The Final Physical Cartridge Release of the 3DS is Coming April 21st

Nintendo formally announced that the Nintendo eShop for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U systems will be closed in March 2023. However, that hasn't fully discouraged one developer from getting in what could possibly be the very last retail game before Nintendo tells developers that they can no longer develop for the platforms.

The indie developer William Kage, through his company Squire Games, has recently announced that his new game Fragrant Story will be released on April 21st, 2022. A limited run of the physical copy will also be available through the Squire Games Store, and it will also be available digitally until the closure of the Nintendo eShop on the 3DS.

According to IGN, Kage is not the only developer attempting to release games before the closure of the eShops on the 3DS and Wii U. Two other indie developers, Luke Vincent (Harold's Walk) and Jerel Dulay (Silver Falls) are also planning releases before the eShops close, some of which are still waiting on approval by Nintendo. This also includes rumors of at least three more physical releases, Kage himself admits on Patreon, which could actually be the final cartridges if Nintendo approves of their release.

UPDATE: Fragrant Story is out now on the Nintendo eShop and is available for more pre-orders. An extension to this article can be found here.

:arrow: Fragrant Story Official Website

Last edited by HarveyHouston,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I read that the deadline to submit your games for the 3ds and the wiiu has since past. it's kinda sad to see it end. I think the vita submission thing ended last June or so. good system, but nearly unplayable with all its drm.

Reactions: codezer0 and Henx

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: slaphappygamer

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I read that the deadline to submit your games for the 3ds and the wiiu has since past. it's kinda sad to see it end. I think the vita submission thing ended last June or so. good system, but nearly unplayable with all its drm.

The Vita right? There are ways around that

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't be surprised if there were other devs out there sitting on stuff so they can be the "last 3DS game" and all. Limited Run or Vblank or someone like that.

Edit: Just noticed the link from Zoogie.
Would not be surprised if it was Retro City Rampage and Shakedown Hawaii from Vblank, just like for the Wii. One of those two games has been the "last game released" for a number of consoles (Wii, PSP, PS3...) so I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to do the same for 3DS.

Last edited by CeeDee,
Reactions: zoogie

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
"good system, but nearly unplayable with all its drm."

What

Reactions: DarthDub

Sworly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad I've hit the end of getting the 3DS games I wanted to get (that I enjoyed from years back or that I always wanted to play) physically. Still a few stragglers, but not willing to shell out for the cost of certain games that I'll not have time to play in the future.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
..Thought the last physical cart for the 3DS that was approved by Nintendo, was released like back in 2019? and then no one can release anything after that..

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
..Thought the last physical cart for the 3DS that was approved by Nintendo, was released like back in 2019? and then no one can release anything after that..
That was the last 1st party game, cart or digital: Kirby extra epic yarn. Back in March 2019.
Since then there's been dozens of 3rd party games including a handful of carts, the last of which should be out this month.

Reactions: Sworly and CoolMe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol