The 3DS May Not Die For a While, but...

81i+HSq6KjL._SL1500_.jpg
In an interview with TIME, Reggie Fils-Aime of NoA implied that the 3DS will continue alongside the Switch as a product marketed at younger consumers that want their own personal console. While the 3DS has always been seen as something geared toward a younger audience what with its plethora of family friendly games, this may imply that future games may or may not have the older consumer in mind.

Reggie to TIME said:
The Nintendo Switch, being a system that’s been in the marketplace now only seven months, certainly that’s a system that our teams will continue to develop for and bring fantastic new experiences. We have to do that to keep driving that platform forward. We view the 3DS as a very important part of our lineup, but really targeted against a different consumer. That product is really focused against new consumers in the Nintendo family, [such as] five, six, seven or 10-year olds [who want] their own dedicated system. And a system [on which] they can play all of these great games. So it’s going to have a different focus: entry consumers and consumers looking for a little bit more value.

So that’s how they’re differentiated. There will be new games for the 3DS line, so we’re not in any way stopping our activity for that platform. But it’s just focused on a different type of consumer.

:arrow:Source

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The real reason why 3DS should be abandoned is because of how vulnerable it is. Nintendo can release new, good games on 3DS but they will never cash in as much money as they expect because there WILL BE people abusing their faulty system for pirating. But on the other hand, they have no good replacement for 3DS for now - Switch is completely different system that is directed to completely different group of players, it can't replace 3DS.
There really aren't that many people pirating on the 3DS.

The Switch probably won't replace the 3DS anytime soon. Because the audience is so different with the Switch targetting "hardcore gamers" and the 3DS being aimed at basically everyone making it a good platform for niche stuff like JRPGs.
Then we are not talking about game library, but games resleased for system.
That's generally what people mean when talking about the game library. You can play Wii games (Gamecube too if you ru Nintendon't on vWii) and a lot of Virtual Console games on the Wii U but we still consider the library to be poor because there's very little 1st and 3rd party support for actual Wii U titles.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

TaqiMollah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
In an interview with TIME, Reggie Fils-Aime of NoA implied that the 3DS will continue alongside the Switch as a product marketed at younger consumers that want their own personal console. While the 3DS has always been seen as something geared toward a younger audience what with its plethora of family friendly games, this may imply that future games may or may not have the older consumer in mind.

:arrow:Source
well that's a relief, despite what others say/think i have no problem with the 3ds being alive. just adds another awsome console to its lineup and hopefully some good games. personally i think the 3ds will stay till 2020 and am happy that that is the case since i dont have enough money yet to buy a switch :D im just a student

bbking67

FAMILY FIRST
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo's plan of making portable systems backwards compatible has really paid off, but it does introduce some constraints. Every system back to the original Gameboy had a smooth transition to at least the next generation system.

I think the other key is that the 3DS has a range of products starting at a very low price point (I Think the 2DS is $79.99 including a Mario game) all the way up to the New 3DS XL Special Edition ($200+). Great and unparalleled software library on the Nintendo system that should keep things going for a long while. I figure 3DS has a good 2-3 years left before it gets superceded and that is very good for Nintendo.

The next gen low cost portable could be a Switch compatible device (maybe just a newer version of Switch), but obviously with the current battery life and cost it's really a console more than a tablet. It's hard to classify these hybrid.

Reactions: AyanamiRei

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the 3ds was supposed to be the next generation of console for the same audience, whereas switch is just a new console in general, targeted for a different audience. 3ds won't go down the same way ds did.
It'll still go down. They're moving Pokémon to Switch after Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, and I'm sure most first party main titles will be on the Switch. The 3DS will be lucky if it gets turned into a niche console like the Vita. It'll probably just get party games and shovel ware for the next couple years until it becomes impractical financially to keep it alive.

haxan

Trophies
XP
Country
That's pretty harsh. I prefer the 3DS, but had no trouble finding good Vita games to play after buying a PSTV.
yeah I know but the Vita doesn't really have those "big" titles that draw attention to it, most of its games aren't that new or special sadly. it's a great handheld but I guess due to the fact that it doesn't have many (if not any) games that stand out, the system just died. it's pretty sad though, the vita had great potential of becoming a really popular handheld but because of bad choices it didn't. same thing goes for the WiiU as well.
for the 3ds, we have pokemon/zelda/mario etc games that gave it popularity and I guess that's why it still haven't died...yet lol.
do you think the Switch has the same fate in the future?

bbking67

FAMILY FIRST
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Vita is a good system, but just like the PSP there aren't that many titles that people will feel nostalgic for. Of course there are some good titles,. but nothing that approaches the Nintendo IP.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The Vita is a good system, but just like the PSP there aren't that many titles that people will feel nostalgic for. Of course there are some good titles,. but nothing that approaches the Nintendo IP.
that is the problem with sony handhelds every good amazing title gets ported to home console like most of the best psp games got ported to psp and psvita got afew of them ported too, so what is left is ok games that no one will ever remenber i guess what the vita has left that wasnt ported to other systems or sucks is like uncharted?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Depending upon where they sell it then it is a legal requirement. In the UK it would fall under the sale of goods act (you have to provide goods which last for a reasonable period of time), much of Europe has similar laws (it was probably an EU directive that kicked it all off) and loads of other countries do too.
I actually checked yesterday since I heard something like that from my father (who worked in the car repair industry), but there's no law that gives people a right to replacement parts - the legendary European warranty gives you a 2-year right (or 1-year if bought in the name of a company or for any professional use) to a repair/replacement/refund of a defective product at the discretion of the seller; the manufacturer, its warranty if any, and its terms are the seller's problem when you choose to take advantage of "any statutory rights" as the manufacturer calls them...

Hardware means nothing. You can create a decent game that will work on a toaster and you can create shit with bloated requirements. The creativity of game developer is what matters.

The real reason why 3DS should be abandoned is because of how vulnerable it is. Nintendo can release new, good games on 3DS but they will never cash in as much money as they expect because there WILL BE people abusing their faulty system for pirating. But on the other hand, they have no good replacement for 3DS for now - Switch is completely different system that is directed to completely different group of players, it can't replace 3DS.
Agree with the first part, but the R4 boom of 2007/2008 hardly affected the DS's reputation - neither did the lack of Wii/PSP updates in this decade (and those are comparatively hard to hack compared to a DS)

SushiKing

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i like them

There's something about those games that I just can't stand about it. IDK why but they seem so boring and dull.

Although I like those types of games like "Doom" and "Orcs and Elves", I love the RPG and art Style about them but I just can't seem to enjoy playing them.

D

Deleted User

There's something about those games that I just can't stand about it. IDK why but they seem so boring and dull.

Although I like those types of games like "Doom" and "Orcs and Elves", I love the RPG and art Style about them but I just can't seem to enjoy playing them.
the games are indeed boring at the start but if you play into the story abit the actually become really fun!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I actually checked yesterday since I heard something like that from my father (who worked in the car repair industry), but there's no law that gives people a right to replacement parts - the legendary European warranty gives you a 2-year right (or 1-year if bought in the name of a company or for any professional use) to a repair/replacement/refund of a defective product at the discretion of the seller; the manufacturer, its warranty if any, and its terms are the seller's problem when you choose to take advantage of "any statutory rights" as the manufacturer calls them...

I would be careful when drawing parallels with the car industry as they have a lot of fairly unique rulings to them (the warranty vs modifications thing be a good start), and are often the source of new ones. Equally for items of more than a fairly low value a credit card company can be liable for a kind of warranty as well, though most only meet it when the retailer has gone out of business.

That said I did look into Italy and it appears it might be a bit weaker there; I don't speak modern Italian, much less to the standard required to reliably parse laws, but https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreut...ontextData=(sc.Default)&firstPage=true&bhcp=1 seemed a reliable enough source for a first pass and it seems somewhat more in line with the American approach.

Contrast UK one, section 14 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54

Equally I suppose if you are going to make the manufacturer vs seller distinction, however I tend to find it tends to go both ways and retailers will refuse to stock anything that they end up on the hook for like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They're so cheap now why not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like the L angle connectors which add more force to it I guess which defeats the point
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i only buy new ones when theres a new standard and I have gear that uses it. Otherwise my cables seem to last forever.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Ween made a song about waving dicks in the wind.
    +1
    L angle cables are amazing when needed.
    @SylverReZ Yup. Been a longtime fan of Ween. Not a mega-fan by any means but I'm pretty familiar with most of their tunes.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like the wee
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I like electronics that use detachable cables, that way if the cable breaks you can just swap in a new one instead of replacing the whole unit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Ween-er :creep:
    they make brown music. lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Brown note
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    for keyboards, headphones or controllers ,it's a must have
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why mice won't get with detachable type c
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    most battery operated mice don't even work anymore if the internal battery dies
    the L hdmi adapters work great on my tv and receiver. so much less stress on the ports using them than regular cables. in that instance anyway.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bigger battery could defeat the need for weighted magnets tbf
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Worst MS OS in history. Period.