Hacking The general VC rom injection thread (NES,GB/C/A etc.)

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried running PocketNES or Goomba Color via VC? I know that the concept of running an emulator within an emulator is counterintuitive, but it could be an alternative to having dozens of injected VC roms if it works well enough.

Reactions: Margen67 and Celice

alexenochs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
]
Decided to google the Camerica mapper and found out that "It's largely a clone of UNROM". There are some difficult exceptions, but Micro Machines doesn't appear to be one of them, so it works fine with this header:
Code:
544E4553062000000200000000000000
(no spaces for pasting into a hex editor, or: )
Code:
54 4E 45 53 06 20 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Lol no flaws at all? No gfx glitching or anything?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Edit: can't have been very attentive the first time - yeah, there's some graphical glitches, nothing that impedes gameplay.
Is MM known for emulation problems? I remember it having glitches on my android gadget too.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had a go at making a NES -> TNES converter. I tried to keep it simple, the code is probably terrible and ugly, but it seems to work. Zip contains the source (should compile on windows and *nix) and a mac binary (compiled on 32bit snow leopard, would presumably run on 64bit and newer os x versions). I borrowed some simple file access functions from makerom because I'm lazy, thanks 3DSGuy. It supports the mappers listed earlier in the thread, more can be added easily as they're figured out.

It runs from the command line,
tnes infile.nes outfile.nes

Feel free to share builds, make improvements, make batch files or graphic interfaces or whatever the hell you like.

Attachments

• TNES-converter-v1.zip
    5.7 KB · Views: 607

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I had a go at making a NES -> TNES converter. I tried to keep it simple, the code is probably terrible and ugly, but it seems to work. Zip contains the source (should compile on windows and *nix) and a mac binary (compiled on 32bit snow leopard, would presumably run on 64bit and newer os x versions). I borrowed some simple file access functions from makerom because I'm lazy, thanks 3DSGuy. It supports the mappers listed earlier in the thread, more can be added easily as they're figured out.

It runs from the command line,
tnes infile.nes outfile.nes

Feel free to share builds, make improvements, make batch files or graphic interfaces or whatever the hell you like.
lol i had just nearly finished something similar....but it was based on a python script thing i found online..... :P

Reactions: hippy dave

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, the more the merrier :)

I couldn't get Qix to run, but I'm not convinced the problem is with the converter.
Also I had a first go at making a nes multi-rom, I shoved 8 roms in there but when I started the .3ds it just loaded the first one, didn't show a menu.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well it seems to work as intended........but to be clear i ain't no coder, so i just worked with what i could :D
also it only works on headerless roms, (i.e the top line removed if it already has the "NES" header)
....so for what its worth :P

Needs python installed, just drag your headerless rom onto fix header.bat

Attachments

• nes header fix.zip
    348.2 KB · Views: 593

Mikecrowfone

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having an issue with NES multirom too. gamesquest1, how do you get multirom for nes? I've tried having "vc_rom.bin" and "vc_rom2.bin" and it doesn't work. I opened vc_rom.bin with hxd and copied everything into the end of vc_rom.bin and it's still a no go.

Tried your nes header patcher and it works great. You should probably bold the pre-requisite of having the original header removed. Took me a while to get that.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Oh cool, using a database is nice.
yeah its mostly plagiarism, from here http://greg-kennedy.com/wordpress/2012/05/30/ines-header-fixer/, and the data base was from here http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/
both slightly tweaked to the *correct* layout and mapper ID (relatively speaking)

Hey, the more the merrier :)

I couldn't get Qix to run, but I'm not convinced the problem is with the converter.
Also I had a first go at making a nes multi-rom, I shoved 8 roms in there but when I started the .3ds it just loaded the first one, didn't show a menu.
Having an issue with NES multirom too. gamesquest1, how do you get multirom for nes? I've tried having "vc_rom.bin" and "vc_rom2.bin" and it doesn't work. I opened vc_rom.bin with hxd and copied everything into the end of vc_rom.bin and it's still a no go.

Tried your nes header patcher and it works great. You should probably bold the pre-requisite of having the original header removed. Took me a while to get that.
it seems the multirom menu triggers on some VC bases and not others, there is actually version strings in the .code too, so one VC rom is not the same as another

Basically go for the smb3 VC base...it may be in others too though(well the strings for the multi rom menu appear to be in others at least...it just doesn't trigger for whatever reason)

Reactions: hippy dave

Dark Fulgore

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm having some issues with the multirom. I got a lot of games to work, like all three Super Mario Bros in the same ROM.
I got some others working too, but when I put all of them, like 6 ROMs on the same file, some of them doesn't work, even if they work separately.

Anyone knows what is the limitation for that?

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I wanted to change the banner of the VC ROM I built. So I change the banner image in the Banner Maker, ran the script in the banner folder and then the script in the main folder. I changed the unique ID in the gw.rsf file and built the VC ROM, but it still shows the old banner. Anything else I have to change?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
did you copy the outputted "icon.icn" and "banner.bnr" into the folder you are working with for (probably decrypted\exefs if your using the tools from this thread, you will either need to rename them to "icon.bin" and "banner.bin" or exit the makerom.bat to use the .bnr and icn files instead of the .bin files

I'm having some issues with the multirom. I got a lot of games to work, like all three Super Mario Bros in the same ROM.
I got some others working too, but when I put all of them, like 6 ROMs on the same file, some of them doesn't work, even if they work separately.

Anyone knows what is the limitation for that?
hmmm i just tried it out and it does indeed only seem to want to load the first 2 games.....sucks

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
did you copy the outputted "icon.icn" and "banner.bnr" into the folder you are working with for (probably decrypted\exefs if your using the tools from this thread, you will either need to rename them to "icon.bin" and "banner.bin" or exit the makerom.bat to use the .bnr and icn files instead of the .bin files
Yes, I did exactly that.

Dark Fulgore

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I wanted to change the banner of the VC ROM I built. So I change the banner image in the Banner Maker, ran the script in the banner folder and then the script in the main folder. I changed the unique ID in the gw.rsf file and built the VC ROM, but it still shows the old banner. Anything else I have to change?

Delete the compressed.cgfx before running the banner.py script and change the UniqueID again.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
no i think you only need to change the unique ID if you change the icon or app title, they are cached by the system, but the banner isnt, so you can change that without changing the unique ID

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, @salazarcosplay hi