Gaming The PSP FAQs thread!

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
If you don't feel the need to update then don't! (I'm still on 3.71 M33-4) If anything your PSX emulation compatibility will be improved by the access to three additional versions of pops. Savegame-Deemer will get around all issues of save games corrupting as you switch firmwares (of course you'll need to use it on your current firmware which the saves were made on).

All the other homebrew should work fine...the kernels remain essentially the same. Snes9xTYLsmcm Test 5 27/05/08 is about the best there is (especially in conjunction with a good Speed Hacks dat).

If you do run into any problems you can get back to your previous firmware very, very easily by using Hellcat's Recovery flasher. (No pandora needed!)

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ah, well that's very handy, thank you. :3 It's just, Sony is starting to put out games that force at least 4.01 FW, and while I've yet to run afoul of one yet, I don't really want to be denied playing that game because I'm too stubborn. =P I'll definitely keep this in mind but keep things as they are now, thanks.
biggrin.gif

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a badass thread. Even more so because i'm getting a PSP for x-mas from Wife® and, while i've dropped some CFWs onto a couple of other PSPs, i'll need help when i get mine (just because things have changed so much since i did em a couple of years back heh.)

Thanks for the wonderful FAQs collection!
smile.gif

Stryker412

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to start reading up on PSX emulation. One thing though, can I take existing games and make my own ISOs, will a normal data .iso be fine or is there something special that needs to be done to have the PSP and POPsloader to recognize it?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
All you need to do is rip your disc's to IMG files with something like Alcohol, and then take those IMG files and convert them to eboot's either using a GUI such as PSX2PSP or Red Squirrels Popstation (amongst many!) or a command line popstation.

It's very simple and if you are able to rip a disc then simply converting the ISO to an eboot is just as easy.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I'd like to sya thank you to everyone for contributing your questions. You guys have asked some very good questions that I'm sure a lot of people were wondering about. I'm at school right now, but I promise I will update with a lot of new info tonight, as well as answer as many questions as possible.

Also, I'd like to thank you again xist for sticking around and helping me answer questions and gather information!

As xist said, there's really not much of a risk in updating, but not much of a point in updating either. The only thing that 5.00 added that was new to the scene was PSN access, which I find stupid because if you have CFW, why the hell would you want to BUY a game? xD However, it won't break your PSX compatibility or homebrew compatibility as far as I know.

Really, the only reason I ever update is because of themes. I use CTF themes all the time, and when a new firmware comes out, the theme creators usually begin making themes for that version. If some really good themes are created, then I usually update. If not, then I stay at the previous version. (Which is what I'm doing right now; there's no good themes for 5.00m33, so I'm staying at 4.01m33)

sfunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, thanks for this post. I already knew a fair bit of the information here but I still learned a few things and got a few useful links out of it too. I'm sure many others will find this a useful post too.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Dark Lord said:
Is there a cheat file for PSP?

http://cwcheat.consoleworld.org/

QUOTE(War @ Dec 4 2008, 02:28 AM) PSP games will only output to external monitors or TVs in progressive scan mode, so televisions incapable of supporting progressive scan will not display PSP games.

http://foosa.do.am/

Might want to specify that those are CFW only (Which should be obvious, since they're plugins).

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thanks for quick response megaman. cft themes seem harder to install, any advantages to them? should also maybe add how to delete themes properly, and you never answered if 4.01 themes work on 5.00? should also write down how to upgrade cfw as im new and have no idea

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Lol, I guess I'm Mega Man? Anyway, 4.01 themes don't work with 5.00. Whatever firmware you're on is the firmware your themes must be on. To delete themes, you go to the PSP Theme menu, then below "apply" it says "delete"... you click that and confirm...

I prefer ctf themes because they allow for huge customization.
For example:

dghztl.jpg

snap029nc7.png

peirwhiteom7.png

Those are all .ctf themes.

Edit: And as for upgrading, I can't remember which firmware it was (maybe 4.01m33?) but Dark_AleX added a feature that from now on, you can update your firmware through the PSPs official "firmware update" button. Instead of downloading and installing official firmware, it downloads custom firmware. After downloading, you just go to your games and there should be a file in there that says firmware update. You click it, and it runs and begins to update your firmware.

ENDscape

REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DaMummy said:
thanks for quick response megaman. cft themes seem harder to install, any advantages to them? should also maybe add how to delete themes properly, and you never answered if 4.01 themes work on 5.00? should also write down how to upgrade cfw as im new and have no idea
Adding ctf themes meant for other fw will result in semi brick or menu not showing. So remember to use themes working for your fw. And the ptf ones works on any firmware since they're more like official themes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo