The AVGN movie

D

Deleted User

it sucked not because of the special effects or anything, but the story was so boring and dragged for so long, and at times there were those ego trips about how important and amazing avgn is...
I watched because nostalgia critic mentioned it ( though, he said "if this movie was bad I'd be talkin about something else" and spent 15 minutes talking about something else. turns out he has a cameo in the movie. )

the movie has so many useless scenes, terrible jokes and such a weak plot, I just watched it for the ET review, and I couldn't endure the movie that came with it... I gave up halfway through
turns out it's in the credits and I watched it later, but that part too was a bit of an ego trip with the crowd laughing at his jokes and stuff

also I wonder why he didn't get mike matei to play his friend on the movie

antnj81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nostalgia critic's "review" on the AVGN movie was awful and ridiculously biased; I'm so over with the "rage review" scene.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
also I wonder why he didn't get mike matei to play his friend on the movie

He knew it was bad and didn't want to get flamed for being part of it.

The only part (which I didn't get to because I stopped watching this garbage after 45mins) was when Pat the NES Punk showed up (I'd think 'cause he's grown to be a lot better than James' is as AVGN).

Pat makes an appearance in Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie as part of the Nerd protesters/fan crowd. He has a few lines of dialogue.

http://avgn.wikia.com/wiki/Pat_Contri

It's a shame that I can't find a clip of it posted on YouTube because I don't want to watch this shitty ass movie again.

Reactions: antnj81

antnj81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He knew it was bad and didn't want to get flamed for being part of it.

The only part (which I didn't get to because I stopped watching this garbage after 45mins) was when Pat the NES Punk showed up (I'd think 'cause he's grown to be a lot better than James' is as AVGN).

http://avgn.wikia.com/wiki/Pat_Contri

It's a shame that I can't find a clip of it posted on YouTube because I don't want to watch this shitty ass movie again.

I think Mike wasn't in it because he's never actually appeared, in any AVGN videos, as himself.

I agree with the Pat comment. He's way better, his podcast is pretty cool too.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I rather enjoyed the movie. I thought the last 30 minutes was a little heavy on James Rolfe's retro filmmaking experimentation (he's mentioned he loves practical effects, etc), but overall I enjoyed it.

And BlackNerd's cameo was the best part, for sure.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at this point, aside from publicly apologizing for copying AVGN / being a dick and giving up the video game reviews, Irategamer is starting to look way better by comparison these days, imo
I wouldn't really know anymore. It was meant more as a joke. I haven't watched AVGN in a few years and I never watched Irategamer, just the controversy surrounding those two.

antnj81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't really know anymore. It was meant more as a joke. I haven't watched AVGN in a few years and I never watched Irategamer, just the controversy surrounding those two.

What was meant as a joke?

I had once been on the Irategamer-hate bandwagon and I his videos were identical. According to his recent video, he explains that some beef had occurred between that two and he claims that James would see on IG's webpage, that he'd be doing a particular game and beat him to the punch. Not sure if it's true, but who's to say for sure.

I must admit, when IG is not doing the angry game review thing, his videos are not that bad. He's been uploading some ghost chaser style videos and they're pretty good... or maybe I just appreciate them over AVGN beating a dead horse

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What was meant as a joke?

I had once been on the Irategamer-hate bandwagon and I his videos were identical. According to his recent video, he explains that some beef had occurred between that two and he claims that James would see on IG's webpage, that he'd be doing a particular game and beat him to the punch. Not sure if it's true, but who's to say for sure.

I must admit, when IG is not doing the angry game review thing, his videos are not that bad. He's been uploading some ghost chaser style videos and they're pretty good... or maybe I just appreciate them over AVGN beating a dead horse
I meant my initial comment that you responded to was meant as a joke.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe after 120 reviews, he's basically been there and done everything. the only thing i didnt like about the last video i didnt like was that he basically did the same thing before (giving all those naggy things weird names and such).

still more enjoyable that that marshmallow man and his bird though

Jontron is still a breath of fresh air that manages to crack me up every time. AVGN is stale and his acting is atrocious, his constant need to swear and mention fecal matter was kinda funny initially but got old real fast. James' shtick has been run dry, and it really would be in his best interest to just retire the nerd.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Jontron is still a breath of fresh air that manages to crack me up every time. AVGN is stale and his acting is atrocious, his constant need to swear and mention fecal matter was kinda funny initially but got old real fast. James' shtick has been run dry, and it really would be in his best interest to just retire the nerd.

People enjoy James & Mike Mondays so he could make money through this series and not attempt to ever bring back his deadbeat AVGN character, unless he actually puts effort into acting like he used to in the past (this means no sideburns!!).

antnj81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People enjoy James & Mike Mondays so he could make money through this series and not attempt to ever bring back his deadbeat AVGN character, unless he actually puts effort into acting like he used to in the past (this means no sideburns!!).

I've given this some thought, and after having revisted the original "Angry Nintendo Nerd" era, I've noticed that what I don't want from his show is long drawn out skits. I loved the original show because it was straight-forward, talk about the game, concluding thoughts, video over; I never viewed it as actingr since I had no other character archetype (the real james) to compare it to. To me if was just some dude in a nerd outfit, raging out, and drinking beer - a truly personified AVGN.
Ultimately I never watched it for his acting - which was always ONLY mediocre at best. The longer the skits got, the more uninterested I became.

James & Mike is just ok. And that's giving it A LOT of credit. I guess I'm just tired of looking at james' smug face; I think he's just overstayed his welcome and the transition to other avenues is just too little too late, imo

I totally agree that Jontron is a breath of fresh air - his quick wit and spastic editing keeps me entertained!
Lately, I've also been really digging The Completionist, Brutal Moose, and Cygnus Destroyer

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The Raid was made for less than a million dollars. Low budget isn't an excuse for looking like shit, it just means that you have to work within your budget.

Everything I've seen and heard of this movie has really put me off of it. The only people really praising it at this point seem to be those stuck in post-purchase rationalization. I like James Rolfe the guy, but the AVGN shtick got tired years ago; I'd like to see him move on, but I get the feeling that it just isn't going to happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raid:_Redemption

The Raid was a 1.1 million dollar Movie, Yes a budget movie but still around double that of the AVGN movie. I think at the most AVGN only had half a million. His Indiegogo only got him $350,000 and he still had to produce all of the rewards with that money.

To the OP: He said he wanted to do something more oldschool style so that means no CGI that would be clearly easier and cheaper to produce but that isn't what he wanted.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Vipera

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pat is a much better character overall: he regularly makes videos, he cares about his collection, he doesn't throw his name around for e-begging and scams (Cheetahmen 3 anyone?) and his reviews are honest. You can really see the guy trying.
JonTron is very cringey at times. I'm trying to get used to his character, but eh... I just can't.
As for the IG, I don't like his reviews. But I respect him since

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Pat is a much better character overall: he regularly makes videos, he cares about his collection, he doesn't throw his name around for e-begging and scams (Cheetahmen 3 anyone?) and his reviews are honest. You can really see the guy trying.
JonTron is very cringey at times. I'm trying to get used to his character, but eh... I just can't.
As for the IG, I don't like his reviews. But I respect him since

Pat was also part of that Cheetahmen scam btw.... James at least has come forward about the thing and apologized about what happened. Pat never came forward about it.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raid:_Redemption

The Raid was a 1.1 million dollar Movie, Yes a budget movie but still around double that of the AVGN movie. I think at the most AVGN only had half a million. His Indiegogo only got him $350,000 and he still had to produce all of the rewards with that money.

To the OP: He said he wanted to do something more oldschool style so that means no CGI that would be clearly easier and cheaper to produce but that isn't what he wanted.

I never said that I expected the movie to look like the Raid, or that they had similar budgets, but just used it as an example of what you can accomplish with an extremely low budget as long as you work within what your means. James had a small budget... and went out to California anyway, despite it being an extremely expensive place to film. That was just the first of many poor decisions, it seems.

To reiterate, I'm not saying that I expected beautiful effects work and masterful CGI or anything like that. My gripe is just that the final product looks amateurish, even for a B-movie, and the "It's all a part of the joke" excuse falls flat. There's an art to that sort of thing, and Garth Merenghi's Darkplace this isn't. It's especially disappointing because James has plenty of film experience; you'd think he could avoid the pitfalls.

JonTron is very cringey at times. I'm trying to get used to his character, but ech... I just can't.

Better.

Vipera

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pat was also part of that Cheetahmen scam btw.... James at least has come forward about the thing and apologized about what happened. Pat never came forward about it.
I can believe he knew nothing about this being a scam because of how he doesn't try to monetize on literally everything he does for the fans. Rolfe e-begged for his movie, his game, asked for donations in a way that you wondered if he was homeless or something, and forced Android users to purchase his shitty Cinemassacre video viewer app. And he made a whole video advertizing for this, coming from a guy who claims to be so busy with his private life that he makes two 15-20 minutes of videos recording him playing every two weeks and call those a "show".

antnj81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can believe he knew nothing about this being a scam because of how he doesn't try to monetize on literally everything he does for the fans. Rolfe e-begged for his movie, his game, asked for donations in a way that you wondered if he was homeless or something, and forced Android users to purchase his shitty Cinemassacre video viewer app. And he made a whole video advertizing for this, coming from a guy who claims to be so busy with his private life that he makes two 15-20 minutes of videos recording him playing every two weeks and call those a "show".

I must be living under a rock or just wasn't interested in AVGN's vids by this point, but what cheetaman scam are you talking about? Is there an article I can read about this?

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I must be living under a rock or just wasn't interested in AVGN's vids by this point, but what cheetaman scam are you talking about? Is there an article I can read about this?

Is that Cheetaman about the game or the cheese puffs? I'm confused as to what scam it is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1