The company behind Denuvo launches its "Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection", claims to "solve" Switch piracy

1661351599_Nintendo-Switch-Denuvo-arrives-announced-an-anti-emulation-protection-system.jpg

Irdeto is a brand that some may not be familiar with, but many will know the name of their controversial anti-piracy software, Denuvo. After attempting to crack down on the piracy of PC games, Irdeto has set its sights on the Nintendo Switch. Believing piracy to be rampant on the platform, either through modded consoles or emulation, Irdeto has unveiled their aptly named "Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection" technology.

As with all other Denuvo solutions, the technology integrates seamlessly into the build toolchain with no impact on the gaming experience. It then allows for the insertion of checks into the code, which blocks gameplay on emulators.

They claim that their solution, which would run similarly to Denuvo, would have occasional checks to ensure the software was legitimate, and prevent the games that use it from being emulated. Irdeto also promises that there is no impact on the gaming performance with it enabled, a claim that has led to many controversies in the past with Denuvo.

Beyond the press release, there's not much known about the Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection, when it will launch, and what games it will launch with. By the phrasing in the announcement, however, it appears that Irdeto is targeting indie developers or third-party studios more than they are Nintendo itself, specifically for multi-platform games that can be protected from piracy on both PC and Switch.

:arrow: Source

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
did anyone follow up on this? they did an interview and nintendo had nothing to do with this, so people can stop complaining about nintendo being the culpright or whatever for this stuff

I mean, Denuvo already lies about their fecal DRM not impacting games, how can we believe them saying that craptendo wasn't the one asking them to implement it, lol
They're also the only company with a console on the market that would have said DRM, and using a meme from YourMovieSucks: "Mmmh, suspicious"

Wouldn't be the first time craptendo or any other company lies to our faces, mh

MrQQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mass effect andromeda was the first denuvo game that was cracked for single player. It will happen its only a matter of time. Course the idea that anyone using emulators is purely a pirate is an incredibly narrow minded view considering some of these systems/cartidges dont work or cannot be bought anymore

Last edited by MrQQ,

Ampersound

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Guys, no need to worry!
The Switch is powerful enough to easily handle the added workload of constantly checking whether the game you're playing on your switch is being run by an emulator or not.
Let's make those games stutter (even more)!

I highly doubt a lot of indie devs are gonna jump on this. They need to be on good terms with everybody.

Reactions: Guacaholey

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is there really a market for that ??
Are indies really going to use this kind of garbage ? They already don't on PC, I don't know why they would on Switch
They can't think for a second that online checks would work either. Imagine having to connect to the Internet on a handheld to play a solo game.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, Denuvo already lies about their fecal DRM not impacting games, how can we believe them saying that craptendo wasn't the one asking them to implement it, lol
They're also the only company with a console on the market that would have said DRM, and using a meme from YourMovieSucks: "Mmmh, suspicious"

Wouldn't be the first time craptendo or any other company lies to our faces, mh
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo pulls any game using it if it ends up impacting performance. They pulled a 3DS game that let you make games in BASIC because they were afraid after homebrew became really popular it would lead to more entry points.

MrQQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
End of the day this seems to only affect emulators...I mean to say that they have crushed piracy on the switch despite the fact there are possibly millions of modified units out there is a bit, well bold and stupid lol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo pulls any game using it if it ends up impacting performance. They pulled a 3DS game that let you make games in BASIC because they were afraid after homebrew became really popular it would lead to more entry points.
It would be soooooooooo hilarious if this Denuvo implementation ends up opening some backport to mod their crappy consoles even more easily than what we got now, hah.
But guess at best we're just gonna see angry people that their games work like crap while them pirates laugh at their misfortunes, heh.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
This isn't going to thwart piracy, only make it slightly more annoying to those on old Yuzu builds. And whatever that other Emulator is that has a stupid name I can never remember. Ryu-something. (They really should change the name to something non-stupid.)

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This isn't going to thwart piracy, only make it slightly more annoying to those on old Yuzu builds. And whatever that other Emulator is that has a stupid name I can never remember. Ryu-something. (They really should change the name to something non-stupid.)
I prefer the name, "SwitchBlade" NGL

Seems alot..... more cooler

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So salty