Hardware The Improved GameCube Adapter from Mayflash

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I just thought of something: can't Nintendo release an update or patch for Smash 4 that will render all 3rd party USB adapters, like MayFlash, useless? Is that a possibility?

Unlikely. What the Mayflash adapter does is mimic the official adapter. It behaves like the official adapter and works like the official adapter. It's likely that software has no way of telling whether it's Mayflash or Nintendo, since the Mayflash internally reports itself as being a Nintendo adapter. I wouldn't be concerned about this at all.

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Unlikely. What the Mayflash adapter does is mimic the official adapter. It behaves like the official adapter and works like the official adapter. It's likely that software has no way of telling whether it's Mayflash or Nintendo, since the Mayflash internally reports itself as being a Nintendo adapter. I wouldn't be concerned about this at all.
I've had a few 3rd party PS3 controllers become unusable on my PS3 after updating it, though. Don't those identify themselves as official Sony PS3 controllers themselves?

flamepanther

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully true. Besides that, Nintendo typically does not bother with intentionally blocking third-party accessories other than cheat devices and flash kits. There are tons of unlicensed controllers that don't mimic Nintendo's with 100% accuracy and could be blocked right now. And yet they aren't.

Moreover, Nintendo was never going to make fortunes on the adaptor. They make less than the $20 MSRP on it, and they can maaaaaaaybe hope to sell you two of them. There's a lot more money in selling the actual controllers, and again, Nintendo still isn't blocking the unlicensed ones.

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
One thing I hated about the GC Adapter is that the turbo mode kept being activated accidentally, and couldn't turn it off after rapidly pressing the turbo button on the adapter twice...

crediar

Possiblenator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Actually you can be 100% sure it will have a different VID and PID so it's quite easy to detect it if they wanted to.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Put it another way: any adapter, even made by Nintendo, can and will eventually fail (Murphy's law). Your loss is smaller if your Mayflash adapter quits working. They're much more likely to be available new in a few years time and cost little. Having a Nintendo adapter go bad will be frustrating on many levels because there's no guarantee Nintendo will still be making them new in a few years time and prices only go up for Nintendo products as they age.

You're ignoring that if you bought a Nintendo adapter and it went bad (and given they way Nintendo builds stuff, I wouldn't take failure as inevitable, at least not in your lifetime) anyway, if it went bad, and somehow you couldn't replace it with another Nintendo adapter, so what? Then you replace it with a Mayflash, same as you would if you bought a Mayflash and it went bad. There's no reason you'd have to replace like for like.

I'm not saying don't go for a Mayflash, given the way things are you may not have an option, just if you have a chance to get the Nintendo one, don't skip it just because it might break and be hard to replace some day in the distant future.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
You're ignoring that if you bought a Nintendo adapter and it went bad (and given they way Nintendo builds stuff, I wouldn't take failure as inevitable, at least not in your lifetime) anyway, if it went bad, and somehow you couldn't replace it with another Nintendo adapter, so what? Then you replace it with a Mayflash, same as you would if you bought a Mayflash and it went bad. There's no reason you'd have to replace like for like-
That's exactly my point. Nintendo's adapter is worth more than its retail price because of the scarcity and uncertainty in availability.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1