Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
For a low budget labor of love type project, I have a lot of respect for the AVGN movie, James, and everyone else involved with it. But as far as entertainment goes, I found it rather lackluster. A lot of the jokes felt forced and unfunny, and the few elements that were genuinely funny were pretty forgettable.

His youtube series is a cult classic, but this movie I think will be quickly forgotten.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I watched AVGN's Spider-Man review last night and it was way better than the trailers he put out for his film or his newer game reviews. Back then AVGN felt more natural and not so much forced than he is nowadays.

Reactions: raulpica

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
The B-Movie vibe was what they were going for. The effects are supposed to look old and dated, in fact he probably wound up spending way more money on them that way. Models and pyrotechnics can actually get more expensive than CGing everything in.

antnj81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This movie was disappointing, plain and simple, but really I can't say I'm surprised, James Rolfe very clearly has never been a good "actor," he should just stick to silly game reviews. Having said that, I think his time of prominence has dissipated, I find game reviews from the likes of JonTron to be more enjoyable these days.

I couldn't agree more... I think rage reviews, in general, are on their way out. Personally, I'm just bored with hearing someone curse and complain about a game for 8 to 14 minutes. On a side note, I've been loving JonTron, BrutalMoose, and The Completionist lately

regarding any the specific thread topic... the trailer for the AVGN movie didn't look all that great - not based on the quality, but on the writing and delivery. I could be wrong though. oh well

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
So this over hyped AVGN was expected to be all that great and turns out it's worse than some of his modern episodes, I watched the first 45mins and couldn't go on for any longer because that shit not only wasn't funny, but the acting was too forced, swearing over the top, cheesy storyline and ET is not the worst game of all time.

Those shitheads need to go check out the crap that's on Steam.

4/10

Reactions: antnj81

antnj81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this over hyped AVGN was expected to be all that great and turns out it's worse than some of his modern episodes, I watched the first 45mins and couldn't go on for any longer because that shit not only wasn't funny, but the acting was too forced, swearing over the top, cheesy storyline and ET is not the worst game of all time.

Those shitheads need to go check out the crap that's on Steam.

4/10

thank you!

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
The worst part of any AVGN episode are the painfully unfunny skits he does. And seemingly the more effort he puts into a skit the worse it is. This is why I knew that a 90 minute long AVGN skit would be terrible and why I had no hope for the movie to be anything but painfully bad.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
James Rolfe posted his new review of ET which he did for the film and this was probably the best part about it anyway:

The fake laughs and smiles in this video from the audience is just rather unpleasant because it isn't authentic.

Now get back to game reviews and never do a film ever again, James. That was horrible.

Reactions: antnj81

antnj81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
James Rolfe posted his new review of ET which he did for the film and this was probably the best part about it anyway:

The fake laughs and smiles in this video from the audience is just rather unpleasant because it isn't authentic.

Now get back to game reviews and never do a film ever again, James. That was horrible.

"it's worth jack and shit... and jack left town"

DHARMAGREGCOUCH.gif

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
AVGN's got a new review out and.. it sucks.

I'd rather watch his Tiger review over Beetlejuice because the acting and authenticity of it are actually convincing.

I think James Rolfe is losing his acting talent that he had for his AVGN videos.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
maybe after 120 reviews, he's basically been there and done everything. the only thing i didnt like about the last video i didnt like was that he basically did the same thing before (giving all those naggy things weird names and such).

still more enjoyable that that marshmallow man and his bird though

antnj81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AVGN's got a new review out and.. it sucks.

I'd rather watch his Tiger review over Beetlejuice because the acting and authenticity of it are actually convincing.

I think James Rolfe is losing his acting talent that he had for his AVGN videos.

watch this... gotta love the AVGN parodies lol

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

antnj81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was much better than James/AVGN review of Beetlejuiece.

IIRC this was the same guy that did a hilarious review of Mario Kart Wii before I decided to purchase.
This was much better than James/AVGN review of Beetlejuiece.

IIRC this was the same guy that did a hilarious review of Mario Kart Wii before I decided to purchase.

here's another guy who does the same thing - I'm not sure who actually came first - but this specific review cracks me up, especially when he starts talking about the "baby koopa". The hate this guy gets is great; people cannot not understand this satire

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
The movie was about what I expected. It was entertaining at times but was essentially a movie length version of the "non-review" parts of the AVGN episodes where they do some kind of sketch. I'm still a fan of his but I'll always prefer the older reviews where it's mainly about playing the game. Episodes where he perseveres and beats a hard as hell game like Street Fighter 2010 or that horrible Famicom Transformers game are the ones I enjoy the most, followed by any review of a game I played as a kid.

I'll still be buying a physical copy of the movie though, just to have it on the shelf next to the other AVGN DVDs if anything.

Reactions: jDSX

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did anyone honestly think this was going to be a good thing?
I mean seriously. Youtube acting almost always leads to overacting and poor technique.

antnj81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did anyone honestly think this was going to be a good thing?
I mean seriously. Youtube acting almost always leads to overacting and poor technique.

not so much the acting, but was expecting better writing or, at the very least, visuals that didn't look like they were done on a $200 budget

antnj81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reliable way to tell if the AVGN movie is good is to wait and see how many scenes the Irategamer rips off in his movie.

at this point, aside from publicly apologizing for copying AVGN / being a dick and giving up the video game reviews, Irategamer is starting to look way better by comparison these days, imo

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
James Rolfe has lost his ability to act like AVGN and if he stopped posting new AVGN videos it's be for the best because he's just being himself not acting as AVGN any more.

And oh god.. those fucking sideburns look so bad on him as if his acting wasn't already awful (in attempt to play the AVGN character).

Anyway, there's always the Classic AVGN episodes and those are so much better which shows that James Rolfe knew how to act like his AVGN character before!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1