• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I mean in a portable system, if the battery life is shitty. Who wants to carry around a bunch of batteries or a useless piece of tech once there is no juice?

My brother owned a Game Gear and, later, so did I. They were only ever used at home, where a power adaptor was available, or on long car journey - where it was plugged into the cigarette lighter.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
except for the Virtual Boy, i have them all :)

i love my "NGP Color" and my "SwanCrystal" (Improved Wonderswan Color with TFT LCD instead of FSTN LCD and 512Mbit RAM instead of 256Mbit) and still play them once and awhile
the Nomad, just eats to much batteries, the Game.com is really garbage as is the Tiger R-Zone

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
why put The Nintendo Game Boy Color in the list, its head and shoulders above the rest.

only cracks heads will vote for Nintendo Game Boy Color.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

cdoty

Trophies
Website
www.rastersoft.net
XP
Country
United States
...Wonderswan.

Here's two minutes of what Wonderswan sucking looks like:

The Wonderswan beat both the Gameboy Color and Neo Geo Pocket Color in graphics quality and specs.

If I remember correctly, it was the first portable system with a Mr. Driller port.

It was also the first handheld to have an official homebrew option:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WonderWitch

The NEC PCFX was the first official console to have one.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I remember wanting a Nomad. The only home console I had was a Genesis up until someone gave me a PS1. When I was really young, my favorite games were Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Tinhead, and Vectorman. I still play them with an emulator on Wii. A friend of mine had and played Nomad last I talked to him...although he used a 12V sealed lead-acid UPS battery and a 9V regulator to run it. It was hilarious seeing him play it at university last year with that big battery on the table and a backpack full of genesis carts. Sucks I didn't own a decent phone until about 4 months later or I'd have a picture. Technology has come a long way...

Gameboy Color shouldn't even be on this list. I had a GBC (was what I got instead of the Nomad). I played that thing for hours on end on long car rides. Tons of games for it, and GB games were compatible too.

I can't speak for WonderSwan or NeoGeo, as I've never played either of them. In fact, until this post, I'd never heard of WonderSwan. That tells you how well it was advertised and how much it's talked about nowadays...

VirtualBoy wasn't a total flop. A friend had one, and yes, it sucked. Gave everybody headaches and the rest of it left something to be desired too, but even today there's still a following for it.

That can't be said for the Tiger stuff, which is pure junk. R-Zone got my vote.

cdoty

Trophies
Website
www.rastersoft.net
XP
Country
United States
I can't speak for WonderSwan or NeoGeo, as I've never played either of them. In fact, until this post, I'd never heard of WonderSwan. That tells you how well it was advertised and how much it's talked about nowadays...

The Wonderswan was only released in Japan. I think Bandai was considering releasing a US version, but the dominance of the Gameboy stopped them.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I think that the only people voting for Game.com are the ones who have never tried the R-Zone :ha:

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the people not voting for the R-Zone are either major R-Zone fanboys, just clicked a random pick, can't read and think they were voting for the best console, or just have mental issues.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I totally agree the R-Zone shouldn't be on the list since it was mostly a red backlit game-swappable POS Tiger wannabe handheld and the VB is a "portable" but definitely not a "handheld". Either way the VB is thought of, if the R-Zone were removed the Game.Com should take the prize.

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
why put The Nintendo Game Boy Color in the list, its head and shoulders above the rest.

only cracks heads will vote for Nintendo Game Boy Color.
The game boy color is a a new version of 9 years old handheld at the time of its release with a thiner design and a colour screen. Making it worse there were only a few colour games. Because of this I have no problem voting for the game boy color.
It was really a very big disappointment at its time. Everybody wanted a really new handheld from Nintendo after 9(!) years.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Ugh. Where does this thing belong? It’s not really a console, not really a handheld - someone will complain no matter where I put this thing.

The virtual boy is officially classified as a console, not a handheld. it was marketed for its "portability", yet never officially referred to as a handheld that i am aware of.

In order to keep the price low Nintendo opted for a monochromatic screen with red on black

proper colored LEDs did not exist at the time. red was the only LED capable of producing a bright enough light to create the "3D" effect. LCD technology was toyed with but deemed too blurry and too expensive, which is why they went with LEDs and mirrors (a technology they didn't even invent). red was not a design choice but a limitation of the available technology.

i'd love to talk more about how nintendo failed to properly market this system, how they forced a prototype into production, how they limited which devs were allowed to make games for the system, etc, but that is all off topic. ;]

-another world

Reactions: TripleSMoon

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game boy color is a a new version of 9 years old handheld at the time of its release with a thiner design and a colour screen. Making it worse there were only a few colour games. Because of this I have no problem voting for the game boy color.
It was really a very big disappointment at its time. Everybody wanted a really new handheld from Nintendo after 9(!) years.

There were quite a few good games for GBC actually. Zelda Oracle games, Shantae, Wario Lands, SMB Deluxe, Bionic Commando, Blaster Master, DKC, DK Land 3, etc. Not to mention the colorizing of GB mono games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste