The 3DS May Not Die For a While, but...

81i+HSq6KjL._SL1500_.jpg
In an interview with TIME, Reggie Fils-Aime of NoA implied that the 3DS will continue alongside the Switch as a product marketed at younger consumers that want their own personal console. While the 3DS has always been seen as something geared toward a younger audience what with its plethora of family friendly games, this may imply that future games may or may not have the older consumer in mind.

Reggie to TIME said:
The Nintendo Switch, being a system that’s been in the marketplace now only seven months, certainly that’s a system that our teams will continue to develop for and bring fantastic new experiences. We have to do that to keep driving that platform forward. We view the 3DS as a very important part of our lineup, but really targeted against a different consumer. That product is really focused against new consumers in the Nintendo family, [such as] five, six, seven or 10-year olds [who want] their own dedicated system. And a system [on which] they can play all of these great games. So it’s going to have a different focus: entry consumers and consumers looking for a little bit more value.

So that’s how they’re differentiated. There will be new games for the 3DS line, so we’re not in any way stopping our activity for that platform. But it’s just focused on a different type of consumer.

:arrow:Source

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
then put out an iteration of the 3ds with a decent res, I will throw my money at you in a heartbeat
They did, it's called Switch. You can't just upgrade the screen resolution and do nothing to upgrade the graphics in games, and obviously they aren't going to remaster the whole 3DS library. I'd maybe expect a few 3DS remasters for Switch after 3DS is officially discontinued, though.

Two games (that I'm aware of) are actually on both 3DS and Switch already: Azure Striker Gunvolt and Fire Emblem Warriors. Both look way better on Switch, obviously.

Last edited by Xzi,

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nice try Regi, but we all know that most with a 3DS have it modded ;)
I doubt even 5% of 3DS users have it modded. Console modding and piracy isn't nearly as wide spread as people think.
Maybe the 3DS will get some niche games like the Vita after official support dies. Or get more homebrew at least.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,
Reactions: Ryccardo

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So they'll keep selling the 3ds until it makes more financial sense to drop it. Makes all the sense in the world. No need to follow some arbitrary console cycle if you make more money by just doing what you're doing. I still suspect it'll stop getting major titles over the next year or two, and will just get the kid-friendly budget games/easy sequels.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So they'll keep selling the 3ds until it makes more financial sense to drop it. Makes all the sense in the world. No need to follow some arbitrary console cycle if you make more money by just doing what you're doing. I still suspect it'll stop getting major titles over the next year or two, and will just get the kid-friendly budget games/easy sequels.
I was thinking they were gonna do a 3DS successor, but simply sticking with the 3DS systems they've already shipped at a lower price point makes a lot of sense too. At least until they start piling up on shelves with no buyers, which probably won't happen for a while yet.

Reactions: osaka35

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking they were gonna do a 3DS successor, but simply sticking with the 3DS systems they've already shipped at a lower price point makes a lot of sense too. At least until they start piling up on shelves with no buyers, which probably won't happen for a while yet.
I'm guessing they're going to treat the 3ds like they treated the NES/famicon. Just keep selling until folks stop buying. I'm kind of surprised by it too, though, I was expecting a successor as well. It'll be hard for them to make a "kid-friendly" switch, given the eco-system they're creating.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
OP
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
At least until they start piling up on shelves with no buyers, which probably won't happen for a while yet.
Which is why I said I don't see Nintendo releasing another handheld with the Switch being a hybrid. Nintendo has always been a two console company; a handheld and an at home console that both interact with each other in some way. Nintendo could be trying to go full hybrid with the Switch, but the "Gameboy" business model has been going strong for nearly 30 years.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I sincerely hope that they're not in the same style as Colleseum and DX. Those ruined stationary console Pokémon for me.
Nope, they said they were developing a mainline Pokemon game for it.
Although I wouldn't mind a sequel to Colosseum/XD. I had a lot of fun with them, especially XD, they were a nice chance of pace.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Not planning on getting the switch before the cheaper and better hardware revision of it comes out so I hope they squeeze a few more drops out of the 3ds.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
2018 is probably going to mirror 2013 for the DS. That was a year after Black/White 2.
A smattering of so so titles then gradually fade to nothing by 2014 (2019 in the 3ds's case).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm starting to sound like a Tck Gonna cut myself off.