Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tinymonkeyt said:
Loved the series but I'm a bit hesitant about watching the movie.
I am feeling the same way. I enjoyed watching the anime series. It made me laugh, and I enjoyed it. But with this movie coming out, I am not very amazed at it. It just doesn't seem... Right. I am too used to seeing it as an animated series, not in real life.

Just like the DragonBal Z movie. It looked horrible IMO .__.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WildWon said:
Well, let us know how it is. We'll be snagging it as soon as it's out (in all manners
tongue.gif
, and yes, that includes a purchase as soon as available).

It's called pirating, bro. Welcome to the 21st century
wink.gif

Well, I thought the cartoon looked stupid, but yet again it was past my demographic. And I don't even like M. Night Shag-a-lot. Not interested in it.

But yeah, I thought the James Cameron Avatar movie was actually this for a while (since I saw this trailer before any Avatar stuff). I kept thinking "Revolutionary? IT'S FUCKING LAST AIRBENDER. AND M. NIGHT SHAMALAN". Sigh...

Not interested.

Dagatahas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lazycus said:
I'm confused. What difference does it make if the actors are asian or not? As long as it stays true to the cartoon and the actors /special effects can make the bending believable (which from the trailers looks quite promising) who cares what race they are?

Hopefully the kid that got the part won out in the auditions by talent and not because of some producer/focus group decision. Cinema has had a history of casting caucasians to play asian/ethnic roles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowface) which I can understand in earlier decades but nowadays it just seems odd.

I have no idea if Ang was stated as being "Asian" in the cartoon, although the setting seemed to imply it. Aside from a LOL WTF moment when I found out about it it's all the same to me.

I've seen a few disjointed episodes of the cartoon series and as such I do not really have any background to judge the movie against. I'd like to watch the movie to see how good it is.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently re-doing my kids' rooms and the computer now doubles as a tv, so yesterday we decided to watch something, and the kids picked 1st season Avatar. We ended up watching, like, five episodes, we were all glued to it, almost forgot about dinner. It really is a great show.

I didn't notice the cartoons having any definable races, beyond the fictitious elemental ones, so all I care about is that the actors are good and the script is good, and hopefully a good movie will come of it.

I've got mixed feeling's about M. Night doing the movie, he's the definition of a "hit or miss" director. I hope it doesn't go dragonball on us, but time will tell on that I guess.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i posted a blog last year about teh one day i watched about 9 episodes and then spend another 4 hours on gbatemp... I had no life that day.

@ Guild... i thought you would like this kinda thing...

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tinymonkeyt said:
Loved the series but I'm a bit hesitant about watching the movie. Like Dragonball Z, the actors portraying these characters aren't even Asian (or well, some are Indian, but I'm not talking about ASIA asian, you know?) so I don't expect it to be a great turnout. Not saying I won't be happy if it does though. I'm probably going to wait and see what other people say before wasting spending $10 on a movie ticket.
Chi Chi was asian

does nationality really matter an actor is an actor you should be pissed that they fucked up DB (not DBZ fool) not that the cast isnt entirely "ASIA asian"

be hesitant becuase its M not because its RL and non asian

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
mthrnite said:
I didn't notice the cartoons having any definable races, beyond the fictitious elemental ones, so all I care about is that the actors are good and the script is good, and hopefully a good movie will come of it.
I think you need to watch a bit more of it before making that call, as the series goes on you get a strong feel for the cultural diversity between the different nations. If the Fire Nation don't throw full-on oriental firework festivals or the Water Tribe don't live a simple life on the icepacks then it's just not going to feel right. It doesn't really matter what the actor looks like I suppose, as long as they don't botch that up.

I'll admit I haven't read much about the film to avoid spoilers for the cartoon. Season 3 only came out on DVD here last week so I'd rather watch that first. (as an off-topic aside, my experiment into what it's like to legally obtain and watch a series has been pretty damn poor. If these companies are going to complain about internet piracy they really need to get their act together when it comes to availability.)

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like M. Night ("MaNite" lol) but i can't wait to see this movie and his take on it. I have high hopes for a new genre for him. (ps, i lie, i loved Lady In The Water, but other than that, can't stand his movies).

Just saw an extended trailer tonight during Human Target (GREAT series btw
wink.gif
) and it looks soooo fucking cool. Seriously.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm seems I missed a trailer. This one is longer, about 2 minutes and it shows a little more of the actors.

Theatrical Trailer.

You hear new characters talk and you see Princess Yue in the Water Oasis. The trailer shows some repeated footage but new shots as well.On that page, there are Youtube comments saying that M. Night FINISHED The Last Airbender and is working on the new sequel(s). Apparently there may be 2 more, one for each book. I can't wait to see Toph.

Also I thought this video was cool: Superbowl Trailer Analysis

ctkxtreme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, at first I was skeptical too about this. But seeing the newest trailer, it doesn't look THAT bad. As long as they can pull off the characters. On the other hand, (fan rage mode in 3,2,1) GFEHJKFGVBEJH IROH ISNT FAT ZUKO DOESN'T HAVE HIS SCAR YUE'S HAIR IS BLONDE OH GOD THE WHOLE MOVIE IS RUINED

Okay, I'm done.

Also yeah I'd imagine they'd get to work immediately on the next movie, because these kids will grow up (and the whole series takes place in a year).

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea where i got the Feb release date from, so this whole July thing is badass. @jonjon, thats the trailer i saw during Human Target (they showed the whole thing on Fox)....

After watching it again, it looks so badass. I can't wait to see it.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WildWon said:
I have no idea where i got the Feb release date from, so this whole July thing is badass. @jonjon, thats the trailer i saw during Human Target (they showed the whole thing on Fox)....

After watching it again, it looks so badass. I can't wait to see it.
Ohhhh i see but that date seemed reasonable for a possible leak ;D and Human Target is a wonderful series btw

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From what I see in the trailers everything is spot on from the cartoon. Love the Avatar's arrow tatoos and the nice blue glow entering the Avatar state.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1