, but I've been wondering it since it has been announced.

This seems like a pointless worry I me I think the saying "There's no such thing as a dumb question" applies here. I just fail to see the point of the question is all. Nintendo knows what they are doing they've been doing this for a long time sure they have had there hits and miss with systems like the Virtualboy but I look at that as an experiment gone wrong for what is now the 3DS. Just have some patience guys, E3 2012 is right around the corner!
Just some speculation on those future announcements. Nothing wrong with that.

RichardLaughter

Trophies
XP
i think you guys worry way to much :) could using a screen for a map / inv really screw things up that bad? the controller does have a start button....last i checked the start button is used to pause a game, and personally i think the screen will deffinatly save some time and annoyance. i hate pausing to use items or switch inventory. pausing should be to pause, and inventory should be more convenient to get to.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-looks at his DS, sees many games that have "quick inventories" on the bottom screen, sees most of them have full menus when you pause the game-

I'm confused what everyone/anyone is worried about. You do realize that Nintendo has previous experience with this stuff right?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
No love for the ButtPad Pro? :unsure:
It's rather stupid, I can see it being the butt of a lot of jokes.
And you'd make a complete arse of yourself using it.

Guys, guys... it's all about how you sell it.

HgqgU.jpg

:tpi:

Reactions: 4 people

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

flamepanther

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one who always assumed that the whole "playing on the controller if you can't use your TV" thing is designed only for Wii games?
In case you didn't notice, in the Wii U trailer shows the guy playing NSMB Wii on the controller, and a girl playing Wii Fit, not any Wii U game demos or anything.

Besides think of it this way: 99% of Wii U games WILL utilize the screen on the WiiU controller, whether it's just a picture of the game, a little extra menu, etc.
I mean you won't use a controller with all of its space taken up by nothingness, that's for sure.
The original Wii trailer showed people playing NES games with motion controls. It's just a mock up, not an actual demonstration. When Wii games are all you have available to show off the controller screen, that's what you use.

Reactions: 1 person

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one who always assumed that the whole "playing on the controller if you can't use your TV" thing is designed only for Wii games?
In case you didn't notice, in the Wii U trailer shows the guy playing NSMB Wii on the controller, and a girl playing Wii Fit, not any Wii U game demos or anything.

Besides think of it this way: 99% of Wii U games WILL utilize the screen on the WiiU controller, whether it's just a picture of the game, a little extra menu, etc.
I mean you won't use a controller with all of its space taken up by nothingness, that's for sure.
The original Wii trailer showed people playing NES games with motion controls. It's just a mock up, not an actual demonstration. When Wii games are all you have available to show off the controller screen, that's what you use.
This... Plus the whole concept that you could mimick motion controls on the Wii U tablet is just silly. Unless you somehow assume they are holding the tablet while simultaneously holding a Wiimote/nunchuck.

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, technically, since the tablet controller has an accelerometer, you could use it for wii games like Mario kart, or games like New Super Mario Bros. That only require shaking and tilting the controller (and pretty much any other wii game that requires only holding the wiimote sideways). But yeah, aside from that, it would be impractical

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay