Hardware The thing I don't understand about the WiiU

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Why does it look like some sort of sex machine? And wheres the screen! I think your info may be inaccurate here guild...

Who needs a screen when you have four joysticks?
Mental Projection. No need for a screen.

The innovation is so strong it penetrates you. 3D. In your head. And many other places.

Reactions: 2 people

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NEW WIIU CONTROLLER LEAKED!
Nintendo-3DS-Circle-Pad-Pro-Add-on-Gets-U-S-Release-Date-and-Price.jpg

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No love for the ButtPad Pro? :unsure:
That would actually be really cool; it would make you feel more involved in the game, just like Virtual Boy! And we all know how awesome Virtual Boy is![/Sarcasm]
YEAH! LMAO, More Vitual Boy bashing jokes! They are not totally stale and unfunny at all! [/Sarcasm]
But on a less trollish matter, I do think guildes design was much better then the buttpro.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
No love for the ButtPad Pro? :unsure:
That would actually be really cool; it would make you feel more involved in the game, just like Virtual Boy! And we all know how awesome Virtual Boy is![/Sarcasm]
The Virtual Boy was great, the only problem with it was the lack of success, resulting in no games.
The controller was great, the graphics were great and the potential was great.
Now sit back down!

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Am I the only one who always assumed that the whole "playing on the controller if you can't use your TV" thing is designed only for Wii games?
In case you didn't notice, in the Wii U trailer shows the guy playing NSMB Wii on the controller, and a girl playing Wii Fit, not any Wii U game demos or anything.

Besides think of it this way: 99% of Wii U games WILL utilize the screen on the WiiU controller, whether it's just a picture of the game, a little extra menu, etc.
I mean you won't use a controller with all of its space taken up by nothingness, that's for sure.

D

Deleted_171835

The Virtual Boy was great, the only problem with it was the lack of success, resulting in no games.
The controller was great, the graphics were great and the potential was great.
Now sit back down!
No, the Virtual Boy sucked. It was bulky, only supported red and black, had an abysmal game library and and was a portable system that wasn't really portable. It was ahead of its time. Although the system did lead into the 3DS we have now.

Am I the only one who always assumed that the whole "playing on the controller if you can't use your TV" thing is designed only for Wii games?
In case you didn't notice, in the Wii U trailer shows the guy playing NSMB Wii on the controller, and a girl playing Wii Fit, not any Wii U game demos or anything.

Besides think of it this way: 99% of Wii U games WILL utilize the screen on the WiiU controller, whether it's just a picture of the game, a little extra menu, etc.
I mean you won't use a controller with all of its space taken up by nothingness, that's for sure.
That was NSMB Mii (well a tech demo), it wasn't on the Wii. If Wii U games do end up using the controller, they could simply map that to a 'Start' or 'Select' button like games have been doing for the past decade. And if they use the controller in a manner that it's essential to the gameplay, then they can simply not allow those games to be played on the controller or have a small section of the screen reserved for it.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yes...but I bet at least 60-80% of the games won't use the extra screen for something that really REQUIRES a second screen (including all the multiplatform games). In fact, I think more than a few third party titles will offer the option to not use the extra screen (if not because it's counterintuitive for gamers to check the two screens at once, then to save battery life).

So in the end, I think the option to continue playing on the controller screen is exactly because nintendo expects/anticipates that the extra screen won't be the next revolution in gaming. By allowing developers to keep everything on one screen AND to play on the handheld screen, it'll be pretty hard to claim that the extra screen won't be used.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes...but I bet at least 60-80% of the games won't use the extra screen for something that really REQUIRES a second screen (including all the multiplatform games). In fact, I think more than a few third party titles will offer the option to not use the extra screen (if not because it's counterintuitive for gamers to check the two screens at once, then to save battery life).

So in the end, I think the option to continue playing on the controller screen is exactly because nintendo expects/anticipates that the extra screen won't be the next revolution in gaming. By allowing developers to keep everything on one screen AND to play on the handheld screen, it'll be pretty hard to claim that the extra screen won't be used.

Well "require a screen" as in actually needing it or "requiring a screen" to map a menu to?

No offense, but I don't see myself paying like $300 (or however much it costs) for a new console that plays basically the same games as my other consoles, but I get to touch my menus now. I mean it's just a menu, unless it's some game which doesn't pause during menus (like I think Dark Souls does this but it's not coming to the Wii U anyway so who gives a shit), I won't find myself really needing a touchscreen menu.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Real reason the Wii U has a touchscreen controller?, for the future Nintendo DS player via attachment or VC.

Why would anyone want that?

People complained about the image quality of the DSi XL because it blew up the games by a little bit. Now imagine that on a tablet sized screen and god-knows what your television size is.

Other than that, you might as well buy a DS for dirt cheap anyway or just use your 3DS (which has the circle pad anyway).

Only reason I could see it is for some very rare games that would use two circle pads (like Fighting Fantasy could use it). But even then I'm not gonna go through all that trouble to play Fighting Fantasy.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since we don't have a ton of information on the WiiU, I guess this thread is more speculation:

What I don't understand is, how you can play games on the controller's screen. Nintendo boasts two things about the WiiU but they contradict each other:

1) The second screen adds to the experience. The example they use is for faster item selection (Ex. Zelda).

2) If someone needs to use the TV, not a problem! You can just move your game to the screen on the controller (Ex. New Super Mario Bros. Mii video).

So if you play on the controller's screen, now we have a problem. There's only one screen. So where's your convenient item screen go? Is there going to be a menu button to access the inventory screen? Or will no all games use the touch screen? I don't know if they've said anything about this, but I've been wondering it since it has been announced.

This seems like a pointless worry I me I think the saying "There's no such thing as a dumb question" applies here. I just fail to see the point of the question is all. Nintendo knows what they are doing they've been doing this for a long time sure they have had there hits and miss with systems like the Virtualboy but I look at that as an experiment gone wrong for what is now the 3DS. Just have some patience guys, E3 2012 is right around the corner!

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

Well "require a screen" as in actually needing it or "requiring a screen" to map a menu to?

No offense, but I don't see myself paying like $300 (or however much it costs) for a new console that plays basically the same games as my other consoles, but I get to touch my menus now. I mean it's just a menu, unless it's some game which doesn't pause during menus (like I think Dark Souls does this but it's not coming to the Wii U anyway so who gives a shit), I won't find myself really needing a touchscreen menu.
I'm afraid it'll be mostly "require a screen to map a menu to". And I understand your doubts about buying it if this turns out to be true. But I think this controller won't be too much of a difference with how the wiimote turned out for the wii: nintendo will develop and utilize a few very unique game mechanics with both the screens which will be used in some minigames (pretty much what was demonstrated in the demo)...and most third party developers will try to port the kind of games they regularly make and use a kind of gimmicky way to use the extra screen (which will most likely be inventory, some kind of game map or menu...just as you said).

I have my doubts the extra screen will make any major change in what sort of games will be mainstream. The only exception I'm hoping for is RTS'es (a touchscreen and a large screen would be ideal for that). But I doubt it...it was more likely the wiimote would cause a whole series of awesome swordfighting games...and we all know how many were actually turned out to be made. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool