ROM Hack Tharsis Forge: an Etrian Odyssey IV Save Data Editor

Arikaido

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
November and December have been a bit rough in terms of real life things going on (health, family, Christmas, other projects), so development has been really slow. As I said in my last post, the editor is not dead, I'm still working with EO4 in general (both on the save data side and the "RomFS side", so to speak) and will make an effort to get back to this project in January, probably next week.

(Edit: I also recently got a PS Vita and played a lot of that instead of really working on anything substantial, period; you know, "got a new toy!" and all *cough*)

In the meantime, if anyone else out there has programming knowledge in C# and some familiarity with the game's and/or its save data's internals, feel free to submit pull requests on GitHub and such.
I hear that. I spent the last week on Smash in lieu of Cloud. Anywho, I'm not versed in any programming, but I'm always good to be a tester when you don't have time. Just let me know.

Arikaido

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question BTW, does the digital version of this game have that anti-savegame restore?
From this thread here (http://gbatemp.net/threads/antisavegame-restore-secure-value-updater-ps-acnl-prw-ssb-xy-oras.396644/), it wasn't included in the list, so I guess you don't have to worry about secure values & corruption, right?
Short answer: I don't think so.

Long answer: for any games that have it/might have it, you'll only trigger it by trying to restore an old file. Meaning you back something up (for whatever reasons), turn the game back on, save again, then inject that initial save. To avoid this triggering, all you have to do is make sure you don't save until you're certain you got the results you wanted.

Princess Emily

Smiles innocently...
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Important quick question BTW...
Are you sure this save editor doesn't contain any viruses? Because my computer just detected the "Tharsis Forge" file (with the EO4 icon) as a virus.

Or was it just a false positive?

xdaniel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Important quick question BTW...
Are you sure this save editor doesn't contain any viruses? Because my computer just detected the "Tharsis Forge" file (with the EO4 icon) as a virus.

Or was it just a false positive?

I ran the v1.2.1 release archive (TharsisForge-v121.rar) and the v1.2.1 TharsisForge.exe through VirusTotal and it didn't detect anything in either, plus the virus scanner I have on my system hasn't detected any threats in quite some time (and yes, it's running and kept up-to-date). So, I'm pretty sure it's a false positive.

Princess Emily

Smiles innocently...
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hmm, why is the app looking somehow different when I opened it?
It doesn't seem to look like the screenshots here (some of the basics are hidden in mine).

Here's a screenshot in my side: https://gyazo.com/ee78f1d14b03a3cf3c9abebcd67cc5fe
Which mean the Basic Info section is too chopped off :(
Is anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: This anomaly only happens in the "Characters" tab, while the rest are unaffected.

Last edited by Princess Emily,

xdaniel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hmm, why is the app looking somehow different when I opened it?
It doesn't seem to look like the screenshots here (some of the basics are hidden in mine).

Here's a screenshot in my side: https://gyazo.com/ee78f1d14b03a3cf3c9abebcd67cc5fe
Which mean the Basic Info section is too chopped off :(
Is anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: This anomaly only happens in the "Characters" tab, while the rest are unaffected.

That's... certainly odd. It looks like the Basic Information section and the character list have switched places, and the Skills/Stat Boosts have moved below the Equipment when they should be below the Basic Infos, for some reason I don't understand...

Hm, the only ideas I have would be to 1) re-download v1.2.1 from the GitHub page and 2) update your .NET Framework 4, either via Windows Update or by manually downloading it from the Microsoft website. Also, which you might want to do first, I'd scan the rest of your computer for viruses, in case there's something that's messed up the editor and/or the .NET Framework.

Princess Emily

Smiles innocently...
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
That's... certainly odd. It looks like the Basic Information section and the character list have switched places, and the Skills/Stat Boosts have moved below the Equipment when they should be below the Basic Infos, for some reason I don't understand...

Hm, the only ideas I have would be to 1) re-download v1.2.1 from the GitHub page and 2) update your .NET Framework 4, either via Windows Update or by manually downloading it from the Microsoft website. Also, which you might want to do first, I'd scan the rest of your computer for viruses, in case there's something that's messed up the editor and/or the .NET Framework.
I transferred to a laptop BTW, and for some reason that anomaly never happened.

Only when I'm using a desktop PC, that would happen.
Dunno if it has an outdated .NET Framework BTW or something (the last time I installed .NET Framework was on 2011 or 2012, as a requirement for that RNG Reporter for the Pokemon games back then)...
BTW, the laptop has .NET version 4.5.1

EDIT: This desktop PC has .NET version 4.5, but I doubt it's the cause of that odd anomaly :o
EDIT 2: Just installed 4.6.1, and the problem is fixed now, as seen in this screencap: https://gyazo.com/069ad1de01d72119795fd1eeb97be8c6
(You can ignore Randall Boggs if you want :P)
BTW, is a +50 stat boost per level up a bit too much? ^^'

Last edited by Princess Emily,

ZeroTronFrank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is cool but where can i find the mori4.sav file to start all of this. If its already on the SD card, where on the SD card can I find it?

Princess Emily

Smiles innocently...
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I hope you can make a save editor for EOU1, as I bought one from the eShop sale last Feb.1

I guess EOU1 & EOU2 might be harder because of additional mechanics such as Grimoire Stones especially :o

Svartsang

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Right, serious question here: Where can I find the mori4*.sav file? I really want to screw around with this but searching on how to find the file is inconclusive.

xdaniel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Right, serious question here: Where can I find the mori4*.sav file? I really want to screw around with this but searching on how to find the file is inconclusive.
You'll need 1) a way of running homebrew on your 3DS (I assume you already have that, just saying for completeness sake) and 2) some homebrew to extract and reinsert the game's save files. It is multiple files, by the way, thus the "*" placeholder - mori4game.sav, mori4gdcard.sav, etc. There's a short tutorial in the original post, using one specific save manager tool, but there's several ones these days (ex. JKSM) which should all be able to get the required files.

Basically, using whatever method of running homebrew software you have, start a save manager, select your cartridge/digital copy of the game, extract the save files from the game's data onto the SD card (however exactly the save manager works), copy these over to your PC and load them into the editor. When you're done editing, copy the data back onto the SD card, go back to the save manager and reimport the save into the game.

Svartsang

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You'll need 1) a way of running homebrew on your 3DS (I assume you already have that, just saying for completeness sake) and 2) some homebrew to extract and reinsert the game's save files. It is multiple files, by the way, thus the "*" placeholder - mori4game.sav, mori4gdcard.sav, etc. There's a short tutorial in the original post, using one specific save manager tool, but there's several ones these days (ex. JKSM) which should all be able to get the required files.

Basically, using whatever method of running homebrew software you have, start a save manager, select your cartridge/digital copy of the game, extract the save files from the game's data onto the SD card (however exactly the save manager works), copy these over to your PC and load them into the editor. When you're done editing, copy the data back onto the SD card, go back to the save manager and reimport the save into the game.
Right, thanks. Hopefully shouldn't take too long before I can get to actually using this editor.

NANASHI89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks awssome! Can you do a save editor for Persona Q? It's pretty much Etrian Odyssey, Persona flavored...

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Sheesey

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I know this thread is a little bit old, but I need some help. I can't get anything edited. No matter what I change, whenever I re inject the edited save file, it's identical to the save I made before edit. But if I open the save folder with your program, it still shows all edited values that I made..... any idea?

Koruchan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am so sorry to necro this thread, but I'm having the exact same issue Sheesey was having a while ago. I can make edits in the save editor, I can hit save, and if I load it back up in the save editor, it shows the changes. But if I put my four save files back in my 3DS and try to load it, it doesn't show the changes. I dumped my cart so I could try it on Citra and it can't see the changes either.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am so sorry to necro this thread, but I'm having the exact same issue Sheesey was having a while ago. I can make edits in the save editor, I can hit save, and if I load it back up in the save editor, it shows the changes. But if I put my four save files back in my 3DS and try to load it, it doesn't show the changes. I dumped my cart so I could try it on Citra and it can't see the changes either.
Are you injecting the save back afterwards with the save manager you are using or are you just loading the game after using the save editor?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this is him being described +1