The Final Physical Cartridge Release of the 3DS is Coming April 21st

Nintendo formally announced that the Nintendo eShop for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U systems will be closed in March 2023. However, that hasn't fully discouraged one developer from getting in what could possibly be the very last retail game before Nintendo tells developers that they can no longer develop for the platforms.

The indie developer William Kage, through his company Squire Games, has recently announced that his new game Fragrant Story will be released on April 21st, 2022. A limited run of the physical copy will also be available through the Squire Games Store, and it will also be available digitally until the closure of the Nintendo eShop on the 3DS.

According to IGN, Kage is not the only developer attempting to release games before the closure of the eShops on the 3DS and Wii U. Two other indie developers, Luke Vincent (Harold's Walk) and Jerel Dulay (Silver Falls) are also planning releases before the eShops close, some of which are still waiting on approval by Nintendo. This also includes rumors of at least three more physical releases, Kage himself admits on Patreon, which could actually be the final cartridges if Nintendo approves of their release.

UPDATE: Fragrant Story is out now on the Nintendo eShop and is available for more pre-orders. An extension to this article can be found here.

:arrow: Fragrant Story Official Website

Last edited by HarveyHouston,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Andro Dunos 2 is really supposed to be the last physical game, maybe (on a per region basis). Read this post from the dev of Fragrant Story for some context on why that is:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/the-last-physical-3ds-game-title-63992005
Cool - Interesting post from the dev there... I already have the physical release of Andro Dunos 2 from Pixel Heart on 3ds... although as the cia was available, my physical will remain sealed... might do the same with this one, although (regardless of relevance on an exploited system) the region locked "NA only" release bugs me.

Last edited by duwen,
Reactions: zoogie

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since my article on Fragrant Story's release was not featured on the front page, I made a bold move and linked to it in the article above. Anyone who did not see that article is welcome to click the link to see it in the User-Submitted News forum.

BabuFrik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Shame its NA only, I would've got a physical copy, but it would be useless for me here in Europe.
1650705465983.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol