Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Only annoying thing is that you get a nag to format your usb drive on the wiiu.
There's a Windows program, a Wii/vWii homebrew, and a Linux/Mac command line to "hide" the drive from the WiiU.

it's called Ustealth.
It's modifying the drive signature, so the WiiU think it's already formated in wiiU format and don't ask you to format it.
Of course, these "hiden" drives will also be hidden on Windows ! you'll have to use Ustealth program again to make it visible on computer again before adding games to it. then make it hidden before using on WiiU.

Chewi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way for emulators to be compatible with a Ustealth-formatted HDD? Or am I completely restricted to keeping emulators and roms on the SD card if I want to also have USB Loader?

ShoyoJames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason whenever I load Wii games and VC Wads on my vWii through WiiFlow, they just launch right back to the vWii's home menu, whereas they load perfectly fine on my other Wii.... Any help? vWii works with everything else (GC, emus)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is there any way for emulators to be compatible with a Ustealth-formatted HDD? Or am I completely restricted to keeping emulators and roms on the SD card if I want to also have USB Loader?
Most used emulators already have a version compatible with ustealth.
They can be found in Ustealth thread's first post (and/or scattered inside that thread and you'll have to search the links)

What about wuphax way? You dont need any game or 2gb sd specifically only boot.elf and that app.
Like I recommended when this method was released : It's best to wait until it becomes easier !
And, it is now :)
since monday, Fix94 released a homebrew to install HBC automatically from HBL. There's no need of IOSUHax or WUP Server anymore!

I guess we could now start writing a guide about that method, it became safer ! and lot easier, as there's no more fw.img to compile, etc.
Users will have no issue following the guide.
it's basically only a file copy to SD method, and visiting wiiubru.com/go to launch HBL (you don't even need WiiU HBL on your SD, just the whuphax installer in apps folder and Hackmii installer on SD root)

For some reason whenever I load Wii games and VC Wads on my vWii through WiiFlow, they just launch right back to the vWii's home menu, whereas they load perfectly fine on my other Wii.... Any help? vWii works with everything else (GC, emus)
You correctly installed vWii cIOS ? not wii version.
You made a new NAND dump or used the one you had on Wii ? You need to make a new NAND dump and install your games on the vWii emuNAND (not the wii emuNAND).
If both are already fine, I don't know the reason. You could try with USBLoaderGX just to see if the issue is the loader or the settings, or your softmod.

FRITZINATOR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any way to recover my old wii games on USB loader GX? I have only 7 games show up from my Wii hard drive(I had over 60), which is weird since all of my gamecube games are showing up. I ordered a y cable for the Wii U hoping that might solve the problem. Anyone know if this is just a setting I can fix on the USB loader?

EDIT: I believe the format was both WBFS and NTFS on the same hard drive? Its been awhile since I did this

Last edited by FRITZINATOR,

Erzak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having trouble getting USB Loader GX and Nintendont to work together on my vWii. I followed the instructions in this thread to the letter, ripped a Wii game to my USB drive, then used my old Wii and CleanRip to rip one of my GameCube games and also put it on the USB drive. Both games show up in USB Loader GX, and the Wii game launches and plays fine. If I select the GCN game, it opens Nintendont, but doesn't launch it, I get the option to select SD or USB, similar to when I ran Nintendont from the HBC for the first time. I've gone into the options and selected Nintendont as the loader for GCN games. If I run Nintendont from HBC and select USB, it shows me the list of games on the USB HDD, and I can launch and play it okay. Though if I make any changes, such as turning on memory card emulation, they aren't saved, and I have to change that setting everytime I launch Nintendont.

I do have a 2nd HDD plugged into the rear bottom USB port (for use with Wii U), but it's not powered on, so it shouldn't be affecting things, should it? If I leave it powered on, then Nintendont gets confused and won't see the USB HDD that I'm using for Wii/GCN games.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem before. My thought at the moment is to delete and then re-install both USB Loader GX and Nintendont, and see if that fixes things.

Thanks

FRITZINATOR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried to rip Skyward Sword on GX loader, keeps crashing. Any reason why? Again, only 7 of 50 games show up on the vWii while on the regular Wii they all show up. I am using a y cable to power the harddrive and no luck. Any one having the same issue?

FRITZINATOR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My vWii setup with this guide doesn't play retail gamecube discs, it doesn't even read the disk. try two times and eject...
The wii U doesn't read game cube games at all. You'll either have to download them and put them on the HDD or use a old Wii to rip them

flzmx

pull requested once
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After installing the d2x custom IOS listed in this guide, whenever USB Loader GX gets to initializing USB device, it stops while my USB device use light is flashing (so I guess it's doing something.)
EDIT: Beta 53 also gets stuck. Another USB maybe???
Edit 2: it was the USB drive :(

Last edited by flzmx,

panamex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi there, I have a question.

Regarding with the use of UStealth , I have right now two hard disk drive of 2TB, one using for Wii U brazilian method, and I want to use another hard disk drive of 2TB both seagate brand, the one I use with my normal Wii, full of backup games in FAT32 format.

So my question is: My two HDD are the same brand and the same size of 2 TB, when using and prompted with UStealth, which hard disk drive should I select? It will appear both? or the only one formatted in FAT32? Because I want to get rid of that message of formatting HDD.

Thanks.

GR-DRACULA

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hi there, I have a question.

Regarding with the use of UStealth , I have right now two hard disk drive of 2TB, one using for Wii U brazilian method, and I want to use another hard disk drive of 2TB both seagate brand, the one I use with my normal Wii, full of backup games in FAT32 format.

So my question is: My two HDD are the same brand and the same size of 2 TB, when using and prompted with UStealth, which hard disk drive should I select? It will appear both? or the only one formatted in FAT32? Because I want to get rid of that message of formatting HDD.

Thanks.
the one drive will be formated to wiiu format so you will hide the other one the WiiU will be unable to find it so I think you are good to go

t1op

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. This guide isn’t dated. There aren’t any “new” developments that will likely crop up post-writing, so what’s here is what there is.

What is Required for Installing the Homebrew Channel?

Req 1. A physical copy of one of the following games and the hack file associated with it. Click the image to search Amazon for a copy, and click the hack name to get the files.

Thanks for the awesome guide!!!
You should update the installation of the homebrew channel method to include the newer, easier way.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wuphax-v1-1-hacking-vwii-from-wiiu-mode.446786/

Reactions: Rodrigo Mafra

fij

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks a million for taking the time to write such a comprehensive guide on vwii modding.
You've saved me hours of grief.

Kudos to you!

FiJ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nTSxdJWZiRA